What is Too Much Cardio?

Im doing 20min of stairmaster and 10 of another form af cardio after my weight trainin.g…Is that so much cardio? Im trying to trim up but I was getting no where. I lost approx. 40lbs and now im not going any where.

I know fat loss is all about diet but jesus I can lose anymore no matter how strict Im eating…So I up my cardio a little hoping to get over the stump im in, but don’t want to lose any of the hard earned muscle…

30 minutes of low intesity steady state is not too much, 30 minutes HIIT Every day will start to tap into your muscles. Even then if your eating enough and not going all out, it’s not too much.

[quote]ThisIsMyRifle wrote:
Im doing 20min of stairmaster and 10 of another form af cardio after my weight training…Is that so much cardio? Im trying to trim up but I was getting no where. I lost approx. 40lbs and now im not going any where.

I know fat loss is all about diet but jesus I can lose anymore no matter how strict Im eating…So I up my cardio a little hoping to get over the stump im in, but don’t want to lose any of the hard earned muscle…[/quote]

if you can, start running instead of using the stairmaster, and start doing some sort of lactate inducting work. HIIT or dan john’s front squat workout will work.

Time to get off the stairmaster and jump rope, do complexes etc.

Challenge yourself!

I don’t know how heavy he his, but rope jumping can be a sure way to injury.

Sorry Zap, you know I’d love to agree with you. :wink:

You say you lost 40 lbs. That’s impressive. How long have you been dieting? Perhaps it’s time to increase your calories for a while. Get the fire burning again. Then cut back after a month or so.

How long have you been stuck with only losing 40 lbs? Plateaus happen. I’ve lost a total of about 70 lbs in the past year and hit multiple plateaus where there was no weight loss (for up to about a month!). I truly mean that, by the way, NO weight loss.

I weigh in every morning and I will sit within the same 1.5lb range for a month, and naturally it’s discouraging but all I can recommend is that you stick to it. I’d also reccomend possibly adding calories for a while. After getting down to 200 from 260 I hit what seemed like the plateau from hell and after that time I took an extended break from training and let go a lot on my diet.

After this break (a long one, about 4 months) I had put on some weight. However when losing that weight (after getting smart with my diet again and training) i soared past 200 lbs which previously was a plateau. Obviously you wouldn’t want to do what I did , take an extended break from lifting (or any break at all) but I do firmly believe that drastic changes in diet and the way you train can help with plateaus such as this.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
<<< Perhaps it’s time to increase your calories for a while. Get the fire burning again. Then cut back after a month or so.[/quote]

Could be. Also doesn’t address if he’s gotten any meatier. More meat = more potential energy expenditure, even while sleeping. Dieting alone usually = eventual stall and a downward spiral/yo yo festival which eventually frustrates the subject into surrender or even ill health.

Berardi recommends 3 30 min HIIT sessions and at least 2 30 min low intensity cardio sessions a week. I’d then gradually add in more low intensity cardio (duration, then # of times a week)

Running between 20-30 miles a week or more is too much, at least for me. It’s something I must do but hate. It keeps me from gaining weight (of any kind), keeps me in great cardiovascular shape, and keeps me lean and wiry; like a Marine.

If I wanted to seriously add muscle, I think I would have to max out at 15 miles a week. Even that is a lot when run at a good pace.