What Kind of Dog to Get?

I’d never get any type of dog besides German Shepard. They’re the primary choice for police dogs for many reasons. I think the main reasons are that they’re smart and they’re predictable.

With a little knowledge, you can look at a GSD and tell what it’s thinking and what it’s going to do. I got one that was the direct descendant of an actual police dog and it was the best dog I ever owned. They’ve got great personalities and they’re very much interested in their owners - i.e., not aloof. Only downsides: long hair and need exercise. I was a jogger when I had mine and took him on daily ~5 mile runs. I would consider either a daily jog or a daily off-leash run a minimum for almost any dog.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
I can only tell you from experience what dog NOT to get

Whatever you do DON’T GET A BEAGLE!

Unless of course you want a dog who will:

1. Pee in your house.

2. Steal food off your plate.

3. Chew up your shoes, or anything left with in reach.

4. Growl at you when you smack him on the butt for doing anything wrong.

There are many more things that Beagles will do wrong. But, I don’t have the time and don’t want to live through it all again.

A Beagle will ruin your life…don’t get one.[/quote]

LOL. My former neighbors have a beagle (Doodlebug.) They have since moved, but they spent ten years in the house near me with Doodlebug. The dog was never housebroken and the place still smells like dog pee. Still, though, they’re cute as the dickens.

[quote]baretta wrote:
Does anybody here have a doberman? I love those dogs and always wanted one. Any advice would be appreciated. [/quote]

My doggie’s a Dobie/German Shepherd mix. She’s really stupid, silly, moody and at times quite fun.

Research, research, research and when you think you’ve settled on a breed that fits your personality, lifestyle, and taste research even more. Go to dog trainers in your area. Find a trainer you like even before you settle on a dog. Don’t go to a pet store for a dog. Go to petfinder.com or a licensed breeder. Do not go into this blind.

Please, please do not get a bully type dog until you have done all your research, met with bully owners and bully trainers. There are already too many bully-ignorant owners out there ruining it for the rest of us. My lovely state of MA is looking at banning pit bull type dogs because of the stupidity of a few.

I’m not calling you stupid, but please don’t go into this lightly. Remember: research.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
Is there any dog breed in particular that’s known for ridiculously goofy behavior?[/quote]

English Bulldogs. Can be lazy, but when they’re “on” they are total clowns.

Very good with kids/people too. Although they are stubborn and definitely not the sharpest knives in the drawer, I like dogs that I can trust…

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
Research, research, research and when you think you’ve settled on a breed that fits your personality, lifestyle, and taste research even more. Go to dog trainers in your area. Find a trainer you like even before you settle on a dog. Don’t go to a pet store for a dog. Go to petfinder.com or a licensed breeder. Do not go into this blind.

Please, please do not get a bully type dog until you have done all your research, met with bully owners and bully trainers. There are already too many bully-ignorant owners out there ruining it for the rest of us. My lovely state of MA is looking at banning pit bull type dogs because of the stupidity of a few.

I’m not calling you stupid, but please don’t go into this lightly. Remember: research.[/quote]

Good advice.

I’d give another vote for an APBT or AmStaff, but only if you know what you’re getting yourself into, and have either owned one before, or have done extensive research on the breed.

Tumbeh,

I also live in MA and was upset to hear about the legislature proposing a ban (BSL). Did you attend the public hearing a few weeks ago? I couldn’t go, but I did write a letter to the legislators expressing my disgust with their proposal, along with reasons why they should not pass the bill of course.

It always saddens me when I hear just how ignorant the average person is in regards to the true nature of the APBT/AmStaff. When in actuality it’s irresponsible/immoral owners who are to blame, not the animals themselves.

“Punish the deed, not the breed.”

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:

dog breed selector

According to which would suit me best, I have all sorts of ugly-ass dogs, except for a samoyed, which I would ABSOLUTELY DIE FOR![/quote]

thanks for that link, it came up with about 30 dogs I have never heard of nor seen

probably a really good place for someone to start

Here is a picture of my Boston ‘Buddy’

I’ve got a almost 9 yr old Boxer, great dog lover her to death.

And I wanted a Bull Mastiff but settled for the smaller version…a Puggle. Great dog as well, loves to get under covers!

I’ve learnt a lot of fascinating info at

www.dog.com

Very interesting history on all the breeds.

For example, never knew that poodles had their hair cut like that because they are water retrievers, and the hair on their knees is to prevent joint problems (I imagine by keeping their knees warm).

If you have to ask stangers whatg kind of dog to get, you’re not ready to get a dog at all.

An English Bull Terrier!

I have 2 choc. labs; Mousse & Guinness. They are great with kids and very smart…well, one of them is more intelligent than the other actually.

Anyway, they are complete opposites so you really don’t know what your dog’s personality will hold unless you give them a simple test when they are pups in the litter: pick him up and hold him facing you then rotate your hands down toward the ground so he is facing belly up in the air; the longer he struggles the more independent he is and if he does not struggle at all he will be passive.

I’ve found that Mousse who was more independent and tough to train is more intelligent hence better behaved. Guinness means well but he sometimes meanders into the neighbors yard. Also, I can leave a pizza out on the floor and tell them not to touch it and come home hours later pizza in tact, so when you’re struggling with the whole chewing phase know it will subside, it just takes time.

So many beautiful dogs on this thread! I would second all of the advice about considering energy levels and space to run around when choosing a breed.

I recently got my first dog and he is the best thing in the entire world! His name is Vino and we love him to death. He’s small, a shihtzu-toy poodle mix, but quite energetic. He thinks he’s a much bigger dog than he really is- has no problems barking at the great danes next door! :slight_smile: