What Is The World Coming To

http://channels.netscape.com/autos/package.jsp?name=autos/fatbaby_carseats1&floc=au-main-05-l1

If a 3yo is to fat to fit in his car seat the parent should be charged with child neglect.

While i don’t disagree that this is a bad thing, some of their numbers are suspect.

1 out of 6 children ages 1-6 are too fat for car seats? First off, that’s a very high percentage. Secondly, how many 6 year olds do you see even sitting in car seats. Booster seats maybe, but you gotta be pretty fat not to fit into a booster seat. Those things are pretty flat.

They go on to say that this equals about 190,000 toddlers. Again, 6 yrs old is not a toddler. Hell 4 years old is not a Toddler. Plus, are they saying there are only 1,140,000 million people aged 1-6 in the world?

Then they say that 1 out of 6 (16.67%) equals about 5% of the three year olds in the country. WTF?

The fact of the matter is, when you child gets too heavy for a child seat they don’t need the child seat anymore. Most states do not have laws for children 6 and up except seat belt. For kids 2-6 it’s governed by both age and weight. I know where I live if the kid is 5 years old, but more than 40lbs, he only needs a seat belt.

What is the real issue here? Other than sensationalism to sell more car seats. There is also no correlation between a fat 3 year old and a 200 lb teenager. BS in my opinion. This editorial style review lacks a lot of merit and makes me wonder if this Eric Peters guy just hates fat people.

His last line says it all. 80 lb 5 years old need to be hoisted up into a car. How many 5 year olds can’t climb into a car? Maybe 1/10th of 1%? Plus… no law says an 80lb 5 year old even needs a car seat.