What Kind of Cardio for a Bad Back

[quote]deanec wrote:
…these episodes have actually worsened as I have go myself into better shape. I have probably missed 6 weeks of training since the beginning of the year because of this.
quote]

Stetch your hipflexors as if your life depended on it. No doubt they have tightened up as you have shaped up. Also be very conscious of your pelvic tilt, I’m betting you have a pretty good anterior tilt. Best of luck.

I had surgery 2 years ago in June.  They removed part of a disc that had ruptured and was pinching the nerve.  Out-patient surgery and I was moving around a little bit the next day.  2 weeks after the surgery, I started on the stairmaster and also started lifting.  Both started slow, obviously.  The lifting has changed quite a bit to protect the back: no squats, chest supported rows, and extra ab work and back extensions.  I do play soccer once a week and this doesn't seem to bother me.  Every once in a while the back will stiffen up a little bit for a day or two.  I believe this seems to be if I skip my stretches and press-ups for a couple of days which seems to mostly happen on the weekends.  Good luck, however it turns out.

Glad you are doing well. It is nice to see someone doing well after surgery. A lot of horror stories out there…

[quote]timmwwaa wrote:
deanec wrote:
…these episodes have actually worsened as I have go myself into better shape. I have probably missed 6 weeks of training since the beginning of the year because of this.

Stetch your hipflexors as if your life depended on it. No doubt they have tightened up as you have shaped up. Also be very conscious of your pelvic tilt, I’m betting you have a pretty good anterior tilt. Best of luck.[/quote]

My hip flexors definetely are tight as well as hamstrings. I have made some progress but will keep working…

I’ve had lower lumbar (L4-L5) problems for over ten years. After a lot of experimentation, I settled on using a semi-recumbant bike (I have a Precor model). This bike in combination with Charles Staley’s EDT programs has really helped me greatly. Good luck.

Good questions. I’m looking for some of these answers too. I find that stretching after using a regular bike is fine for me. What really gets rid of the Sciatic pain for me is Pilates using a reformer. There are stretches in Pilates that I can’t duplicate w/o the reformer apparatus.

Hamstring, hip flexor stretches are very important. Stretching my back in every possible way is also crucial to prevent me from transferring the stress from one end to the other.

Reverse extensions are also very useful.

R-S

When your pain has diminished, you may want to retry a sprint session, but on flat ground. Like you, I’m dying if I do any hill work, but if I stay at or below a 3% incline, I’m fine.

Good luck!!

How about some light sled pulling.These seem to help me when my back was jacked.I went for time and carried a stop watch so evey time i stopped the watch stopped.I worked up to 30 min.with a 45lb.plate on a tire sled going up and down my street.I started at 10 min.and 25 lbs.worked up from there.