What is Your Best GM?

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
I really wish I had a cambered bar or safety squat bar for some variation. I may try out some from pins sometime.[/quote]

Did chain suspended SSB GM’s and it sucked beyond belief. Not sure how well things will carry over but we’ll see.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Do you guys use a stance more similar to your deadlift or your squat?[/quote]

Depends on what I want to work on:

Wide stance with an arched back and an eccentric phase=work on squats

Close stance and do whatever the hell it takes to lock the weight out= work on deadlifts[/quote]
thanks

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Close stance and do whatever the hell it takes to lock the weight out= work on deadlifts[/quote]

This. I would also say that:

Wide stance with an arched back and an eccentric phase = work on glutes/hams

Close stance and do whatever the hell it takes to lock the weight out = work on low back

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
I really wish I had a cambered bar or safety squat bar for some variation. I may try out some from pins sometime.[/quote]

Did chain suspended SSB GM’s and it sucked beyond belief. Not sure how well things will carry over but we’ll see.[/quote]

2/3 of the last three lower back injuries where from this movement . I just don’t do gms anymore. I’m more in the new Jim Wendler camp.

But remember that I’m 48. After awhile you have to adapt and stay healthy if you want to make gains. If they or any other movement works well for you, have at it.

As for my bests, I’m not sure anymore . With all the variations out there it’s hard to recall.

[quote]Raging_Teddy wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

This. I would also say that:

Wide stance with an arched back and an eccentric phase = work on glutes/hams

Close stance and do whatever the hell it takes to lock the weight out = work on low back
[/quote]

Thats fine to think of it that way if you are preparing for a glute/ham and low back competition.

I just did my best set of good mornings last week.

275x5 to slightly BELOW parallel and that just about killed me.

Just started deadlifting again on Monday after a 3 month break and pulled 475x2 (10 second rest between reps) without too much difficulty. Previous best deadlift was 510 looking forward to hopefully blasting past that now.

Thanks for all of the posts so far. There are not too many great GM videos that I can find on youtube so I was interested to hear where you all were. Keep em coming

You guys that do the seated GM, is this how you do them? Or is the ROM shorter?

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:

Damn i dont know how the hell that guy didnt explosively shit himself.

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:

Damn i dont know how the hell that guy didnt explosively shit himself.[/quote]

That’s Chuck Vogelpohl. That video is nuts.

What weak points the seated GM brings up? Also would it be better to use it for ME or go for reps?

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:

That’s Chuck Vogelpohl. That video is nuts.[/quote]

Ah Chuck. I bet someone said that he would never be able to do it so he did multiple reps to prove them wrong. I never new the Rom was that huge though. My bowls losen doing 1/2 that lol. Chuck must have great control of colen.

but ive done seated GM which was the original question. Never that ROM ( probably doing them wrong as with most things i do lol) and as for carryover i have no idea. But its strengthening my back which is what i want it to do.

In the So you think you can squat series Matt shows how to do seated GM if you want another reference to use for ROM etc.

bump because GMs are cool

Did 475 today. Thrilling.

My best goodmorning was actually a major squat fuck up - I was going for my 10th set of 3 with 300# and my upper back gave out right as my hips started to rise. Luckily my posterior chain was able to ensure I wasn’t pinned.

My best raw DL is 445.

Haha if we can count fucked up squats then I GMed 665 about 2 years ago lol

Last year I did 455x5 moderate stance, go down till belly bumps thighs… ( not as low as it sounds, the way I sit back super far and the way I blow out my stomach during a lift makes it just a deep GM)

I haven’t maxed in awhile. It got to a point I wasn’t getting carryover from M.E. GMs anymore, so I just do them for assistance now. Usually 365 for a few sets of 10 after squats.

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:

That’s Chuck Vogelpohl. That video is nuts.[/quote]

Ah Chuck. I bet someone said that he would never be able to do it so he did multiple reps to prove them wrong. I never new the Rom was that huge though. My bowls losen doing 1/2 that lol. Chuck must have great control of colen.

but ive done seated GM which was the original question. Never that ROM ( probably doing them wrong as with most things i do lol) and as for carryover i have no idea. But its strengthening my back which is what i want it to do.

In the So you think you can squat series Matt shows how to do seated GM if you want another reference to use for ROM etc. [/quote]

Chuck is nuts, but this makes me want to try it like that.

[quote]

Chuck is nuts, but this makes me want to try it like that.[/quote]

Actually after seeing it i went and did them lol. Didnt go heavy or anything but god damn you can definitly feel it hit your lower back & upper back, hips everything. I think you really need someone there to push you/stop you at a certain point so you dont hyper extend at the hips (dunno if true or not, just theory). But insane exercise was definitly feeling it more than the other seated GM i was doing. So will continue and hopefully it gets me strong.

Chuck is definitely a crazy mofo. Im hoping he can get 1200+lbs squat at his next meet ( think he still competes ) and hoping he continues to lift well into his 60s like louie.

420 lb chain suspended cambered bar GM, starting position at 38", belt only, haven’t tested this in a while
600 DL, sumo stance with suit

GM PRs:
600x1, 545x3 Chain Suspended (belly button height)
500x1 Round back w/ Cambered bar
495x3 seated w/ cambered bar
600x3 archback
All done without a belt.