T Nation

What Kind of Dog to Get?

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any good reccomendations on what kind of dog is the best. I would love to get a new pal and am undecided on what to get. I love boxers and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I’ve had a lot of different kinds of dogs growing up and if you are looking for a dog that will be loyal to you and your family I suggest getting an Akita, pit bull, queensland healer, and or any mix of the above. I prefer mixes. they just seem more balanced.

labs are my personal favorite.

they are friendly, energetic, smart and easily trainable, easily cared for and fun to run, wrestle, hunt etc with.

[quote]texasguy wrote:

they are friendly, energetic, smart and easily trainable, easily cared for and fun to run, wrestle, hunt etc with. [/quote]

Agreed.

Beagles are probably the cutest breed. Unfortunately, they’re also the stupidest. They will eat until they die. My sister’s roommate just adopted one. He is just as I’ve described (except he hasn’t gorged himself to death…yet.)

For some really interesting opinions regarding dogs, do yourself a favor and consult this thread.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1407850

We have a docksin named oscar. At first i thought he was gay but he is an awsome dog. very smart plays is lazy good lap dog and very protective and aggresive towards strangers

[quote]texasguy wrote:

they are friendly, energetic, smart and easily trainable, easily cared for and fun to run, wrestle, hunt etc with. [/quote]

+1

I was watching my dad’s yellow lab a few weeks ago while he was away for the weekend at a wedding out of town. Never had so much fun with a dog before. I sat on the dock for close to an hour throwing a toy out into the lake for her to fetch. I took her to the bar on the lake and she behaved perfectly with the millions of people walking by and wanting to pet her. The only time she barked was when she had to go outside to take a leak.

My dad has had 3 labs over the years, all were very well behaved. He had a black lab years ago but had to find a better home for it, it simply had too much energy for him. So if you are looking for a dog that you can do a lot of active stuff with, I’d say look at a black lab or a Dalmatian(notorious for having tons of energy).

My childhood dog was an Alaskan Malamute. He was huge(about 95lbs, which is a little large for the breed)and most people were terrified of him but they are very affectionate towards people. Unfortunately we had to put him down after he tore the Sheriff’s Doberman to shreds. They are great around people, but they will pretty much try to kill anything smaller than them or another dog that they feel threatened by. I found the remains of a rabbit or raccoon in his den under the deck about once a week and he did get into a few fights with the neighborhood dogs.

They tend to not take directions well(he never was house trained, he liked to pee on the sofa), the breed is very free spirited, they tend to do what they want. They are extremely loyal and affectionate to humans in spite of that. A friend of mine actually got one for his birthday because he loved my dog so much.

http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

dog breed selector

According to which would suit me best, I have all sorts of ugly-ass dogs, except for a samoyed, which I would ABSOLUTELY DIE FOR!

Tosa or Lab

Boston Terrier

This family I know has a part rotweiler, part german shepard, part boxer mixed breed. The dog is 140 pounds right now, hes an absolute monster. He had his rough times as a puppy and was aggressive at first (he tore their car door of the car, he grabbed the fucker and ripped it off) but now hes a gentle giant. Great around kids, other dogs, protects everyone. Awesome dog.

I have a black lab mix. Love him to pieces, he’s pure black and I call him Thor. I’ve trained him to start barking when I raise my arms in the air and yell, " THOR! - DOG OF THUNDER!!!" Oh well, my kids think it’s kind of cool. But the hair! dude! The hair is friggin killing me! Hair everywhere! If you want easy maintenace, go for breeds that don’t have long hair!

[quote]awill53 wrote:
We have a docksin named oscar. At first i thought he was gay but he is an awsome dog. very smart plays is lazy good lap dog and very protective and aggresive towards strangers[/quote]

haha, we have one of those too. I thought it was lame at first but now I like him. They tend to be a little over protective which can be good or bad. We also have a lab who is great, especially with kids. I strongly recommend a lab if you have kids or plan to.

Also consider space available for the dogs to play. We have a nice back yard for the lab…we don’t need much space for the little guy though. Lab = 110 pounds. Wiener dog = 10 pounds.

