What is this Retarded Exercise?

I’m wondering if this is a real exercise or did these guys at my gym just make it up. A while back I saw 2 guys training abs. Not much muscle mass (shocking). They looked kinda like wanna be skateboard/surfer dudes. But anyway, what they were doing was lying on the floor doing alternate side leg raises WHILE holding a barbell with 135 lbs in the lockout position. I was like wtf?. Then the other day I saw another guy doing the same exact thing but on a bench. Is this a real exercise? It looked kinda dopey to me.

I’ve actually seen someone doing this. It’s really outrageous, but I suppose it gives them a burn in the abs and that makes them think it’s a good idea.

I believe what you are supposed to do is hold your upper back off the ground with the barbell in the lockout position and raise the legs as well. If they are just laying on their backs and holding it then yah…weird.

isn’t that from the 300 workout or whatever?

Best fucking movie ever, but from what I understand, produced some pretty shit gym experiences for others.

They’re called “floor wipers,” and part of the oh-so-wonderful “300 workout.”

[quote]1morerep wrote:
I’m wondering if this is a real exercise or did these guys at my gym just make it up. A while back I saw 2 guys training abs. Not much muscle mass (shocking). They looked kinda like wanna be skateboard/surfer dudes. But anyway, what they were doing was lying on the floor doing alternate side leg raises WHILE holding a barbell with 135 lbs in the lockout position. I was like wtf?. Then the other day I saw another guy doing the same exact thing but on a bench. Is this a real exercise? It looked kinda dopey to me. [/quote]

Ive seen a guy do it as well. I guess holding the barbell while doing the leg raises causes you to have to use your abdominal mucles more to stay centered

nothing wrong with that exercise… but yeah they’re trying to be spartans.

[quote]Mahnager wrote:
but yeah they’re trying to be spartans.[/quote]

Best movie ever

I saw someone “floor” pressing in the squat rack, using an aerobic step as his bench, with his legs in the air, if that helps. Which it doesn’t, but I feel like he needs to be mocked on the interwebz if not in real life.

1morerep, is this similar to what you saw?

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

Floor Wipers from 300 Movie Workout - YouTube [/quote]

Take a look at this comment: “I think the 300 workout is shit anyway, compared to a decent crossfit session its a walk in the park.”

I think it’s supposed to be some “adapted” version of windshield wipers, which you do as a pull up held in the contracted position, legs straight and together and at 45 degrees up from the floor (where parallel to floor is 0 degrees) then “swipe” your legs from side to side.

The original windshield wipers are very tough but this floor press lockout horseshit is just supposed to look “hardcore.”

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Mahnager wrote:
but yeah they’re trying to be spartans.

Best movie ever[/quote]

lmao!

I’ve seen this before in my uni gym as well. I have to say not one of the guys doing it has had any appreciable muscle mass though. I’m sure it gives you a nice burn, but I saw one scrawny kid put 225 on while doing this and he nearly fell off the bench when he lost control. It just seems like you’re asking to catch the barbell in the face.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

Floor Wipers from 300 Movie Workout - YouTube [/quote]

Yep…that’s exactly what I saw. I really don’t see the benefit of it and I agree with fireflyz - it just seems way too risky. If you lose balance or get fatigued towards the end and lose control, there’s a list of injuries that occur. Especially the guy doing them on a bench. Had he lost his balance, he would have gone flying, the BB would have gone flying and anyone standing near by would be at risk as well.

The douchey wannabe MMA guys in my gym have been doing this shit too. Also just doing regular leg raises while holding the bar. Pretty stupid.

i know i’ll be mocked for this, and i accept that, but, properly done floor wipers are pretty damn effective. they actually do help build a good amount of core strength and coordination, and kill your obliques. try them at home so that people on the interweb don’t mock you and call you a scrawny little girl or something, you might be surprised. i’m not saying it’s something to do all the time, but worth the occasional effort when training abs.