T Nation

What Is The Deal Relative Strength?

Anyway, I was just thinking about this…

given a T-man who can bench X lbs, how do you think the other major excercises will compare compare?

You can use absolute numbers, or ratios (say, % of bench or squate, etc), or however you fell like writing it down, doesn’t matter.

For example, what do you think is a healthy benching/rowing ratio? Or Sqaut/DL?

Think of it in terms of 1RM or sets, I don’t care about the number
all I’m wondering is what you think a fit, well-rounded, propertional T-man should strive for?

I know that this will vary greatly depending on body type, and many other factors, so its hard to give a generic answer, but I’m just asking you to think about it for a sec, and maybe give it a shot.

Thanks,

Yony

[quote]yonyb wrote:
Anyway, I was just thinking about this…

given a T-man who can bench X lbs, how do you think the other major excercises will compare compare?

You can use absolute numbers, or ratios (say, % of bench or squate, etc), or however you fell like writing it down, doesn’t matter.

For example, what do you think is a healthy benching/rowing ratio? Or Sqaut/DL?

Think of it in terms of 1RM or sets, I don’t care about the number
all I’m wondering is what you think a fit, well-rounded, propertional T-man should strive for?

I know that this will vary greatly depending on body type, and many other factors, so its hard to give a generic answer, but I’m just asking you to think about it for a sec, and maybe give it a shot.

Thanks,

Yony[/quote]

the thing is…there is no generic answer…everyone is different…some people have short stubby arms and a barrel chest well suited for bench pressing…some and long dangly arms and short legs well suited for deadlifting, etc…

my advice to the masses of weight trainers is to spend approximately equal time on all areas of your physique…

spend and much time doing rowing type movement and you spend on bench pressing type movements…spend as much time deadlifting and you do squatting, etc…

don’t neglect any area because you’re not good at it…

yonyb,
I am not sure if this is what you were had in mind with regards to relative strength. Relative strength is your 1 rep max relative to your bodyweight but not to another lift. Such as a 3x bodyweight squat or 2x body weight bench etc. Don’t worry about percentages of one lift to another. There are too many differences between people.