What Kind of Libertarian Are You?

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Lift:

You have to admit, though, that principals can get so “bastardized” over time as to 1) lose their original meaning and 2) be totally replaced by the “bastardized” version.

[/quote]
Yep, you are absolutely right and this is true of every ideal.

The people who form the status quo adopt the vocabulary of the revolutionaries only so that they may change the meaning of the words in order to wrest control back to the status quo.

But as long as enough intellectuals maintain their moral courage and tenacity society will change what it believes over time – it is really the intellectuals that drive society and their beliefs.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

You have to admit, though, that principals can get so “bastardized” over time as to 1) lose their original meaning and 2) be totally replaced by the “bastardized” version.

[/quote]

It’s true and it’s achieve through propaganda.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Hey Lift, how many libertarians does it take to change a light bulb?[/quote]

It takes the whole free market , Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Wow. That directly reflects every “libertarian” that’s on this board, and some of the conservatives as well.

I especially like the one about the white guy asking how not serving blacks is racist. Being as we’ve had that ridiculous argument on this board

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Wow. That directly reflects every “libertarian” that’s on this board, and some of the conservatives as well.

I especially like the one about the white guy asking how not serving blacks is racist. Being as we’ve had that ridiculous argument on this board [/quote]

No.

WE had the argument how it is any of your business how racist someone is as long as he is racist with his own money.

[quote]orion wrote:

I especially like the one about the white guy asking how not serving blacks is racist. Being as we’ve had that ridiculous argument on this board [/quote]

No.

WE had the argument how it is any of your business how racist someone is as long as he is racist with his own money.

[/quote]

Excuse me franz, I have no idea what the fuck that sentence means.

[quote]orion wrote:

No.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I speak Austrian-English. He means that if a racist excludes people from their own private property, so be it. If Hooters doesn’t want to hire obese women, or even men, so be it. Otherwise, the property isn’t private property, as we might view our homes. He means that you should have the same expectation for all of your property, as you do for your own home.

[quote]orion wrote:

No.

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was the point.

Moral distinctions are not your forte, you prefer the sledge hammer approach.

Lets try this:

If government discrminates because of race: bad.

If I do not want to serve black customers I may be an ignorant asshole, but I am being an ignorant asshole on my own time and money. This is none of your business.

Yes, this is racism.

So what?

It is first and foremost a property rights issue and property rights are the core of libertarianism.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

It takes the whole free market , Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha [/quote]

Heh. Pretty much what I was going to say. “None. The free market will take care of it.” Lift did say his maid would do it, too.

Libertarians have made themselves a laughingstock, especially here at PWI - and now I have a handy poster as a reference guide. This is fantastic.

That’s cause I care about you TB!

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

It takes the whole free market , Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha [/quote]

Heh. Pretty much what I was going to say. “None. The free market will take care of it.” Lift did say his maid would do it, too.[/quote]

I did not say she changed the light bulb herself but she is the one who gets paid to figure trivial stuff like that out.

Liberals are fucking stupid and rely on distortion to argue against reason. A big part of me actually wants the US economy to collapse utterly just to see these fucking freaks get what’s coming to them.

[quote]orion wrote:
That was the point.

[/quote]

No, you speak English like shit sometimes.

Yes, and it’s fucking stupid. You’d allow a racist society to be created, enforced, and purveyed under the guise of “libertarianism.” Shouldn’t expect less from an Austrian I guess, but still…

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Liberals are fucking stupid and rely on distortion to argue against reason. A big part of me actually wants the US economy to collapse utterly just to see these fucking freaks get what’s coming to them.[/quote]

Right, and all conservative arguments are based in reason and logic. OK. Thanks for your contribution, go back to digging holes.

[quote]orion wrote:

No.

[/quote]

How is a racist going to be so, JUST with his money ?

I’m the adorable kind of libertarian.

And I’m the mean n nasty kinda ultra right wing conservative extremist.

[quote]orion wrote:
That was the point.

[/quote]

Yes, and it’s fucking stupid. You’d allow a racist society to be created, enforced, and purveyed under the guise of “libertarianism.” Shouldn’t expect less from an Austrian I guess, but still…
[/quote]

I guess I would have to expect that kind of reasoning from someone from New Jersey?

[quote]orion wrote:
That was the point.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, it is stupid. But more than stupid, it shows the poverty of this type of “libertarianism.”

To claim that “it is first and foremost a property rights issue,” is also to claim that there are no other important first principles. Once orion has set his “axioms,” you see, none dare challenge them, and among them is the primacy of property rights.

Of course, this argument that justifies the practice of racism ignores at least three pieces of history.
‘Property rights" was the justification used by slave holders, and it was no more a valid excuse in the 19th century than now.
Second, the Jim Crow laws were enforced on the public by states’ laws, not by individual choice only.
Third, a racist confronted with his illegal bans does so because he runs a “public accommodation.” If he wants to be a racist in the privacy of his own hovel, now one will know or care. But if he runs a public accommodation, surely orion’s axioms indicate that all money is created green and equal, and to discriminate against the holder based on his race violates one of the basic tenets of “Austrian libertarianism.”

(Surely orion or Lifty will protest that property rights do not include the right of “aggression” against others, but here is yet another tiresome example of defining away the irrationality of their version of “libertarianism.”)

So, FI, you are absolutely correct, this self-designated “philosophy” IS stupid, especially were it assigns primacy to supposed “property rights” in preference to…justice.