What Kind of Exercise is This?

i’m wondering what kind of exercise is it when you stay in one position for a certain amount of time, and what kind of results would i see from doing these exercises? example: in the squat position with arms out parallel to the ground. will i see improved balance, strength, muscle mass, tone?

[quote]p-dubb wrote:
i’m wondering what kind of exercise is it when you stay in one position for a certain amount of time, and what kind of results would i see from doing these exercises? example: in the squat position with arms out parallel to the ground. will i see improved balance, strength, muscle mass, tone?[/quote]

forgot the name,but we used to put our backs against the wall and then squat down untill your legs were paralel feet flat back straight aginst the wall like your sitting down but nothing under you.

and legs close together about shoulder width apart.

these stress your core and legs alot.
have you tried it?

I suggest you do try it they burn like hell after a while
havent done these since high school wrestling and karate though

i’m probably going to start a routine with exercises like that, i’ll definitely add that one. thanks. someone reply with names and the type of exercise it is though.

[quote]p-dubb wrote:
i’m probably going to start a routine with exercises like that, i’ll definitely add that one. thanks. someone reply with names and the type of exercise it is though.[/quote]

if no one else finds it I will dig up my old notes and find out for ya

we used these along with pushups situps and one where we laid down with your hands flat under your butt to raise your hips
then hold your head up and feet up 6 inches off the floor and help it for time

dont remember the name of that one either
got me thinking about doing the same body weight exersises also.

thanks for the question

wall sit-isolates the quads but also works the abs and lower back Wall sit - Wikipedia

this is what you are talking about right?

static holds

yeah, thats what i was talking about, thanks.

i need to go back to middle school, i should’ve known what isometric exercises were

[quote]p-dubb wrote:
i need to go back to middle school, i should’ve known what isometric exercises were[/quote]

I forgot all about these myself,yet they were one of the most effective if not the most effective exersises I have ever done.

I will be adding these into my new routine for sure now cause you asked about them.

I’m a big fan of isometrics, but you won’t see any strength or mass gains from unloaded iso holds unless you have never done any resistance exercise in your entire life.

Isometrics really rock and ought to be part of everybody’s training. They do a couple of things I like:

1. Let you practice maximizing motor unit recruitment. Ever wonder how gymnasts get strong? They do isometrics.

2. Let you practice moving through sticking points safely. Go to your sticking point (e.g. on bench) and do an isometric. You’ll like the results.

Strength carry-over is about 15-20 degrees of motion (so in whatever position you have, about 7-10 degrees motion on either side). Matter of fact a few months ago there was an article here where basically one of the coaches was extolling the virtues of working in isometric squats as you do your regular squats. Good idea.

Oh, you can do isometrics with or without external load. It is good to both since this gets you open and closed chain movements.

– jj

Those are called Wall Sits