What is the best functional Strength exercise known to man?

Barbell curls in the squat rack!!! Sorry guys,I had to!

tricep kickbacks, cable flyes with 10 lb., swiss ball leg raises, and don’t forget the all time favorite the booger flick. OK, I like deads the best but I’m too whimpy for power cleans because of a tendon problem that just won’t go away…yet.

The clean, hands down. It involves virtually every muscle in the body and you can use a good deal of weight. Poliquin uses this exercise if he doesn’t have much time to test athletes. But since you probably don’t want to be doing the same exercise year-round I would recommend cycling them every so often. Some other exercises that I would recommned are: overhead squat, snatch, deadlift with a shrug at the top, power cleans, Coach Davies 1.5 clean and squat combo, iron cross, push press (Chad Waterbury style).

I sometimes do a finisher at the end of my workouts that consists of an o-lifting hybrid that goes something like this:
snatch pull X 5
clean X 5
push press or jerk X 5
front squat X 5 ( after this reposition bar to behind the head and…
back squat X 5
There are many possibilities for these hybrids. Dr. Mel Siff has probably 100 or so different combinations of complexes in his Supertraining book.

I’d workout 2x a week, day 1 weighted chins and squats; day 2 weighted dips and clean & jerk. Fullbody/push-pull/functional. My 1/2 cent.

gotta agree with everyone on this one, there is no one best, but I suppose if you have to narrow it down I’d have to have deadlifts, farmers walks, and some type of overhead pressing on the short list.
One more exercise that you might want to consider is the zercher lift. To perform this movement load up a barbell on the floor a’la deadlifts. Try just one olympic 45 on each end of the bar for a start. Set youself up as if you were going to deadlift, but instead of gripping the bar with your hands bend WAY down and grab the bar in the crook of your elbows. Just getting under the bar in this manner is a feat in itself. Interlock your fingers and stand up. This is not as easy as it sounds, the movement is very long and you are beginning from a point of very poor leverage. I’ve seen guys who can deadlift 400lbs fail to clear the bar from the floor - in fact, you may need to start by performing the zercher lift with the bar set up in a power rack at knee level and lower the starting point over the course of a few workouts as your coordination and strength improve.

Bro- get a kettle bell and throw it in the back at work. When you can spare 30 seconds to a minute get a set of something in. The heavy Kettle bell can be extremely efficient for what you are doing. The strength gains from bell work are most definitely functional. There is really nothing you can’t do with them.

forearm dumbell curls,gave me the functional strenth if u know what i mean.:wink:

Deadlifts.