T Nation

What is Your Resting Heart Rate?

Random question, it seems that bodybuilders would have a lower than average bpm. Mine is 58 at the moment. Have you noticed your bpm go down since you first started working out?

when i first walked into a gym a few years ago it was 80ish bpm.
nowadays it is about 55 bpm.

no fucking clue lol

Mine usually ranges from 58 to 62, down from a little above 70 when I first started working out.

Mines about 55-60, right before my workout I get jacked on ECA or Caffeine/Yohimbe and try to hype myself up a bit for it, so walking into the gym I’ve gotten it as high as 90, just walking to the gym. Ephedrine tends to raise the heart-rate a bit though.

it’s a good idea to keep track of it. Mine is usally 55-60 when in shape

I’m not saying going from 80 to 55 is bad, or that even 50 is too low, but if it dips (i.e it’s been at 58 - average - for a month or so, and this whole week it’s been at 52), and your lifts have gone down, then that means you’ve entered the overtraining zone. You’ll need to deload (cut volume in half or less) for a week to ten days if this happens.

I use it check it every morning a few years ago when i was running. The lowest i ever got was 37. It always hovered around 42-45. I also did a V02 max test once, 85.5, if remember correctly, they told me that was very good.

Havent checked it in at least 4 years. Will check tomoro morning as im very interested to see what it will be.

I just measured it at 52bpm. Im usually between 50-60bpm.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
it’s a good idea to keep track of it. Mine is usally 55-60 when in shape

I’m not saying going from 80 to 55 is bad, or that even 50 is too low, but if it dips (i.e it’s been at 58 - average - for a month or so, and this whole week it’s been at 52), and your lifts have gone down, then that means you’ve entered the overtraining zone. You’ll need to deload (cut volume in half or less) for a week to ten days if this happens.[/quote]

Are you sure its not the other way around my friend. If your beats per min are a bit up on your average?

OVER 9000???

THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
OVER 9000???

THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!!![/quote]

WHAT 9000?

[quote]paul496 wrote: something
BulletproofTiger wrote: also wrote something
[/quote]

I think we’re both right (see below).

[quote]
[b]It appears that there are two forms of the syndrome. The sympathetic form is more common in sprint type sports and the parasympathetic form is more common in endurance sports. The results from various measurements taken during exercise physiologic testing differ between the two forms, but decreased overall performance and increased perceived fatigue are similar. In the parasympathetic form there may be a lower heart rate for a given workload. Athletes training with a heart rate monitor may notice that they cannot sustain the workout at their usual “set point.” Fatigue takes over and prematurely terminates the workout. Regulation of glucose can become altered and the athlete may experience symptoms of hypoglycemia during exercise.

I won’t comment on all of the differences between the two forms, but one example is resting heart rate. In the sympathetic form, the resting heart rate is elevated. In the parasympathetic form, however, the resting heart rate is decreased. If this sounds confusing, then you are not alone. There is very little agreement in the literature about abnormal laboratory findings. Additionally, it is possible to have the overtraining syndrome, but have completely normal physical findings and biochemical tests. At this point, there is no single test that will confirm the presence of overtraining. The overtraining syndrome should be considered in any athlete who manifests symptoms of prolonged fatigue and performance that has leveled off or decreased. It is important to exclude any underlying illness that may be responsible for the fatigue.[/b]
full text at http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html

Wall of text, I command you to disappear!

For further reading:
http://johnberardi.com/articles/training/what_you_dont_know_overtraining.htm
http://johnberardi.com/articles/training/what_you_dont_know_overtraining_2.htm

** http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/resources/educational-resources/exphys/00/overtraining.cfm

It used to be 70-76 or so.

But I swear taking fish oil regularly has lowered it. It’s around 64-68. And I’m not doing any more cardio than I used to

56 during last checkup at 1pm after lunch.
usually lower in the morning when I get up. closer to 50 +/-2.
always been pretty low, just lucky genetically, but put on bodyfat easy/slow metabolism to go with it :frowning:

[quote]Therizza wrote:
Wall of text, I command you to disappear![/quote]

Dat better?

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Therizza wrote:
Wall of text, I command you to disappear!

Dat better?[/quote]

TYVM, btw, what’s up with your tiger avatars face

[quote]Therizza wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
OVER 9000???

THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

WHAT 9000?[/quote]

Amazing.