T Nation

What is this Noise Coming from my Car?

UPDATE: Quick update before I return to lurking: Took it in to have it looked at, pad's were over 90% worn, replaced, and hasn't made a noise since. Thank you for your help!

sounds like it's coming from the area around the front driver's side tire. My friend was thinking U-Joint? It only started a few days ago. Only happens right after I start the car up and start driving. If I hit the brakes and come to a stop the noise goes away and does not come back when I start driving again. It only returns after I turn the car off, let it sit for a while, and then drive again. It turns/brakes/moves/etc. fine, but the noise is pissing me off. Any ideas what it is?

flux capacitor? maybe....

Check wheel well for stray cats.

thoroughly enjoyed that

That is a brake pad hanging up on you OR there are things called "Squealers" built into brake pad, their job is to rub against your Rotor when your brake pads are getting dangerously low. You should either replace the pads (recommended) or remove tire and bend the squealer back a little bit so it no longer touches the rotor (not recommended). Only other possibility is a wheel bearing is going bad but Im leaning on brake pads buddy. Not a U joint BTW.

I'd probably lean towards the brake pad hanging up, since I'm not actually hitting the brakes when it makes that sound

Fter listening again Id bet my next check that you need new brake pads. IF you cant do it yourself(then your gay....kidding) then take it to a shop, but be warned brake shops will RAPE you if you are unknowing about your car, they will tell you that you need new rotors, new pads, a brake flush, a new master cylinder yada yada yada, so beware of those rip-offs. You dont need that shit, just replace the pads. BUT if you run those pads for much longer you will start eating into your rotors until they do need replacment and then it can get spendy. TRUST ME, spend the money now for pads or pay a shit ton of cash later for new rotors and pads.

A squealer will make that sound even with the brakes not applied BTW

Yeah, probably brake pad.

I'll just change the pads; I've never actually had them make that sound without me applying the brakes before.

I'm thinking you may need to check the rotary bit,.. by the dirter... I'm retarded.

S

Sounds like a vuvuzela. Did you check the underside for annoying soccer fans?

It does sound like that......son of a bitch

Have worn down my brake pads before, but never had that noise.

They must be commplete toast.

Sounds like brake pad squeal to me.

Yes. It's designed that way as a last ditch effort to get folks to change their brake pads before any major damage is done to your car or another's.

x2. Needs new brake pads and the rotors re-surfaced if this has been going on for awhile.

Quick update before I return to lurking: Took it in to have it looked at, pad's were over 90% worn, replaced, and hasn't made a noise since. Thank you for your help!