What Is Your Definition Of Masculinity?

With them receiving payment from taxpayers, I can’t abide by this myself. Especially when it opens doorways to vigilantism.

And I realize the hilarious irony of me being “The Punisher” and expressing that…but he worked pro-bono, haha.

2 Likes

I have met three people like this so far in my college related life. The person who hired me for my first internship, the previous president of my student org, and the chair person of my major. But, what confuses me about Christianity is how god was in the Old Testament vs the New Testament. I am also disappointed with some Christians today as well because it seems like a cult. The best Christians are the ones who are down to earth and feel like actual humans.

YEAHHHH BUDDDYYYYY

I admire him for his catchphrases to be honest.

2 Likes

With Ronnie, there isn’t actually evidence that he was breaking the law though. It is plausible he got it all scripted from one or many doctors. Not likely, but I don’t think we know he was breaking the law.

It very much can be cult like in some cases. I would love to have a side conversation about this with you if you’re interested - just hit up my log (“Engineering New Muscle”)

1 Like

Haven’t the slightest idea if I should contribute to this topic. So I will…nod in agreeance with the general consensus

He also, at least in the recent comics, very much condemns people for admiring his approach. There’s an entire little sequence about him chastising some cops for supporting him, and suggests their role model should be Captain America, not him.

1 Like

So what are the qualities that define a good human in your eyes?

I really dig the direction things have gone in that regard. It’s been a great exploration of the depth of the character and the subject matter.

As a misanthrope, I’d say “living up to your potential” sums it up, as it’s what we, as a species, constantly fail at.

@mnben87 It’s why I wrote what I wrote the way I wrote it, haha.

3 Likes

I’m curious as to why you give yourself this title

The definition fits me.

1 Like

It’s the state of having characteristics typical of men or qualities generally considered masculine or more commonly seen in men. Not all these characteristics are good for all situations and this does not mean feminine characteristics are bad in men.

For example, being sensitive is generally regarded as a feminine trait, but being a sensitive guy is not considered bad and can be beneficial in many situations.

Examples of qualities or actions we generally consider masculine are:
Provision
Protection
Stoicism
Boldness
Decisiveness
Strength
Assertiveness

We do see these in women but they are masculine traits anyway.

I think if you are trying to figure out what kind of man you want to be, figure out what you want in life and then figure out what kind of a man can obtain those things. Obviously personality and temperament are partly malleable but you can definitely significantly change things about yourself. I know I have. So have many other guys.

3 Likes

BTW, if you like the subject I recommended the books No More Mr. Nice Guy by Dr. Robert Glover and A Gentleman’s Guide to Manners, Sex, and Ruling the World Dr. Stephen Baskerville.

The first one I read long ago. The second one I have ordered and I have two of that author’s others books.

1 Like

Thanks a lot BrickHead!

1 Like

I know, it was a statement made for comical effect.

1 Like

Gotcha. Can’t tell with you sometimes, haha.

1 Like

My opinion is yes, you and many other women should contribute your thoughts on this. It’s like, the other half of the equation!

My wife has some mixed and interesting ideas about it too. Sometimes I think I’m doing the right thing and she thinks (tells me) that I’m being a total asshole. Other times when I’m not too sure she’ll give me the nudge, maybe a little que that the situation warrants some boundary enforcement and whatnot.

5 Likes

You’re welcome.

I also suggest The Art of Manliness Podcast.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/podcast/

1 Like

I second this @planetcybertron - I’d actually really like to hear from some women on this. It’ll be a bit of an echo chamber if it’s just a sausage fest talking sausage.

It’s a tough question since most of the traits that I associate with masculinity are applicable to anyone, which someone referenced earlier. I embrace many of the traditional notions of masculinity, but I thought I’d share a couple of traits to which I aspire that may fly counter to prevailing logic. There are others but I’m not tryna write a novel:

• Grace: if masculinity implies strength, then strength should afford you the ability to be graceful; graceful in how you treat other people, graceful under duress, slow to vent your anger and frustration on other people.
  • Listening / brevity: I think manly men are good listeners and are sparing with words. Talking over people is the hallmark of the weak and brittle.
3 Likes

Well to me at least masculinity kinda doesn’t need any further explanation of itself in itself. If that makes sense.

I do recognize that many men identify with traditional masculine traits. I’d even say it’s mostly similar across the globe. I guess being of the opposite sex automatically makes me do a comparison.

Off the bat men carry themselves differently just by being men. The more nuanced stuff is usually what I focus on. Touch, how they walk, stance, voice, how they approach stuff even subtle differences in smells.

Social settings and family settings I tend to not care much mostly because stuff overlaps
Between healthy masculinity and just being a good person. Same with healthy femininity and just being a good person.

Stuff definitely will vary from man to man. Say one man spends a lot more time outside, does more hands on stuff, etc. the other may be more into tech stuff, is inside more often than not, and has hobbies that are more on the hands-off side of things. To me, they’re still men, and they’re still masculine.

I do advocate for men to workout/train. I feel it gives them a good sense of self, promotes healthy habits, and an appreciation for being a guy. But I feel the exact same way for women.

As far as the negative things such as aggression I don’t really attach a masculine or feminine role to that. To me, if you’re being aggressive and I don’t like it, or it’s not called for I’m gonna try to bring that to someone’s attention. If there’s no middle ground to be had after trying to reach one, to me that’s a personal problem, not so much a “man problem”. And it’s legit the same for women as far as my viewpoints on negatively associated “women problems”.

1 Like