What is T-Nation For You?

[quote]masonator wrote:
The only thing im starting to dislike is how EVERY thread seems to turn into an arguement…[/quote]

Or a flame war…

[quote]nephorm wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
and a self proclaimed newb.

Are you talking about Mega Newb? That kid is a beast.[/quote]

no im not, i dont know who that is.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i come to this site for reason A. what i see at this site is letter H, and to be honest the t-cell isnt nearly as hardcore as i thought it was going to be.

theres a guy who was amazed he got DOMS in his glutes, a handful of middle aged women who arent figure competitors and a self proclaimed newb. im already disapointed as fuck with that place. but w/e i guess ill just read what the handful of ACTUAL vets talk about and ignore the rest of them. …i dont know man, i thought that was a place just for vets like the Mt Olympus of T-Nation where the gods of bodybuilding would talk about their methods and whatnot but instead its already looking like the entry method is via popularity not achievement in the bodybuilding world.

Anyone else see the irony in a kid who joined in 2007 proclaiming that this site ain’t what it used to be. A kid, by the way, who posts are virtually all nonsense.

[/quote]

are you fucking retarded? dont answer that i already know you are. i wasnt aware you had to Dexter fucking Jackson to be pissed off that what is SUPPOSED to be the hardcore section of a site is already flooded with fucking newbs after just one day. maybe you dont want to actually learn something from that thread, maybe youre one of the clowns that forum was invented to escape from. but i actually want to learn from the vets and id like to have a sense of assurance that every person in there knows what he is talking about because they have actually put their blood sweat and tears onto the iron. im not saying i want to be in there, if i was all i would do is vote out the people who dont deserve to be there and then vote myself off.

i think in addition to the vote in there needs to be some kind of more … i dont know…like thorough process of being accepted. i think you should have made certain achievements, i think you should be a certain size and i think you should have a good enough head on your shoulders so that we know that YOU KNOW how you got to where you are. out of the original list i saw i think less than half those people should have even been inducted. its supposed to be elite so its quality > quanity. id rather hear thoughts beween 3 different true vets than between 15 so and sos 4 vets and 30 people they invited cause theyre “cool on the net”.

its sad that in 1 day that forum has already lost its integrity, i hope that you vets in there reading this really use your vote off powers to their fullest and fucking cleanse that place, and pleaaaaase make it harder to get in, it should be like the Harvard of bodybuilding not community college.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
dk44 wrote:
… and be a total dick in the forums.

Yeah. I don’t know what’s worse. An ignorant fool or a loose tool.[/quote]

Which one am I again?

[quote]bmitch wrote:
nephorm wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
and a self proclaimed newb.

Are you talking about Mega Newb? That kid is a beast.

Didn’t he get banned? I don’t think hes been on this site in months[/quote]

Yup, he was banned twice as Newb and Uber Noob. He’s Mega Newb now. His log is in the forums.

Personally, I think the site is incredible. I only started reading it maybe 6 months ago, and I have drastically change my life based on what I’ve seen. I’ve read all the back issues, and still think it’s great. I only recently started reading the forums though, and I have to agree, people get into a lot of arguments, a lot of the time. But that keeps it interesting.

Not to sound like a jackass, but the fact that the forum needs a T-cell says a lot about the mods and the serious guys here. In other forums, the dedicated ones know how to put the trolls in their place, and they get the job done. They also know how to turn trolls into respectable people.

Here, the trolls are just allowed to ramble and waste forum space. Nobody is making a stand against them, and the T-cell is the most prominent manifestation of this. Creating a T-cell is like going into exile, like giving up our motherland and independence to foreign invaders, and I think we should change this attitude.

I say let’s start a conquest to rid the forums of these trolls. Educate them. Make the mods more active. Hire more of the if we have to. Stop hiding from T-cells and bodybuilding bunkers. Make these forums the way we want them to be!

[quote]2274 wrote:
Not to sound like a jackass, but the fact that the forum needs a T-cell says a lot about the mods and the serious guys here. In other forums, the dedicated ones know how to put the trolls in their place, and they get the job done. They also know how to turn trolls into respectable people.

Here, the trolls are just allowed to ramble and waste forum space. Nobody is making a stand against them, and the T-cell is the most prominent manifestation of this. Creating a T-cell is like going into exile, like giving up our motherland and independence to foreign invaders, and I think we should change this attitude.

