What is Racism?

All over the message board there are many who seem to take stands against “racism” but yet I have not seen what I think to be an adequate definition of what racism is. Is racism hateful or divisive, etc?

Are expressions of cultural pride considered racist? If I wore a “white pride” T-shirt I would be lynched by the PC police but when a Puerto Rican does it on Calle Ocho in SW Miami it is considered latin appreciation. Perhaps it is this double standard that is racist.

I am a skeptic concerning the existence of separate classes of race. The characterizations of race are too ambiguous for measurement. I am a pigment-less male with varying European traits and about 128 th Cherokee why am I considered a Caucasian?

Good questions.

If you are white and express any sort of racial pride or solidarity, you are automatically on the same level as Adolph Hitler. If you are anything else, it’s OK. There are congressional racial caucuses and lobbies that are acceptable, but whites are expected to maintain a certain race-blindness.

This double standard is usually enforced by other whites and condemned in the most certain of terms by the same, though it appears nonwhites are offended much less by white racism than whites are.

There’s nothing wrong with expressing racial pride or solidarity. Its just those that demean it by expressing it as being superior.

I’ve never had a problem with any white people or any other group expressing racial pride. Flame me if you want…but I think majority white people don’t express “true” racial pride enough…

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
There’s nothing wrong with expressing racial pride or solidarity. Its just those that demean it by expressing it as being superior.

I’ve never had a problem with any white people or any other group expressing racial pride. Flame me if you want…but I think majority white people don’t express “true” racial pride enough…[/quote]

You remember what happened last time a bunch of white guys did that. Let’s not go through that again.

What the heck is racial pride? You’re proud to have happened to be born with a certain amount of pigment to your skin? A certain texture of hair? Or eye color? Things you didn’t have any control over in the first place? It’s not like something you achieved. It just happened. Like being born a certain blood type, or something.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I think majority white people don’t express “true” racial pride enough…[/quote]

Usually, whites do this with respect to specific nationality – St. Patty’s day for example used to be a day of celebrating Irish pride. Is Irish a race?

[quote]Sloth wrote:
What the heck is racial pride? You’re proud to have happened to be born with a certain amount of pigment to your skin? A certain texture of hair? Or eye color? Things you didn’t have any control over in the first place? It’s not like something you achieved. It just happened. Like being born a certain blood type, or something.[/quote]

I agree. One cannot choose who their parents are. Besides, I thought pride was supposed to be a sin of the highest order…?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

I’ve never had a problem with any white people or any other group expressing racial pride. Flame me if you want…but I think majority white people don’t express “true” racial pride enough…

You remember what happened last time a bunch of white guys did that. Let’s not go through that again.[/quote]

Yeah…I know. But you at least recognize were I’m coming from.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
I think majority white people don’t express “true” racial pride enough…

Usually, whites do this with respect to specific nationality – St. Patty’s day for example used to be a day of celebrating Irish pride. Is Irish a race?[/quote]

It seems some forgot about that one.

Oops.

See white people. By default all white people are racists. At least that is what I am told.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
What the heck is racial pride? You’re proud to have happened to be born with a certain amount of pigment to your skin? A certain texture of hair? Or eye color? Things you didn’t have any control over in the first place? It’s not like something you achieved. It just happened. Like being born a certain blood type, or something.[/quote]

Type A positive pride baby! The rest of yall can get fucked!

Big_Boss wrote:

Usually, whites do this with respect to specific nationality – St. Patty’s day for example used to be a day of celebrating Irish pride. Is Irish a race?[/quote]

But that’s not a racial celebration.

Big_Boss wrote:

It is more like a drinking contest.

Big_Boss wrote:

Then you also recognize why its celebrated.

The pride is not in the genetics, but the culture. When people talk about “white pride,” I think pride in Western culture is meant, or pride in the culture of a particular nation that’s composed of European peoples. Now, can you completely separate the culture from the peoples who originated it? I don’t know. Can you completely separate it from ancestry?

[quote]Sloth wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

Usually, whites do this with respect to specific nationality – St. Patty’s day for example used to be a day of celebrating Irish pride. Is Irish a race?

But that’s not a racial celebration.[/quote]

Yeah,i think racial pride is more of “cultural pride.”

On a cultural,ethnic level…white people really don’t express or celebrate those things. Most Italian people I know are damn proud to be Italian mainly because of their culture…correct me if I’m wrong.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Sloth wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

But that’s not a racial celebration.

Yeah,i think racial pride is more of “cultural pride.”

On a cultural,ethnic level…white people really don’t express or celebrate those things. Most Italian people I know are damn proud to be Italian mainly because of their culture…correct me if I’m wrong.
[/quote]

You aren’t wrong. Some seem to forget that black Americans had a “culture” that had its origin right here. History before that was mostly lost for us. That means it is no different than Irish or Italian pride.

I just don’t understand why that has to be explained so much.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

[/quote]
But race and nationality are two different concepts.

Borders have no regard for the genetic composition of its interior.

Big_Boss wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

But race and nationality are two different concepts.

Borders have no regard for the genetic composition of its interior.[/quote]

They are different…but what is the relationship between the two when talking about ethnic/racial/cultural pride?? Then take the answer to that and relate it to a specific group’s history in this country and how it affected them. That’s the real discussion.

I’m Irish by ancestory, but I have no Irish pride. Why should I? I don’t live in Ireland. I didn’t choose to be born from an Irish blood line. That’s just how the chips fell. I don’t listen to traditional Irish music and get misty-eyed about a motherland, that well, actually isn’t my mother-land.

But, I take some pride in the US. After all, I do live here and can participate in trying to change it. But, not because I just happened to be born here than, say, Afghanistan.