What is Strong for 185lbs?

[quote]BodyByGame20 wrote:
Kerley, can you do that? [/quote]

yes i am the lightest man to squat 1000lbs :slight_smile:

[quote]The1andOnly wrote:
I think a lot of people on this website are guilty of how should I put this having twisted views on reality. Especially when you have to take into account he’s a beginner and not been training for that long. I dont know if a lot of you are joking who commented but id say to be “strong” compared to the average not training person id say. 1xbw for bench, 1.75xbw deadlift, and 1.5bw for squat.

And I realised you’ll all have a rant about when you were 175 pounds you were benching like 200kg.[/quote]

I consider myself to be pretty weak and am above all those ratios at around 82kg, lifting seriously for around a year. Those are some pretty low aspirations for someone looking to be “strong”. To be strong compared to someone sedentary is not an achievment.

Edit: I sound kind of like a prat here, but seriously aim alot higher. If you think a bodyweight bench press is strong then you are unlikely to progress to a 1.5 or 2 times bodyweight bench press.

Well considering the “average” person doesn’t lift its strong. If you’ve been lifting for a year you should be above those, yes. Considering the “average” person cant lift half of that yes its strong. How we talking average world of your age group. Because 80% the population are pretty poor you’d be very strong for those lifts.

I don’t bench my body weight, I weigh 185lbs but I do sets with 205lbs and max at 260lbs which according to London Runner’s chart means I’m “Advanced”,or very close to it when it comes to bench press.

In your honest opinions, if someone was 185lbs. and 5’10 what would qualify that person as strong? When do they stop being a person of “average” strength?

Let’s just be basic here…

How many pull-ups would that have to do in a row?
How much would they have to bench?
Curl?

Thanks for the opinions. [/quote]

The question was what lifts it would take to consider someone at 185lbs strong. Any number thats achievable after 1 year or less, like those you posted is obviously not going to qualify you as strong. I am taking the second sentence to mean average strength of your average gym goer rather than your average couch slob, so the numbers you gave are maybe slightly above average (which is quite depressing).

For me to consider someone strong at 85kg (187lbs) they’d need to be benching at least 120, squatting 160 and pulling 200 (1rm) and I wouldn’t call that elite.

Keep it simple…when you can triple these lifts you are starting to get there:

Squat 2.0x bodyweight
Bench 1.5x bodyweight
Deadlift 2.0x bodyweight
O.H. Press 1.0x bodyweight
Bent Row 1.0x bodyweight
P. Clean 1.0x bodyweight

Numbers that aren’t related to bodyweight are of little value.
Most of the other lifts (while important no doubt) amount to little more than ‘bar’ tricks.

I don’t bench my body weight, I weigh 185lbs but I do sets with 205lbs and max at 260lbs which according to London Runner’s chart means I’m “Advanced”,or very close to it when it comes to bench press.
[/quote]

You bench above your bodyweight :slight_smile:

You’re not weak, but you can go a long way further

[quote]Keep it simple…when you can triple these lifts you are starting to get there:

Squat 2.0x bodyweight
Bench 1.5x bodyweight
Deadlift 2.0x bodyweight
Bent Row 1.0x bodyweight
P. Clean 1.0x bodyweight

Numbers that aren’t related to bodyweight are of little value.
Most of the other lifts (while important no doubt) amount to little more than ‘bar’ tricks.
[/quote]

^ this ^

though I’d say you can get your deadlift a good way above your squat (unless you’re built perfectly for squats)

So, I’m only 4 pounds off in my bench for you to consider me strong?

Thanks for your opinions Rob, I’m just seeing how high the measuring stick is around here…

So, I’m only 4 pounds off in my bench for you to consider me strong? [/quote]

Strong compared to the average gym population but by no means are you “a beast” yet.

I’m trying to get there. :slight_smile:

I was comparing my numbers to what is considered strong for the typical commercial gym. If you roll into a 24Hour Fitness there are only a handful of guys that can SQ: 405 BP: 315 DL: 405. If you go to your typical chain gym, guys lifting those numbers would be considered strong. Now if you are talking about going into Westside or a hardcore Golds/Worlds etc. then of course not. I took his question from the stand point of what “most” people consider strong…not the hardcore fringe.

[quote]Kerley wrote:
nik133 wrote:
BodyByGame20 wrote:
Kerley, can you do that?

Kerley does that shit while balancing on a Bosu Ball standing at the tip of a volcano, while getting shot at by the entire US army.

beats the hell out of cross fit.[/quote]

but what did crossfit do to you?

[quote]hulk963 wrote:
Kerley wrote:
nik133 wrote:
BodyByGame20 wrote:
Kerley, can you do that?

Kerley does that shit while balancing on a Bosu Ball standing at the tip of a volcano, while getting shot at by the entire US army.

beats the hell out of cross fit.

but what did crossfit do to you?[/quote]

i didnt intend for anyone to take my post seriously…or do you believe i squat 1000?

[quote]Kerley wrote:
1000lbs squat
850lbs dead
826lbs bench
[/quote]

those are all elite numbers, more the 90% of people can’t do that, only the top bodybuilders and power lifters can reach those numbers

[quote]kodiak82 wrote:
Kerley wrote:
1000lbs squat
850lbs dead
826lbs bench

those are all elite numbers, more the 90% of people can’t do that, only the top bodybuilders and power lifters can reach those numbers[/quote]

no shit

[quote]kodiak82 wrote:
Kerley wrote:
1000lbs squat
850lbs dead
826lbs bench

those are all elite numbers, more the 90% of people can’t do that, only the top bodybuilders and power lifters can reach those numbers[/quote]

posted this before i read your last post

[quote]Kerley wrote:
hulk963 wrote:
Kerley wrote:
nik133 wrote:
BodyByGame20 wrote:
Kerley, can you do that?

beats the hell out of cross fit.

but what did crossfit do to you?

i didnt intend for anyone to take my post seriously…or do you believe i squat 1000?
[/quote]

I can do a half squat with 1000 pound without even a belt.

Grant it only the down half…

[quote]The other Rob wrote:
BodyByGame20 wrote:
In your honest opinions, if someone was 185lbs. and 5’10 what would qualify that person as strong? When do they stop being a person of “average” strength?

Let’s just be basic here…

How many pull-ups would that have to do in a row?
How much would they have to bench?
Curl?

Thanks for the opinions.

The question was what lifts it would take to consider someone at 185lbs strong. Any number thats achievable after 1 year or less, like those you posted is obviously not going to qualify you as strong. I am taking the second sentence to mean average strength of your average gym goer rather than your average couch slob, so the numbers you gave are maybe slightly above average (which is quite depressing).

For me to consider someone strong at 85kg (187lbs) they’d need to be benching at least 120, squatting 160 and pulling 200 (1rm) and I wouldn’t call that elite.[/quote]

These numbers are actually very close to what I did at my last contest) (77 kg bodyweight, squat 150, bench 112.5 and deadlift 185). I think whether that is strong depends on the perspective of the person judging. At my commercial gym I get comments about how much I’m lifting, but at a powerlifting contest, I’m one of the weakest guys there.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Keep it simple…when you can triple these lifts you are starting to get there:

Squat 2.0x bodyweight
Bench 1.5x bodyweight
Deadlift 2.0x bodyweight
Bent Row 1.0x bodyweight
P. Clean 1.0x bodyweight[/quote]

second that, only clean would be 1.5x just like bench. i can clean my bw easy, and jerk it, but nowhere near a 1x strict press.

1x press, snatch
1.5x bench, clean
2x squat, dead