I say let’s start a conquest to rid the forums of these trolls. Educate them. Make the mods more active. Hire more of the if we have to. Stop hiding from T-cells and bodybuilding bunkers. Make these forums the way we want them to be![/quote]

Word.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
2274 wrote:

I say let’s start a conquest to rid the forums of these trolls. Educate them. Make the mods more active. Hire more of the if we have to. Stop hiding from T-cells and bodybuilding bunkers. Make these forums the way we want them to be!

Word.[/quote]

First of all, I see where you are coming from. I personally am against more strict moderating, though. Where exactly do you draw the line? This thread shows how hard it is to even find a basic consensus on the issue which accommodates all the different and often opposing interests involved…
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2113670

As for “educating” the trolls, we have guys on here with over ten or twenty thousand posts who show great patience in answering questions and trying to get the message across what this site actually is about for most of the long time forum members. Tribulus, Professor X, jsbrook, Phill (haven’t seen him post here lately), Bushy, Sentoguy and many others come to mind. A troll is per definition a person who is deliberately inflammatory in order to provoke a response from other users. An increased effort to educate these people won’t account for much of a change.

Lastly, in every community, be it on the internet or in “real life”, there will be annoying and stupid people. I log on here in my free time in order to learn something new or have fun. Like everywhere else it is my choice to decide which posts and threads I read and if I answer or ignore a certain post by a troll. Granted, sometimes this means sifting through a lot of e-drivel, but this isn’t much different than in other areas of life.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
First of all, I see where you are coming from. I personally am against more strict moderating, though. Where exactly do you draw the line? This thread shows how hard it is to even find a basic consensus on the issue which accommodates all the different and often opposing interests involved…
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2113670[/quote]

I think the link you posted is a good reason why mods should be more active (but not necessarily stricter). On dotaportal.com for example, the mods directly interact with the members, and the rules are set in stone. For example, you have to stay on topic all the time, or else you get warned or even banned. Regardless of whether people agree with them or not, they follow it for the greater good of DotA. I wish something like that was also happening here, but I just don’t see it.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2113670

As for “educating” the trolls, we have guys on here with over ten or twenty thousand posts who show great patience in answering questions and trying to get the message across what this site actually is about for most of the long time forum members. Tribulus, Professor X, jsbrook, Phill (haven’t seen him post here lately), Bushy, Sentoguy and many others come to mind. A troll is per definition a person who is deliberately inflammatory in order to provoke a response from other users. An increased effort to educate these people won’t account for much of a change.

Lastly, in every community, be it on the internet or in “real life”, there will be annoying and stupid people. I log on here in my free time in order to learn something new or have fun. Like everywhere else it is my choice to decide which posts and threads I read and if I answer or ignore a certain post by a troll. Granted, sometimes this means sifting through a lot of e-drivel, but this isn’t much different than in other areas of life. [/quote]

Moderating by definition is keeping things moderate. If things got too strict, that wouldn’t be moderation at all. I’m against strict moderating. My advocacy is for more active moderation.

OK, I guess “educating” isn’t the right term. “Converting” would be a more accurate word. And if they can’t be converted, kick them out.

There’s a reason why there are elders, police officers, etc. in real life. If they weren’t doing their jobs, we’d see a lot more stupid and annoying people running around our streets. Of course, not all of them can be caught. They can never be extinguished, but they can be minimized. The same is true for these forums.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
On dotaportal.com for example, the mods directly interact with the members, and the rules are set in stone. For example, you have to stay on topic all the time, or else you get warned or even banned. Regardless of whether people agree with them or not, they follow it for the greater good of DotA.[/quote]

Sounds to me like communism.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:

I think the link you posted is a good reason why mods should be more active (but not necessarily stricter). On dotaportal.com for example, the mods directly interact with the members, and the rules are set in stone. For example, you have to stay on topic all the time, or else you get warned or even banned. Regardless of whether people agree with them or not, they follow it for the greater good of DotA. I wish something like that was also happening here, but I just don’t see it.[/quote]

That definitely would help keep the discussions more focused. I personally prefer it the way it is here currently, though. I myself am guilty of going on a tangent sometimes and I enjoy the freedom to do so. Some of the threads that don’t follow their intended path provide good information, an interesting debate or at least some entertainment nevertheless or even just because of this fact. Apart from that, I’ve seen the mods step in quite a few times lately when the discussion veered off track too far.

A case of different opinions, I guess…

undeadlift wrote:

I think the link you posted is a good reason why mods should be more active (but not necessarily stricter). On dotaportal.com for example, the mods directly interact with the members, and the rules are set in stone. For example, you have to stay on topic all the time, or else you get warned or even banned. Regardless of whether people agree with them or not, they follow it for the greater good of DotA. I wish something like that was also happening here, but I just don’t see it.

