What Is Your Ultimate Goal?

This article I feel really “spoke” to me. I have been trying to cut for sometime due to my endless struggle with leanness. I consider myself an endo-mesomorph and if I ate the typical American diet I would be sitting at around 18-20% body fat. Since I have been a member of T-Nation a few years I usually am able keep it around 14%. About a 3-4 weeks ago, I found out that our Exercise Testing and Prescription class was going to a state school to use learn to use their hydrostatic weighing equipment. I decided to see how lean I could get for it. That was a couple of days ago and I am proud to say I came out at 9-10% at a height of 5’10" and weight of 200.

I was planning on staying with the whole lean-eating thing, but after reading this, I feel I should work in at least a month of bulking before I cut down for my wedding in May. I have just completed my off-week from training and am really motivated to get back into the gym. I think I will make my second run through Waterbury’s Quattro Dynamo since it has been a couple of years since I completed it previously and its a pretty heavy program. I want to pack on as much mass as possible and know that I need a lot more calories than my typical 2800-3000 to do it.

However, as a endo-ish type I find myself concerned with at least minimizing the accumulation of body fat while I bulk (I regularly play basketball and get general exercise). I am wondering what diet I should go with for this quick mass phase. I have done AD in the past, but find it very difficult to stay on since I eat at a college cafeteria where it is hard to find a lot of non-carb foods. It has also been a long time since I have been on a higher carb diet. I am considering a moderate to high carb diet for this phase making sure that the great majority of my carbohydrates are coming from clean sources (100% whole wheat breads, oatmeal etc.).

What do you guys think is the best approach diet-wise. I know its not a long term bulk that I very well may need, but if there is ever a time to be ripped I feel its at my wedding and during my honeymoon.

Thanks guys.

ajweins, Dante (author of the article) typically recommends carb cut offs 4-5 hours before sleep, drinking green tea all day long and pre-breakfast cardio, usually just walking, for 45min twice a day. The last one in particular is customizable naturally.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Scott M wrote:

Also if there is one argument about black vs white bodybuilders on this thread I will have the whole thing deleted, if you want to argue that go somewhere else because that is not in any shape or form why I’m posting this.

Yeah, but what about the asian bodybuilders…:P[/quote]

They’re just crazy.

A one month bulk is an oxymoron, seriously. If you have serious designs on size and being lean for your wedding/honeymoon is important, just wait till you settle in.

I have had the pleasure of talking to Dante on the phone.

If you can’t get inspired by his balls to the wall, take no prisoners approach to putting on muscle, you should probably take up some sort of functional strength type of lifestyle.

For those of you who want a link to the man himself -

Just watching the pop-up flash is enough to give me a stiffy. And notice the use of the Smith Machine…good stuff.

[quote]ajweins wrote:

I was planning on staying with the whole lean-eating thing, but after reading this, I feel I should work in at least a month of bulking before I cut down for my wedding in May.

What do you guys think is the best approach diet-wise. I know its not a long term bulk that I very well may need, but if there is ever a time to be ripped I feel its at my wedding and during my honeymoon.

[/quote]

First of all I wouldn’t have you do Quattro Dynamo but you can pick whatever program you feel will allow you to make the most consistent progress in the gym.

For people that tend to gain fat they need to move towards a more “caveman” type diet. Alwyn Cosgrove had a funny name for these type of diets by calling it green faces. If it isn’t green, ie fibrous vegetables, or had a face, ie animal protein sources, you don’t eat it.

I would have you eat your protein requirements(1.75xbodyweight most likely) per meal, boat load the veggies to fill up the old gut, and when applicacable add a healthy fat source. Think fish oils, olive oil, nuts of all kind, borage oil, evening primrose oil, there are many choices. Post training have a protein+carb with trace fat meal or shake, and back on the protein+veggies style. Your last 1-2 meals would be just protein+veggies with no added fats. Drink green tea as much as you can stand it, upwards of a gallon a day. The health benefits are numerous not to mention the metabolism raising effects that are the real key we are going for. Upon rising every day I’d ask you to take 5 grams BCAA or 1/2 scoop trace/no carb protein powder along with some green tea and a mild fat burner of your choice, then knock out 45-60 minutes cardio done at a low-moderate pace. Once a week take the first half of the day and eat whatever cheat foods you want then go back on the regular eating plan, you will look like a million bucks the day after your refeed.

You’d be eating your protein and training progressively in the gym to stimulate and fuel muscle growth while taking care of the bodyfat with the trace carbs green tea and frequenty cardio. Turn the body into a food processing factory and don’t be suprised come May if you aren’t just a little bigger and leaner. Just my thoughts

So for the less advanced of us around here, it just comes down to

  1. eating a shit load of clean food and timing carbs and fats
  2. doing regular cardio
  3. lifting like a madman

Are these the take home points of this article? (seriously)

[quote]Mys7icaL 0n3 wrote:
So for the less advanced of us around here, it just comes down to

  1. eating a shit load of clean food and timing carbs and fats
  2. doing regular cardio
  3. lifting like a madman

Are these the take home points of this article? (seriously)[/quote]

Yep.

Trouble is, lots of people like to pretend you need some amazingly complicated routine that must change every 6 days or you will fail to make any progress. They also underplay the effort that eating enough takes.

Reading what Dante had to say along with some of Trevor Smith’s stuff, got across the clear point that unless you are pounding 2 grams of protein per 1lb of bodyweight, you are selling yourself short on potential progress. If you aren’t getting progressively stronger and eating progressively more food you simply aren’t going to make any serious progress.

