What Is The Best GHR?

For several months I’ve been looking at Glute Ham benches, and I’m trying to find the best all around machine. I’ve narrowed my list down for about 12 (all very heavy duty…no junk) to 3 or 4. I’ve just about decided on a Sorinex because it has reverse hyper handles (since I don’t have space for a reverse hyper) and rear height adjustment to increase resistance without using boxes.
Does anyone have any suggestions on something that could match this and reasons why? Any help is greatly appreciated.

www.EliteFTS.com

They have the best GHR’s around.

I have one and it’s been working great so far.

Do your hamstrings justice and get a GHR at Elite.

What good are reverse hyper handles going to do you? You can’t do reverse hypers on a glute ham raise…go Elitefts, I can’t believe Sorinex would charge the same price.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
What good are reverse hyper handles going to do you? You can’t do reverse hypers on a glute ham raise…go Elitefts, I can’t believe Sorinex would charge the same price.[/quote]

Reverse hypers are done the same as on a reverse hyper machine. You lean over the pad and grab the handles. A lot of GHRs are designed to allow for reverse hypers (Power-lift, Samson, SportStrength, etc.), but not all have handles. Some of them actually do have handles (Sorinex, Samson, etc.). SportStrength will add handles if requested. One of the best features I’ve found is rear height adjustment to increase resistance, but Sorinex is the only GHR I’ve found that offers that.

1. Hanging off something and raising your legs isnt the same as a reverse hyper machine - and you dont need a ghr to do that anyway.

2. like the rear elevation? put a box, or some boards under it…

what does everyone think of this one?

http://www.midwestbarbell.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42

The best? EliteFTS.

They take the one from Williams Strength Products and change the angle of the pad so that it is by far the best one you can get. I wouldn’t buy any others.

Elite FTS. Simple. It’s what I have in my home gym.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

1. Hanging off something and raising your legs isnt the same as a reverse hyper machine - and you dont need a ghr to do that anyway.

2. like the rear elevation? put a box, or some boards under it…

what does everyone think of this one?

http://www.midwestbarbell.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42[/quote]

But I don’t have room for a reverse hyper, so I was looking for a GHR that allow me to do a similar (if not the same) movement as the reverse hyper movement. As far as the boxes, I liked the Sorinex because it eliminated the need for boxes and boards to increase resistance.

Thanks for all the advice though. It seems like 9 out of 10 people believe in Elite. One can’t argue with that.

I use the Midwest one and for the money it is a great piece. If cash no option go for Elite. The Midwest GHR is just a tad hard to adjust with screws, lock pins, that is my only complaint. If only you will be using it that will not be a problem though.

I’ve used the EliteFTS and it’s fantastic, just like everything they make. I’m still not understanding what you are saying about reverse hypers. Are you sure you aren’t talking about back raises? This is a reverse hyper:

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
This is a reverse hyper:
[/quote]

And a pretty poorly designed one at that, but it’d still be better than trying to strap on 300lbs hanging off a GHR machine.

I’ve used a couple of the models designed by the Westside guys and the SportStrength model, and I’d never go with anything but a SportStrength. The split pad that tilts towards the middle makes a WORLD of difference.

-Dan

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:

And a pretty poorly designed one at that, but it’d still be better than trying to strap on 300lbs hanging off a GHR machine.

I’ve used a couple of the models designed by the Westside guys and the SportStrength model, and I’d never go with anything but a SportStrength. The split pad that tilts towards the middle makes a WORLD of difference.

-Dan[/quote]

Yeah, I just used the first picture that came up on Google Images.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I’ve used the EliteFTS and it’s fantastic, just like everything they make. I’m still not understanding what you are saying about reverse hypers. Are you sure you aren’t talking about back raises? This is a reverse hyper:

[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about a bodyweight reverse hyper, no weight strapped on

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about a bodyweight reverse hyper, no weight strapped on[/quote]

OK, gotcha. Seems kind of worthless to me.

Dan,

I’ve looked at the SportStrength, and they’ll customize it for me. Can you tell me specifically why you like the split pads that tilt in? I was very interested in their model. It seems like the pad design would be better for back extensions, ab work and reverse hyper movements.

As for as the reverse hyper movement on a GHR, it is done with bands around the ankles to increase tension/resistance. It’s no reverse hyper, but I don’t have the space for both.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
The best? EliteFTS.

They take the one from Williams Strength Products and change the angle of the pad so that it is by far the best one you can get. I wouldn’t buy any others.[/quote]

Oh yeah. Sorinex is also made by Williams Strength so it is also built like a tank. Very heavy duty.

This machine combines both.

http://www.midwestbarbell.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=106

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
This machine combines both.

http://www.midwestbarbell.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=106[/quote]

This would be good, but it looks like the pivot point of the reverse hyper would be too far behind the hip joint when leaning into the pad. I think this would reduce the resistance at the bottom. It’s a tough decision because I won’t know what works for me until I buy one, but then I’ve already bought it. Too bad we can’t test drive.

The elite one is nice, but too expensive.

I love the EliteFTS GHR with the large pad and platform. You can do the movement from a narrow stance all the way out to a sumo or power squat stance. I have actually also hooked bands around the anchor on the bottom and done a reverse hyper movement. Feels pretty good, the angle of the pad is actually more comfortable on the pelvis than the real reverse hyper. Your legs don’t swing as far down/under which cuts down on the momentum and the amount of lumbar flexion as well.

Take care,

Ryan