That definitely would help keep the discussions more focused. I personally prefer it the way it is here currently, though. I myself am guilty of going on a tangent sometimes and I enjoy the freedom to do so. Some of the threads that don’t follow their intended path provide good information, an interesting debate or at least some entertainment nevertheless or even just because of this fact. Apart from that, I’ve seen the mods step in quite a few times lately when the discussion veered off track too far.

A case of different opinions, I guess…[/quote]

Point well taken.

undeadlift wrote:

A case of different opinions, I guess…[/quote]

Some of the best threads practically were tangents, like eliteballas epic shoe or the photoshop thread. Who would have thunk Prof X had a knack for poster one liners?

Granted, they had nothing to do with BB, but this site would be worse without them.

[quote]2274 wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
On dotaportal.com for example, the mods directly interact with the members, and the rules are set in stone. For example, you have to stay on topic all the time, or else you get warned or even banned. Regardless of whether people agree with them or not, they follow it for the greater good of DotA.

Sounds to me like communism.[/quote]

Well, not really. Members who are really dedicated to the ideals of dotaportal apply to become mods. The admin decides if they got what it takes. They are very encouraging and helpful to everyone, and the members love them. So even if the rules are strict, everybody is happy (except the trolls, of course).

[quote]2274 wrote:
There’s a reason why there are elders, police officers, etc. in real life. If they weren’t doing their jobs, we’d see a lot more stupid and annoying people running around our streets. Of course, not all of them can be caught. They can never be extinguished, but they can be minimized. The same is true for these forums.[/quote]

Agreed.

In real life, though, those authorities usually only step in because of impending danger or a major breach of the rules. There just aren’t enough of them to perceive let alone cope with every single minor instance. I guess it’s the same here, with a main focus on protecting the reputation of the company and it’s products, for obvious reasons.

As I stated in my last post, I consider the level of moderation here pretty much optimal. Just my personal opinion.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
a handful of middle aged women who arent figure competitors [/quote]

I’m sorry, but can you please clarify WTF is wrong with not being a figure competitor and what does middle age have to do with anything? There was a lot of women posting here into BB and PL, but most have left, due in part to attitudes like yours. Do we have to wear 5 inch heels and swimsuits to be serious about training?

I like how people who haven’t even been a member for a full year can get on here and whine like little babies.

For starters, you guys have no clue what it used to be like back in the day. Honestly, most of you would have been flamed or shamed into leaving here. It was hardcore as hell.

The T-Cell is a visit back to those days.

Secondly, the T-Cell is only 3 fucking days old, and you guys are bitching as if it should be perfect the second it hit the ground.

Grow the fuck up.

What is the main cause of the decline in T-Nation? Whiny assed, spoiled little kids who think they are owed just because they breathe.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I like how people who haven’t even been a member for a full year can get on here and whine like little babies. [/quote]

Word.

[quote]
For starters, you guys have no clue what it used to be like back in the day. Honestly, most of you would have been flamed or shamed into leaving here. It was hardcore as hell. [/quote]

The “join” date on each individual is sometimes not correct (in my case, there was an unfortunate mess-up with my login name; one day it was me…all of a sudden one day I couldn’t log in and lo and behold, someone from Canada was using my login name…had to change my logon name in 2004). I joined from the very beginning, when it was mostly just TC, Tim, and Poliquin. It was called just “testosterone”, not “T-Nation” and I think just that name itself deterred alot of newbs; especially the ones who were against steroid use (i.e. many equate just the name “testosterone” with steroid use). The name also attracted alot of hard core folks.

Not to be too critical here, but making the site more marketable to the general public by introducing PC names like “T-Nation” versus the good old “testosterone” while better from a business standpoint inevitably leads to more trolls and newbs (NOTE: I don’t think there is anything wrong with newbs…just those who don’t spend any time educating themselves using the “search” engine; who feel people with experience should educate them immediately and answer their question even though there are a hundred threads on their very subject; have no patience for hard work (training, diet) and want to immediately take the steroid route; etc.

[quote]
The T-Cell is a visit back to those days.

Secondly, the T-Cell is only 3 fucking days old, and you guys are bitching as if it should be perfect the second it hit the ground.

Grow the fuck up.

What is the main cause of the decline in T-Nation? Whiny assed, spoiled little kids who think they are owed just because they breathe. [/quote]

You have a great way of getting to the point with straight from the hip responses dude.