What Is Your Definition of a Hero?

Enlight of a certin memeber on this forum that doesn’t think Christopher Reeve’s was hero. What’s most people’s definition of a HERO?

Mine is a Hero is someone that gives HOPE to the HOPELESS.

Whats yours?

A hero is someone who, without hesitation or intent for personal gain or benefit, successfully makes a significant selfless contribution toward improving, saving, protecting or defending one or more people’s lives.

I agree that Reeve was not a hero.

And I agree with the definition about saving lives.

[quote]t bone y2j wrote:
I agree that Reeve was not a hero.

And I agree with the definition about saving lives. [/quote]

Would you consider your parents to be your hero?

No.

Someone who goes out of there way to do something good for someone else that normal people would’nt do. I don’t Beileve someone who gives hope for the hopeless is a hero. Hope is a feeling, not an action. In order for someone to be a hero, they have to do something. Reeves was a hero, he gave money for research, did appeareances, and worked harder then most non disasbled people.

But do you think he would have done this if he had no physical problems at all?

Sure he raised money, Michael J. Fox raises money for Parkinson’s, but he HAS parkinson’s, if they find a cure… that helps him out. Now if somebody who doesn’t have any afflictions, and also has to worry about working to make enough money to eat and live, if that person spends his/her life fundraising and searching for cures, they are a hero. They get nothing out of it except the feeling of having done something good for somebody else.

JMO

-Dave

I would argue for the point that “normal” people are capable of being heroes and make for the best ones. You can keep your Supermen and Captain Marvels.

I think it may be a Men’s Health article (“Martial Laws” comes to mind) that said something along the lines of:

“Hero is endurance for one moment more”

This is not a particularily limiting definition of hero, and is one that is deceptively simple. And yet, I think it hits the nail on the head.

I think there’s even a line in Spider-Man 2 that says something to this effect. It didn’t have the exact wording, but the idea was there.

-N

a hero is someone you wanna be like.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
a hero is someone you wanna be like.[/quote]

I want to be like Michael Vick, but he isn’t a hero.

I see a hero as a person who puts themselves in to some type of risk, whether it is survival, financial, intellectual, to aid someone else of no close genetic, or personal affiliation.

The fact that Christopher Reeves raised awareness for disabled people is noble, but I wouldn’t call it heroic. He was in the same situation himself, so he was helping himself to a degree. We all know that he wouldn’t have been interested in helping disabled people to the same degree if he hadn’t been in that accident.

The same goes, if you pull a family member out of a burning building you’re not considered heroic, but if you risk your life to save a complete stranger that’s different.

I have always thought of a hero as a person that would risk or give their life for somebody.

Hero’s are buried all across the country in WWI and WWII War Memorials…

-Dave

One way I define a hero is someone who overcomes severe adversity whether it be physical, emotional, mental, etc. Going into a burning building to save people is not the only definition of a hero.

Christopher Reeve could have given up on his life after his devastating accident but he didn’t. He displayed an indefatigable attitude and energy in becoming a spokesperson for quadripeligic/spinal research. He didn’t have to do any of these things, but he did.

Some may say he was a good spokespeson, role model, etc. One definition of a hero in the Heritage dictionary states the following “A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose”. In my book, Christopher Reeve was definitely a hero.

[quote]dookie1481 wrote:
wufwugy wrote:

I want to be like Michael Vick, but he isn’t a hero.[/quote]

have we all forgotten what it is like to be a child. dookie, if you were a child right now you would call mike vick your hero. you would wanna be like him, you would look up to him in ways that only a child can.

before anyone discounts the intuition of a child, remember that children (like animals) intuitively understand that life is meant to be enjoyed. wisdom can only be found in fresh-mindedness, happiness, and frivolity.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
dookie1481 wrote:
wufwugy wrote:

I want to be like Michael Vick, but he isn’t a hero.

have we all forgotten what it is like to be a child. dookie, if you were a child right now you would call mike vick your hero. you would wanna be like him, you would look up to him in ways that only a child can.

before anyone discounts the intuition of a child, remember that children (like animals) intuitively understand that life is meant to be enjoyed. wisdom can only be found in fresh-mindedness, happiness, and frivolity.[/quote]

Good point.

Ugly guys with hot girlfriends

Jack Bauer on 24. Hero incarnate.

Heh. That “certain person” is me. Glad to see I kicked up some dirt. Sure Reeves was an inspiriation, but hell
so is Arnold and he is hardly a hero to me. To say he is special for not giving up hope is kind of demeaning to those that were born handicap. Saying that he was exceptional for being so optimistic in that situation says a lot about how we view handicap people. Great man? definitely. Hero? not in my book.

Squeak. Always have to stir up trouble, don’t ya!! :slight_smile:

Anyway, I would venture to say that a majority of folks (including me) would say that there are different kinds of heroes. Someone who selflessly runs into a burning building and rescues an infant would certainly be a hero, but of a different kind than say… Rosa Parks, who refused to move from her seat on the bus, and in her own way, sparked a necessary and overdue shift in our social climate. The extraordinary effort that Christopher Reeve put into his causes (selfless or not), and his dauntless courage in the face of having lost even the ability to breathe on his own, in my book, qualifies him as a hero.