T Nation

What Is The Best IT Band Stretch?

I’ve been looking for a good IT Band stretch but I just can’t seem to find one that is good at all they all seem worthless and crap the ones that I have tried seem to stretch the upper leg or glutes and when I foam roll I do not feel tension there I feel the tension, tenderness and pain in the IT Band starting from the knee and halfway up the thigh and that is what I need to stretch.

Please give me something to stretch this out I can’t seem to find any useful IT Band stretch.

bump

[quote]watermelon29 wrote:
I’ve been looking for a good IT Band stretch but I just can’t seem to find one that is good at all they all seem worthless and crap the ones that I have tried seem to stretch the upper leg or glutes and when I foam roll I do not feel tension there I feel the tension, tenderness and pain in the IT Band starting from the knee and halfway up the thigh and that is what I need to stretch.

Please give me something to stretch this out I can’t seem to find any useful IT Band stretch.[/quote]

Foam roll it.

The IT band can’t actually lengthen with stretching–the “IT band stretch” is a misnomer, you feel the stretch in your TFL and your glutes because those are the muscles connected to it. I agree with niksamaras, foam roll your vastus lateralis. Also, figure out the reason why your IT band is pulling on its insertion below the knee so much–is it tight glutes and TFL or is it actually weak hip abductors?

Thanks for the reply’s guys I won’t bother stretching it that is just what I considered for the IT Band foam rolling and nothing else.

Smallmike it’s not below the knee it’s just STARTING from my knee and roughly halfway up the leg in the IT Band area.

If you want to try and figure out why it is so tight there you can have a try, I personally don’t know but I think foam rolling it will fix the problem (yes I am stretching and strengthening other muscles causing this problem)

This is an old thread I made to see what the problems and causes of my posture were: