What is Waveloading?

I have incorporated the Lost Art of Over Head Pressing by Charles Poliquin in my training and am now on the second stage. http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_lost_art_of_overhead_pressing&cr=

For the second stage, he says “I suggest you do wave-like loading on this one: 5, 3, 2, 5, 3, 2 on a 31X0 tempo.”

What does that even mean?

[quote]bmitch wrote:
first set 5
second set 3
third set 2
fourth set 5
fifth set 3
sixth set 2
I think for temp you mean 3x0 not 31x0?
It means 3 seconds up, no rest at the top, bring it down fast, don’t rest at the bottom[/quote]

My understanding is that 31x0 means 3 seconds lowering, 1 second pause at the bottom, lift the weight as fast as possible, and no rest at the top.

[quote]kingdpt wrote:
bmitch wrote:
first set 5
second set 3
third set 2
fourth set 5
fifth set 3
sixth set 2
It means 3 seconds up, no rest at the top, bring it down fast, don’t rest at the bottom

My understanding is that 31x0 means 3 seconds lowering, 1 second pause at the bottom, lift the weight as fast as possible, and no rest at the top.[/quote]

That’s correct. Even if it is unusual to describe lifting tempo using 4 numbers, it is, in fact, the most precise form of doing it.

usualy its when people talk tempo its set up like 0-0-0 ex 3-0-1…

has anyone actually had any success with wave loading, i found it did me nothing

[quote]bmitch wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
kingdpt wrote:
bmitch wrote:
first set 5
second set 3
third set 2
fourth set 5
fifth set 3
sixth set 2
It means 3 seconds up, no rest at the top, bring it down fast, don’t rest at the bottom

My understanding is that 31x0 means 3 seconds lowering, 1 second pause at the bottom, lift the weight as fast as possible, and no rest at the top.

That’s correct. Even if it is unusual to describe lifting tempo using 4 numbers, it is, in fact, the most precise form of doing it.

Yeah but 31x0 has only 3 numbers… I thought temp usually had 4… what is the x?
[/quote]

x means explosive concentric

[quote]All2ez wrote:

has anyone actually had any success with wave loading, i found it did me nothing[/quote]

Well, in theory the low rep/high weight sets should force the body into a state of higher fiber activation rate, which should have a carryover to the medium rep/weight set allowing you to increase your workload slightly.

It didn’t have any noticeable effect for me though, but some people i know can lift more weight in the ~5 rep range after having performed a near-max single.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
All2ez wrote:

has anyone actually had any success with wave loading, i found it did me nothing

Well, in theory the low rep/high weight sets should force the body into a state of higher fiber activation rate, which should have a carryover to the medium rep/weight set allowing you to increase your workload slightly.

It didn’t have any noticeable effect for me though, but some people i know can lift more weight in the ~5 rep range after having performed a near-max single.[/quote]

So am I going to be increasing the weight on the 3 reps and then increase more on the 2 reps and then lower the weight again for the 5 reps and so on?

[quote]Fluid wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
All2ez wrote:

It didn’t have any noticeable effect for me though, but some people i know can lift more weight in the ~5 rep range after having performed a near-max single.

So am I going to be increasing the weight on the 3 reps and then increase more on the 2 reps and then lower the weight again for the 5 reps and so on?

[/quote]

Yes. Thats the whole point of alternating low/medium reps

Screw tempo… just lift the damn weight as fast as possible and lower it controlled in proper form and all that jazz.