What Is Your Opinion on Self-Help?

I found it interesting and helpful (have a love/hate relationship with Dr. L, but then she strikes me as having a mood disorder, which may explain it) (it’s been years since my schedule aligned with her show, if it’s even still on, maybe she’s more consistent now). AT ANY RATE your wife will kill you dead if you give her that book, which will almost certainly suggest to her that she should ignore any shortcomings of yours while treating you like a king. That’s not what I got out of it, but I searched it out (along with The Surrendered Wife) because I was curious, and so didn’t find it insulting.

I liked this pretty well. Others I’d endorse (though it is my belief that most of these could be covered in a pamphlet) are the Love Languages and Parenting Through Love and Logic.

Guiding the Gifted Child was interesting and informative from cover to cover, but is specifically geared to navigating the needs of very bright children.

The Dance of Anger had one or two really impressive sentences, which sounds snotty and I guess it is, but I do utilize those sentences in my work. Again, a pamphlet.

Or this. Except unless someone tells you what to look for, how will you know what to research? Love and Logic is all over the 'net, as are the Love Languages. But if you google “improving relationships” or “parenting” you’re going to get bullshit unending.

@EmilyQ

This is completely unrelated, but a daughter took a gap year (and is working as a grunt for her step mom in her medical office) due to not wanting to mess with online learning (and me being super disinclined to pay for an Ivy school when learning remote).

She is considering, however, some University of Phoenix (among other choice) classes for some basic requirements she wasn’t excited about taking, anyway.

Didn’t you go there? Or have some other dealings with online schooling? Or am I making this up completely?

I’m taking some online classes at the moment. In regards to University of Phoenix, for-profit mega-online schools like that are shady, and I personally know people in charge of hiring at various companies that pretty much discard resumes if “University of Phoenix” appears anywhere on it. There are people who will have good experiences there, but you can find a better online school - ESPECIALLY right now - than one that paid 190 million for being total frauds, less than a year ago.

But yes, don’t pay for an ivy league school, haha. And obviously no disrespect to @EmilyQ if she did go there - as I said, some people may have good experiences, but enough people have reported bad things about UoP that I’d stay well away.

I’ve read the love languages as well - owned the book but gave it to someone who was struggling. Excellent book.

No, I attended a large state university for graduate school, which was a 4 hour RT commute for me two days a week. My undergrad was split between small universities in New England and Texas.

I also want to qualify with @flappinit that I mean no disrespect to anyone who’s attended an online-only school, but I agree with him that, at least in my field, it is not as respected as brick and mortar universities, and I have also seen resumes discarded for that reason. I see online classes as being completely fine for the moment, but would still attend a standard university to take them. Some majors lend themselves to online learning, others don’t.

I would recommend community college or a lesser state school for basic courses taken online cheaply.

I probably recite the five languages once a month. I have the book somewhere and should look to see WTF they wrote about for all those pages when I can summarize it in like 3 minutes.

Still, props to them for writing a book that thousands, maybe millions, of us repeatedly summarize.

As the owner of two businesses, HELL, YES, I am ALWAYS reading books on the entrepreneurial mindset, success, improvement, etc., ALL. THE. TIME. Some of my biggest, boldest and most successful decisions in life and in business have come from the books I read and listen to (the car is a mobile university!) And, it just keeps the right messages coming into my life on a regular basis.

To the 50 year old picking up that book, GOOD FOR YOU, for trying to better yourself and take some control of your life. Better than not doing anything about it, if you’ve got a desire to change something.

Some books, speakers, etc., are better than others, some are super generic and some are very specific. Some might be gimmicky or not as helpful to you as they might be to someone else. But it is absolutely better than not doing anything.

Books on self improvement are a starting point, it takes action and desire and commitment on your own part to actually do the things that will improve your life.

GO HELP YOURSELF PEOPLE!

3 Likes

It is borderline criminal how many great community colleges are passed over in favor of shady online for-profit diploma mills. Great professors, and TONS of opportunities if one performs well there. SATs are just a predictor of college performance. Actual success in college performance is a way better indicator of college success to many universities.

1 Like

I like your positivity. And I feel ashamed for criticizing my previous co-worker.

The only thing I can add as I hope your positivity rubs off on me. lol. I really do notice that self-help material tend to thrive among lifters, those who want to improve their social lives, and business-minded people. Lots of really inspiring people are avid gym goers. And many of them are more motivational than actual motivational speakers. I’ve heard of a few.

Here’s a different perspective. Much of the research I hope to conduct will likely be disseminated to the public via “self help” type media, whether that’s books, talks, articles on popular news site advice pieces etc…
If there wasn’t a demand for self help, I guess I’ll just switch to theoretical micro then… :joy::sweat_smile:

The sheer notion of a demand for self help is breaking my brain.

2 Likes

@flappinit

Yeah, the issue is surety that the credits will transfer to the school in which she is currently enrolled – which is a bit of a snotty Cambridge institution.

To say this differently, her matriculating school has a pre-approved list of basics from pre-approved schools that transfer with no problems if you get a “B” or above.

U Phoenix was the first one she found and she figured out she could knock out a semester of crap she has no interest in.

Subsequently, we figured out there are in person classes at The Hebrew University in Jerusalem that should also transfer.

I understood what you were referring to.

1 Like

Sorry, I thought you meant “ppl want it” not “ppl are willing to pay for it”
Ie ppl want public parks, but generally aren’t willing to pay for them- it’s kind of expected in a sense

I am referring to the idea that when you demand someone else provide it, it is not self help.

2 Likes

You were thinking at least 10 steps ahead of me
I’m a bit slow sometimes

Yet if I write a self-help book, I am doing exactly that.

Perfect! I’d much rather that, personally. The kids I work with doing distance learning hate it. What’s her major?

It’s why it is breaking my brain, haha.

I try to always read your posts carefully as they often have a different meaning than what some others infer (incorrectly) from them.

1 Like

Physics and aeronautical engineering.

When in the IDF, she could calculate the drop and windage of her shots in her head, on the fly.

1 Like