I always had a goal of getting to 250lbs and seeing what that looks like, that still is my goal.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I have had the pleasure of talking to Dante on the phone.

If you can’t get inspired by his balls to the wall, take no prisoners approach to putting on muscle, you should probably take up some sort of functional strength type of lifestyle.

For those of you who want a link to the man himself -

Just watching the pop-up flash is enough to give me a stiffy. And notice the use of the Smith Machine…good stuff. [/quote]

Dante’s a monster and I’m not even referring to his physique. I don’t personally go along with every single syllable that ANYBODY says, but that guy has a very deep and thorough understanding of what type of person you have to mold yourself into to get as far as you can in this game. In his world you attack the weights and the food with the psychopathic ferocity of a starving lion and that mindset is what’s missing in people more than any other component.

It’s become cooler to know what sarcoplasmic means than to bust your ass until your hairs pop out of their follicles.

the pop up video used to come up everytime i went to IM but now I can’t find it. anyone go the link?

once again, great post scott

[quote]ZYL281 wrote:

the pop up video used to come up everytime i went to IM but now I can’t find it. anyone go the link?

once again, great post scott[/quote]

Z,

It pops up for people that are new/aren’t logged in. If you are logged in automatically it won’t come up.

[quote] Joe wrote:
If you aren’t getting progressively stronger and eating progressively more food you simply aren’t going to make any serious progress.

[/quote]

Oh shit, you let it out… the secret :wink: Good post.

Trevor had the right idea as well(great guy and very spiritual as well, too bad he left RIP) just attacked it in a different avenue. People love to look for the differences in approaches but I try to look for the similarities. Trevor used drop sets/forced reps, Dante uses rest pause etc etc etc. What’s the similarity though? Trevor and Dante and their trainees train(ed) to be the strongest MFers in the world and eat like freakin sumo wrestlers to bring up their bodyweight dramatically(with certain measures to keep bodyfat in check if necessary or desired).

They both also had/have(god I hate having to use past tense for Trevor) through the roof intensity because with their low volume approaches you just can’t half ass it and get it done, you need to be a total bulldog in the gym.

I could post for days about this haha but I’ll save you guys the burden.

Do you train intense? Trevor did, this is his face doing forced reps on his 3rd drop(note the plates on the ground and the extra dumbbells attached to the pullover) and this is his PRE EXHAUST before his main back exercises. If you take one of the strongest most instense trainers ever to train for bodybuilding, and make him eat his way up to incredible bodyweights(can you say 900 grams protein and 400 lbs?)it turns out you get a monstrosity of a man.

The day someone starts looking at what the biggest guys are doing/have done is the day they start going in a straight line towards their goals instead of zig zagging and getting nowhere fast.

[quote]ZYL281 wrote:
Just watching the pop-up flash is enough to give me a stiffy. And notice the use of the Smith Machine…good stuff.
the pop up video used to come up everytime i went to IM but now I can’t find it. anyone go the link?

once again, great post scott[/quote]

It doesn’t pop out if you’re logged in.

Watching that video makes me wish I had at least occasional access to some machines. Machines lend themselves very well to ball busting intensity techniques. I can’t wait for the 150 pound guys saying that machines suck.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Watching that video makes me wish I had at least occasional access to some machines. Machines lend themselves very well to ball busting intensity techniques. I can’t wait for the 150 pound guys saying that machines suck.[/quote]

where’s the video im dying to see it.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Watching that video makes me wish I had at least occasional access to some machines. Machines lend themselves very well to ball busting intensity techniques. I can’t wait for the 150 pound guys saying that machines suck.

where’s the video im dying to see it.[/quote]

The link ScottM posted above.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Watching that video makes me wish I had at least occasional access to some machines. Machines lend themselves very well to ball busting intensity techniques. I can’t wait for the 150 pound guys saying that machines suck.

where’s the video im dying to see it.

The link ScottM posted above.[/quote]

shit, that really was intense, can’t wait to hit the weights now.

Skip is a great guy as well.

I was thinking about this some more and wanted to throw a word in about the individuality factor in all this. My ultimate goal and the reasoning behind the I DO want to be huge thread is growing myself as large as I CAN

Everybody cannot be possibly be as big as everybody else. I’d like to see more guys strive for whatever they’re capable of. I have respect for anybody who’s busting their ass and showing the commitment to achieve their maximum whatever that may wind up being.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I was thinking about this some more and wanted to throw a word in about the individuality factor in all this. My ultimate goal and the reasoning behind the I DO want to be huge thread is growing myself as large as I CAN

Everybody cannot be possibly be as big as everybody else. I’d like to see more guys strive for whatever they’re capable of. I have respect for anybody who’s busting their ass and showing the commitment to achieve their maximum whatever that may wind up being.[/quote]

That’s very true as well. Someone made a post on another thread about 300 lbs at 10% bodyfat being unheatlhy and my thought(and I think professor said something about it as well) was who the hell is that big haha? You can count the guys who at an average height have achieved that without having to take off your shoes to keep track.

On that genetics thread I had a couple months ago I tried to get the point across that some of the more dangerous things(megadosing AAS, SEOs, etc) some people are willing to do to try to match up with the big boys is very scary. If Joe Bodybuilder walks around at 240 and lean without AAS or moderate dosages and you or I needs to run 2 grams of gear a week never coming off to maintain that and we do it we are total losers in my opinion. I’d(like you) would rather see people go at this as a journey to their own personal limits if they so choose, not chase a dream that is possibly unatainable and can cost a lot(health, freedom).