What is With the Hate for the IPF?

I tried to look it up, you can’t see the post unless you are his facebook friend. Any chance you can copy and paste it, or give a brief summary?

Basically that they (CPU) denied any resolution or planned changes to the original proposal based on the outcome of the meeting with the OPA executive. As I understand it, there were no minutes taken at the meeting.

With respect to planned changes, at this time I don’t see references to anything other than demanding this at the national level.

Sounds meet director specific to me.

As is this, and too the number/ ability of spotters etc etc.
How does the level of spotting at IPF worlds affect you and your experience at a meet?

Only affects you if you lift at a national/ international level - not at local meets.

You’re wrong. Been to a couple of IPF affiliated meets where this has not been the case. And if they do enforce at local meets that will be down to the meet director.

And on the flip side if you are concerned about the lack of strict judging with other fed just make sure you lift to a standard you are happy with. Noone other that yourself cares if you total 1500 in a IPF affiliated meet vs any other Fed, if the lifts are good they’re good regardless.

At all Ontario meets (CPU/IPF affiliate), both local and provincial, there is an equipment check. All equipment used must be IPF approved brands. If you are discovered using equipment during the meet that was turned down at equipment check as not an approved manufacturer, you can be disqualified from the contest. This has happened. It is an IPF rule.

I can’t speak to how other provinces govern their equipment checks.

Chris is correct that the equipment rule applies to all lifters at all levels of sanctioned meets.

Oh interesting, not the case for USAPL, equipment must meet certain specs but doesnt have to be an approved brand, unless its a national meet OR you are attempting an American record at a local meet.

But then if different provinces can govern equipment checks in this way I would guess its not an IPF requirement.

I’ve never seen formal equipment checks at regional IPF-affiliated meets in Germany, but the use of approved supportive gear will be enforced. For things such as singlets that have no effect on performance this is generally ignored at the regional level. I’ve used my old non-approved adidas singlet for four IPF-affiliated meets now, never had a problem. If you were to walk on the platform with non-approved knee sleeves for example, you wouldn’t be disqualified, the head judge would just send you off the platform and tell you to take them off.

I don’t know whether they can or cannot. I only know I’ve never competed at any other local provincial meets so can’t comment.

That would happen here if it made it through equipment check by accident. It happens. It’s also happened when a lifter was specifically told at equipment check they couldn’t use a piece of equipment and chose to use it anyway. That lifter was disqualified. We keep paper copies of what each lifter checks in.

I dont know about USAPL, but around here all gear (including singlets) has to be on the IPF approved list at all meets, including local. This coaching thing is a new proposal, your previous experience at whatever meet is irrelevant because this hasn’t even ben approved yet. You have no clue what you are talking about, you would do best to just stay out of the conversation.

Saskatchwan Powerlifting also does stringet equipment checks before weigh-ins.

I am new to the sport, only having done 2 meets and the only federation I can compete in is the Saskatchewan Powerlifting Association. It is an IPF affiliate and to my knowledge really the only fed that hosts meets in my province. From my experience the meets have been very well run and organized. I think this is due to there being good people running the meets and a fairly strong community in place. I can understand that others mileage may vary depending on where you live and who is running a meet.

To my understanding the new CPU Coaching Certification will eventually be required for a coach to be in the warmup room with their athletes at nationals, regionals (Westerns, Easterns etc) or at “Provincials”. This will not be required at the local level.

1 Like

Look up “independent powerlifting association”, they just had a meet in Regina on November 4th. It’s GPC-sanctioned.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that everyone in CPU or IPF is an asshole, there are plenty of good people. The problem is that there are several messed up people in positions of authority and they are steering the organization in a direction that I don’t want to go.

2 Likes