What is the Appropriate Template???

I have been utilizing 5/3/1 off and on for some time now with success. I am at a point where I am ready to stop doing challenges that only last for a few weeks or months. I want to engage in something that is long term. This is why I like 5/3/1 in the first place. I consider myself to be an intermediate level lifter depending on which standards you use to measure such things. I tried the BBB template and liked it but again it is only meant to be done for 3 months. I like the full body template but I’m not sure if that is the right direction. So long story short what template should I use for my goals? Thanks for any input.

You can run BBB as long as you want. The “BBB 3 month challenge” only lasts 3 months (duh) but you can do 5x10 @ 50% max forever if you wanted.

Since you asked “which template is appropriate for my goals” but didnt really say what your goals are, (size? strength? fat loss?) im just gonna say pick the one that gives you the biggest training boner. Honestly a cycle is only 6 weeks, why not try a few at random? Anything Jim wrote is good. I’m doing fullbody myself right now and quite enjoy it.

Thanks! That sounds good. To clarify, my goal(s) is long term strength gains coupled with the ability to use that strength in sport. In other words I don’t want to be the guy who can 800lbs but can’t tie his shoes without getting out of breath.

5’s PRO with FSL. By far, the thing you are looking for.

This is perfect for your goals.

Sweet! Thanks!

Could you explain why feel the 5s progression is better than the simplest strength template in my case.

We can effectively control volume. Every week.

Now we have complete control over the programming and can base it in on our needs. No more guesswork. Also, 5’s PRO and SST are two very different things in this case. One is main the other is supplemental.

I don’t know if how I do it is what Jim means in terms of controlling volume, but I do the 5 PRO and FSL, but I vary the FSL depending on how I’m doing that day - so it can be one set of AMRAP, 3x5 paused reps, or rest pause for more intensity. I do full body twice a week and I can go as hard at conditioning as I want or go run several miles, do some sprints on my bike, even not get enough rest because I work two jobs, etc. and not have it negatively impact my lifting (and vice versa).

So even if I’m doing it wrong, it still works great for me.

I apologize for not understanding, but, I’m slightly confused after that last post. Are you suggesting that I utilize the 5s progression on the main lifts or are you saying I should use them on my main assistance lifts keeping 5/3/1 for the main lifts like the book says? I was under the impression it was the latter but now I’m not sure.

Main work, that is in the book too.