What is Lean Body Mass?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
And here.we.go.[/quote]

It really is amazing how many experts in the professional side of the field/sport, with advanced degrees, making a living studying this subject and interacting on other sites all over the internet are all apparently wrong. If only they knew to come over to this particular forum, and listen to this one particular poster to understand how they’ve all been following faulty science for years.

S[/quote]

No offense, Stuey, but there have been many times that pop science has been proven wrong. Many people were avoiding fats with carbs at all costs with the same ideas.

What exactly have I written here that you disagree with?

Please, be specific.

Are you saying we should ignore studies like this?

Hahaha the pics and gifs are awesome.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The reality is, you can NOT eliminate water weight. It is impossible.
[/quote]
I know. That’s why I said “attempt to eliminate water weight.”

“ATTEMPTING” to eliminate (aka reducing it based on what countless bodybuilders have done over the decades) IS possible.

Just to clarify.[/quote]

Hey, as long as you clearly state you are guessing off the top of your head, so be it.

Bottom line, there is no way to tell IN VIVO exactly how much body water could be eliminated to ONLY show lean muscle tissue amounts.

As long as you understand this and the newbs do as well, all is well.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
.[/quote]

Hahaha! Amazing.

[quote]gregron wrote:

The reality is, you can NOT eliminate water weight. It is impossible.
[/quote]
I know. That’s why I said “attempt to eliminate water weight.”

“ATTEMPTING” to eliminate (aka reducing it based on what countless bodybuilders have done over the decades) IS possible.

Just to clarify.[/quote]

Hey, as long as you clearly state you are guessing off the top of your head, so be it.

Bottom line, there is no way to tell IN VIVO exactly how much body water could be eliminated to ONLY show lean muscle tissue amounts.

As long as you understand this and the newbs do as well, all is well.[/quote]
No one is saying exactly down to the ounce. That are educated guesses (which happen in science and life all the time) based on known data from a vast pool of individuals.

Guessing off the top of my head? No. Making an educated guess based on what hundreds, if not thousands, of top natural professional bodybuilders were able to accomplish during the last 50-60 years? Yes.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
And here.we.go.[/quote]

It really is amazing how many experts in the professional side of the field/sport, with advanced degrees, making a living studying this subject and interacting on other sites all over the internet are all apparently wrong. If only they knew to come over to this particular forum, and listen to this one particular poster to understand how they’ve all been following faulty science for years.

S[/quote]

No offense, Stuey, but there have been many times that pop science has been proven wrong. Many people were avoiding fats with carbs at all costs with the same ideas.

Please, be specific.

Are you saying we should ignore studies like this?[/quote]

No one mentioned pop science, or ignoring studies.

Keep playing on my name though, it really adds to your aura of knowledge and expertise.

S

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
And here.we.go.[/quote]

S[/quote]

Please, be specific.

Are you saying we should ignore studies like this?[/quote]

No one mentioned pop science, or ignoring studies.

Keep playing on my name though, it really adds to your aura of knowledge and expertise.

S[/quote]

I asked you what you disagree with.

I am still waiting for you to answer that.

It would seem you only take issue with me personally…and not the content.

This is the definition of “insane”. I do like the term “pop science” though.

[quote]gregron wrote:

No one is saying exactly down to the ounce. That are educated guesses (which happen in science and life all the time) based on known data from a vast pool of individuals.[/quote]

…and I just showed you how the pool of individuals is invalid based on current science.

You can not make an educated guess based on faulty science.

You can not use a sample of only Caucasians in the 60’s who chose to bodybuild as a sample of human kind.

I just proved that to you.

possibly useful metrics for bodybuilding:
-scale weight
-performance in gym (weight, volume, rest periods, etc)
-pictures, mirror
-tape measure

definitely useless metrics for bodybuilding:
-the exact amount of lean jerky your body could provide to cannibals
-a skewed version of how good you look in ideal lighting (BD’s Avatar, 2013)
-post count, thread read count, stock images, and passive aggressive comments on a forum
-race

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
definitely useless metrics for bodybuilding:
-the exact amount of lean jerky your body could provide to cannibals[/quote]

I agree with this.

