T Nation

What is This Muscle?

Got a quick question

I just can’t find the name of this muscle. It sit between the bicep and the lateral head of the tricep.

I’ve included a picture of Mr. O which clearly show this muscle. I’ve search on exrx but can’t put my finger on it…

anyone?

Brachialis

brachialis in before the bell…gimme a cookie

i’ve got a slow connection…cookie still, i’ll split it.

Yes, brachialis…however…that bump is the lateral head of his triceps brachii.

got it, long head of the brachialis, which makes sense… the weirdest thing, it started growing like crazy a month ago, I was wondering what the hell was happening lol. A nice muscle add-on overall ; )

so who do I send the cookie too? lol

Brachialis has 1 head, Triceps brachii has 3 (lateral is shown in the picture) and biceps brachii has 2 heads (the lateral 1/2 being the long head).

Wikipedia it.

If you really want to get blown away with what muscles you can see with a lot of work then check out the forearm muscles…all 19 of them!

[quote]DiligentPT wrote:
Yes, brachialis…however…that bump is the lateral head of his triceps brachii.[/quote]

this

[quote]DiligentPT wrote:
Yes, brachialis…however…that bump is the lateral head of his triceps brachii.[/quote]

question from a newb: where then is his brachialis? it seems like his triceps lateral head and biceps are so huge that you can’t possible squeeze anything in between…

[quote]Relentless wrote:
got it, long head of the brachialis, which makes sense… the weirdest thing, it started growing like crazy a month ago, I was wondering what the hell was happening lol. A nice muscle add-on overall ; )

so who do I send the cookie too? lol[/quote]

No mate. The brachialis is a muscle with just 1 source and 1 insertion. As mentioned the muscle in the picture is the triceps - the short head (or lateral head).

Exercises with the wrist pronated more than supinated will allow a greater level of stress on the flexor. This is simply as the bicep brachii is not as strong when the wrist is not supinated and as such some more tension will be placed on the other elbow flexors (corocobrachialis, brachialis and brachioradialis IIRC).

So curls with a neutral grip (hammer grip) and with a reverse grip (pronated or over hand grip).

Try the “Atlas of Skeletal Muscles” - it is a thorough book for learning about muscular anatomy.

:wink:

That’s your flactoid.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
That’s your flactoid.[/quote]

I think you meant the Upper Dorsimus Uvulus but I could be wrong

Ubulus muscle

The brachialis lies under the biceps and is more medial, so I don’ think that’s the muscle your looking for. Its probably the brachioradialis which lies on the lateral side.
http://ligwww.epfl.ch/~maurel/Pictures/CHARM/WP3/brachioradialis.gif

Can I get cyrus’ cookie!? :slight_smile:

I swear to god it isn’t a tricep head… maybe the picture shows the wrong muscle, but there’s definitely a bump between the tricep head and bicep. it’s completely submerged when the arm is extended, but when flexed it pop outs and sits right between the bicep and tricep lat head.

I wish I hadn’t lost my camera in my move… this would be easier

I’ll try finding some other picture… gotta go

i answered the question correctly regarding how you phrased it " between bicep and the lateral head of the tricep." the brachialis is noticeable when very lean and when it has been very developed.

as mentioned neutral grip exercises will help this, e.g. hammer curls and pinwheels will add overall mass to the arm by enhancing the outer upper arm, not to be confused w/ the outer bicep head, narrow grip curls for outer head and opposite for inner. you’re always working the whole bicep regarding inner-outer it’s more a matter of emphasis/stress/load to a particular area based on kinesthetics.

sidebar- sergio was a freak.

type IIb- i keep the cookie, you are referencing the forearm.

OP: I decided to paint you a pretty picture, detailing with extreme precision the location of the humerus in his arm and a boney landmark that you can use to determine where the muscle actually lies.

The brachials originates of the distal anterior 1/2 of the humerus and inserts into the ulnar tuberosity.

I promise you that that muscle is the lateral head of the triceps brachii…

This discussion can now be closed.

(I know it is wikipedia, but I have verified the info)

:slight_smile: happy learning

Thanks a million Diligent and Cyrus; I bow to your knowledge and rejoice in having this new muscle myself :wink:

I was at my girl’s place and her sis and boyfriend are both personal trainers. I was looking into their anatomy books after dinner :slight_smile: … my god, I feel I’ll have to keep my big mouth shut about many a subject :wink:

thanks for the info

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
i answered the question correctly regarding how you phrased it " between bicep and the lateral head of the tricep." the brachialis is noticeable when very lean and when it has been very developed.

as mentioned neutral grip exercises will help this, e.g. hammer curls and pinwheels will add overall mass to the arm by enhancing the outer upper arm, not to be confused w/ the outer bicep head, narrow grip curls for outer head and opposite for inner. you’re always working the whole bicep regarding inner-outer it’s more a matter of emphasis/stress/load to a particular area based on kinesthetics.

sidebar- sergio was a freak.

type IIb- i keep the cookie, you are referencing the forearm.[/quote]

How about I be King Solomon, you be the two mothers, and the cookie is the baby. Except in this version, I take the baby for safe keeping. In my belly.