Whatever you do, don’t get a 2007 model pug:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/dog_breeders_issue_massive_recall

I would avoid getting any kind of pit-bull mix for the simple reason that there’s all sorts of new restrictions and laws being written about them because of pit-bull attacks.

Whether or not you think they’re inherently more dangerous, it’s possible that your new best friend could be taken away from you and euthenized against your will in a few more years.

[quote]mclemorejohn wrote:
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any good reccomendations on what kind of dog is the best. I would love to get a new pal and am undecided on what to get. I love boxers and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.[/quote]

How many people do you have to feed?

I had a boxer way back in the day. SUPER high strung dog. Fun as hell though and real playful.

3 or 4 Great Danes. More personality than probably any dog I think (except for my old German Sheppard). Morris was 6’5" on his hind legs, would walk down the street every night to the Chinese food store to get scraps. Great all around dogs.

1 German Sheppard. Dear god that dog was smart. Super loyal and friendly and I raised her from a pup and had a lot of love for her. Figured out how to open doors, turn on the water (really sucks when you come home and your neighbor’s lawn is flooded), and if she wanted in the other yard she would walk by the fence, hit every single slat to see which was loose. If that wasn’t to be she simply made my Great Dane and Bull Terrier stand beside each other, climb on their backs and hop over the fence. Had to let her go because she got into so much. Sucked.

Bull Terrier= fun-loving retard. Just fun damn dogs. Goofy ass personality but smart. Love to wrestle and play fetch. By fetch I mean you throw the ball, he grabs it and you chase him around the yard for it. If you yelled at him about something he’d role over and play dead. You could drag him all over the place and he’d just lay still.

Pit Bull. She was incredible. Had her when I was little. My mom used to let us play outside a lot because that dog would watch us. If somebody got near us she reacted. People would actually borrow her to help watch their kids while they played. Got into my mom’s chocolate covered coffee beans once.

My mom got out the shower and felt somebody was lookin’ at her. turned around and Peetie was sittin’ on the chair eyes bulgin’ starin’ at her. Every time my mom would try to call somebody about it the dog would walk up and take the phone away.
Bull dogs. Just badass. Fun and cuddly.

Assorted 8-10 pound muts. Doxin-Chihuaha-Pug in random orders. Eat like crazy, very protective but love the hell out of you. Follow you everywhere and sit on your lap. Fun to play fetch with.

Hey man I grew up on a Ranch so have had many diffrent dogs in my life so far.

I think We need ALOT more information before someone can recomend a dog breed, size of yard, time, etc, etc, etc

I agree labs are great

German Shepards are also great and SMART easily trainable to. My German Shepard mutt that still lives at the ranch is probaly the best dog I have ever owned, extremly obident and I swear knows english and speaks it sometimes to. After living on 100+ acre ranch her whole life she couldn’t deal with moving with me to a 1/4 acre yard…

I lived here for a year and not having a dog for the first time in my life sucked so I went and got this beast, he is part Rot and part Bull Mastiff, in this picture he is about 6 months old and weighed 94lbs

He is very nice and smart to, likes to chew shit up and gets to exicted, also dosn’t know how big he is yet, but is learning. Not very aggressive either but getting a little bit more now that his balls dropped.

He is a monster which makes him a little bit of a handfull but I love him

Oh yea he drools a bunch to which is annoying and will only get alot worse as he gets older!

I’d go mutt from the pound, unless you find a breed you totally fall in love with. Tends to get rid of the annoying traits of a particular breed.

[quote]mclemorejohn wrote:
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any good reccomendations on what kind of dog is the best. I would love to get a new pal and am undecided on what to get. I love boxers and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.[/quote]

There are so many variables as to which dog is right for you. Yard size, exercise it will actually receive per day, food budget and time you would want to spend grooming.

My personal favourite dog is in fact the boxer but at this point in time, I don’t have the right sized yard for one. I am on the lookout for a decent British Bulldog at the moment.

Is there any dog breed in particular that’s known for ridiculously goofy behavior?