T Nation

What is Soy Lecithin?

just wondering what that is because the articles i read on here said that soy protien is bad. the shake i drink is EAS and is made up by a protien blend of (whey protein [whey protein concentrate, soy lecithin] whey protein isolate)

my sis-in-law bought Dymatize nutrition Elite protein and has soy also, it says: ion exchange whey protein isolates, cross flow ultra filtration whey protein concentrate, whey peptides and milk and soy

should i be concerned about the soy in the drinks after reading the articles on it. just not sure if this kinda soy is bad

thanks guys

BUMP

I’m curious as well. My protein shake lists ingredients as whey protein concentrate and lecithin (derived from soy).

ISI, I found that Biotest’s Grow! Whey contains Soy Lecithin as well. I’m sure if it was detrimental, they would have left it out of their products.

[quote]TITI MATIBAY wrote:
ISI, I found that Biotest’s Grow! Whey contains Soy Lecithin as well. I’m sure if it was detrimental, they would have left it out of their products.[/quote]

This is rather off topic, but I like your username. Assuming you’re pinoy.

Sounds like it probably helps the mixing when you get the powder wet. And i don’t think it’s bad for you, it actually sounds more beneficial than anything

It’s an emulsifier to keep ingredients from separating. For instance, fat and water.

In very small amounts, such as in Grow! Whey or Metabolic Drive bars, I’m guessing it’s probably not unhealthy. However, I don’t have any sources to back up my claim.

Soy lecithin is a fat. Nothing bad about it.

I had an aunt & uncle that took a tablespoon of lecithin every day with cereal. They were in great shape as long as I can remember them. And they absolutely swore that part of their good health was due to the lecithin.

[quote]philipj wrote:
I had an aunt & uncle that took a tablespoon of lecithin every day with cereal. They were in great shape as long as I can remember them. And they absolutely swore that part of their good health was due to the lecithin.[/quote]

the efff, nice using FAR-FETCHED anecdotal evidence…garbage.

It’s in trace amounts if I’m correct.

There are all kinds of trace chemicals that would kill you outright, if you consumed enough, that you ingest/absorb everyday.

Don’t sweat the small stuff.

The most popular and established health benefit of lecithin is its role in the breakdown of fats in the body. Lecithin is present in the body at the cellular level and though it is not considered as an essential nutrient, it has an indispensable role in regulating the flow of nutrients and waste materials in and out of the cell. For decades now, lecithin has been popular for treating patients with high cholesterol. It has been seen to prevent the build-up of fats and bad cholesterol in the walls of the heart, the arteries and the veins, thereby promoting food cardiovascular health.

Soy lecithin isn’t a source of phytoestrogens, so it doesn’t have the negative effects that soy protein has.

im pretty positive soy lecithin is good for your liver