I am also wondering why you never stated this when others have brought this up before…

[quote]gregron wrote:

No one is saying exactly down to the ounce. That are educated guesses (which happen in science and life all the time) based on known data from a vast pool of individuals.[/quote]

…and I just showed you how the pool of individuals is invalid based on current science.

You can not make an educated guess based on faulty science.

You can not use a sample of only Caucasians in the 60’s who chose to bodybuild as a sample of human kind.

I just proved that to you.[/quote]
Stop making thinga up and turning everything into a race issue. Supposedly you are a well educated African American dentist with his own practice. You are doing a disservice to the rest of the African American population by turning everything into a race issue.

If you continue to lie about things that I never said I will report your posts.

[quote]gregron wrote:

Stop making thinga up and turning everything into a race issue. [/quote]

This isn’t about a “race issue” and nothing has been made up. It is how this study found big differences in body comp and lean body mass in different ethnic groups and how this means data based on only one ethnic group can NOT be right for all.

[quote]Supposedly you are a well educated African American dentist with his own practice. You are doing a disservice to the rest of the African American population by turning everything into a race issue.

If you continue to lie about things that I never said I will report your posts.[/quote]

Who lied about anything you said?

This study found a huge difference in skeletal density and skeletal muscle mass between ethnic groups.

That is real science.

Ignoring that doesn’t make you look intellectual. Trying to degrade me personally makes you look bad.

If you want to discuss then discuss what is actually written and do not try to put words in my mouth or lie about things that I never said.

Hehe

[quote]gregron wrote:
If you want to discuss then discuss what is actually written and do not try to put words in my mouth or lie about things that I never said.[/quote]

No one put words in your mouth. Most data is base don a pool of only Caucasians as far as lean body mass standards. This study and others are showing how this is faulty.

This has been repeated several times now.

Old data based on those old population studies are faulty given current science on more than one ethnic group.

I can not break this down and make it any simpler to understand than that.

[/quote]
You did. You said: “You can not use a sample of only Caucasians in the 60’s who chose to bodybuild as a sample of human kind.”

Which is something I never said. You’re saying I used a sample of only whites from the 60’s which is a lie.

You also lied when you said this:

[quote]
Trying to degrade me personally makes you look bad.[/quote]

I never tried to degrade you. I said “supposedly” because I have no way of confirming that you are who and what you say you are. That is not degrading you. So again, please don’t make things up that I never said AKA lying.

No one put words in your mouth.[/quote]
See above.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]
You did. You said: “You can not use a sample of only Caucasians in the 60’s who chose to bodybuild as a sample of human kind.”

Which is something I never said. You’re saying I used a sample of only whites from the 60’s which is a lie.[/quote]

Do you understand that this study stated that old data is based on Caucasian studies?

If you are using old data, you are using mostly Caucasian based studies alone.

No one lied about what you stated.

What does my job have to do with any of this? You brought it up for a reason…and it had nothing to do with this topic.

It would seem you only take issue with me personally…and not the content.[/quote]

When the content is the same “discussion” you always propose to have in practically every thread, How can anyone not assume it’s a personal issue? You’re certainly not asking any new questions or opinions of people, you just need everyone to acknowledge that you’ve surpassed what so many natural trainers (and every natural pro ever) have achieved. Really, I get it. While the racial aspect may have some relevance, there have been plenty of black athletes and Bodybuilders over the years to at least get some perspective of possible advantages.

I won’t argue with you though because I see how you twist what everyone says as well as how you handle getting talked ii to a corner.

I will hang around for the memes though, they’re usually pretty entertaining in “your” threads.

S

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

Which is something I never said. You’re saying I used a sample of only whites from the 60’s which is a lie.[/quote]

Do you understand that this study stated that old data is based on Caucasian studies?

If you are using old data, you are using mostly Caucasian based studies alone.

No one lied about what you stated.
[/quote]
I never referenced any studies or scientific data. I am observing what actual competitors (black,white,brown,yellow,pink,red,purple,mix…doesn’t matter) did. No study. Not only white guys. Just based on what actual bodybuilders were able to accomplish.

[quote]

What does my job have to do with any of this? You brought it up for a reason…and it had nothing to do with this topic.[/quote]
Saying that you are a well educated successful dentist with his own practice is now degrading you?

I don’t see that.