T Nation

What is Leadership?

Trump

I’ve posted in the past that I have spent a lot of my adult Life reading about leaders and leadership. The best definition that I’ve seen for both leaders and heroes (and many people mistake it as “a” quote from one person, but it has been quoted by many famous people over the years); the best definition that I’ve seen is:

"The ordinary person placed in extraordinary circumstances who rises above the task at hand".

In the middle of a Pandemic; when you would hope that the person occupying the Presidency would show extraordinary leadership; he calls on people to:

"LIBERATE"! (States run by Democratic Governors)!!!..just ONE DAY after publishing guidelines…THAT MANY WERE ALREADY FOLLOWING AND EXECUTING.

To me it was like FDR not delivering his “Day that will live in Infamy” speech after the attack on Pearl Harbor…but instead he gets up and shits on his supposed enemies and rivals in the U.S. Congress…while blaming them for the attack.

And protesters that in some states are pissing on the guidelines were thrilled to have an “advocate” in the White House! When the Narcissist in Chief was asked who they should listen to…you are the Governors?..

"Me…"

I get the argument about worrying about erosion of rights…and how the “cure is worse than the disease” (it is trending all over Conservative Media and the groups that align themselves with Anti-Vaxxers and such)…I get it…

At this point, I really don’t give a damn about what you thought about President Obama…nor am I going to respond to some bullshit question about who I think is an example of a leader. To me, that really means nothing at this point…But DON’T call this damn man a Leader. Trump never has been and never will be one…

And by all indications; and based and who he has to run against; will sit in the Office of the Presidency for 4 more years.

God help us…

2 Likes

He is who he is and that is not a leader. I was always told that tough times don’t change who you are, tough times reveals who you are. He is exactly who I though he was but only worse.

1 Like

That is VERY much the case with Trump.

I don’t. There is nothing worse than COVID-19. The world has never encountered such a formidable adversary. We must sacrifice everything we are told to sacrifice, in order to stand a chance against it! It’s killing people in nursing homes as though they were already sick. It’s deadliness is likely severely underestimated, since everyone is being told not to mention it if there is ANY other plausible(Stubbed your toe last year? List that!) cause of death.

Plus: Trump is talking like he wants to violate the 10th Amendment. The 10th Amendment! The most sacred of all the Amendments! Can you believe it? The United States has never undertaken a course of action that even approached violating this Amendment in the past! What is wrong with this guy? Someone(Coronavirus, are you out there?), please, get him out of Office!

1 Like

So…let me get this straight…

One day, Trump comes out with his Constitution Destroying “Make America Work Again” (or whatever he calls it) plan, that is in lock-step with all of those Democratic Governors that want us all to become mindless sheeple led to the COVID-19 slaughter…

THEN THE VERY NEXT DAY he becomes this Pseudo-Revolutionary, leading the troops into Battle at Lexington, Concord and Bunker Hill?

2a-102 Pulling Hair Out

Hannity must have had one helluva’ show the night before…

1 Like

It’s quite simple. If you read and study leadership the characteristics most frequently mentioned aren’t found with Trump. In fact it’s often the exact opposite of him.

But the flip flopping like crazy isn’t new with him. He does it at such an amazingly fast pace. I don’t think he’s in control of his thoughts and emotions really in any typical sense. He really needs professional help as the type of behaviors he exhibits are abnormal.

I’ve always felt that Americans shouldn’t need to look to a “leader.” We don’t need to be lead. Live as free men would. Be an individual and make your own path.

2 Likes

The Presidency is and always has been a leadership position. Why wouldn’t we want someone with leadership qualities? That doesn’t make sense.

Why can’t you live as an individual AND have a leader as head of the executive branch? Better yet why wouldn’t we want one?

How’s that working out?
Edit: To be fair, it actually was supposed to be a leadership position…of the militias, Army, and Navy when called into actual service of the United States.

Well we elected a reality tv star and someone completely unhinged. It’s not working out well. We should do better. But to not want someone who is a good leader in a leadership position makes no sense.

I can’t agree, on average. Have you been outside in the past couple of weeks? Seen all of the COVID zombies walking around with masks on(Edit: To be clear, I’m not talking about 95-year-olds here).

I go with a mask out for my job. I don’t view it as being a zombie. I view it as being responsible. I know you hate the idea of anyone doing anything for others, but that’s why I have it on. I’m around kids and their families and around my own. Why wouldn’t I do things to protect other people? I know it’s always a big joke to you which is why you go in every thread with the fake “Covid worst thing ever” mockery.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
I’m going to say the people wearing bandanas over their mouths aren’t exactly paying attention.

Perhaps. We know not everyone may know the most effective way to cover up. So we should spread information so people know more. Not mock people who are trying to be safe for their families and communities.

Information is rapidly changing on this. Not everyone is going to follow advice of medical professionals. I’d say willfully ignoring that advice doesn’t make you a zombie. An asshole maybe, but not a zombie.

Why are you using the WHO? Isn’t your favorite guy talking shit on them?

However, as more knowledge about the virus has come to light, it became apparent that asymptomatic people could be spreading the virus. Up to 25% of people with COVID-19 may not show symptoms, the CDC found. Moreover, a new small study found that COVID-19 may be most infectious when symptoms are mildest, meaning that people may be spreading the virus before realizing they have it.

That’s why I have recommended using head condoms. Edit: My research shows that COVID-19 is intimidated when its opponents look ridiculous. A head condom + lime green leisure suit guarantee safety.

1 Like

You look ridiculous in here on a daily basis so maybe you’re on to something!

2 Likes

Comments like that displease the Rona, Bro.

He’s very clear actually. What part of this is so hard for you to understand?

“I want the governors to be running things.”

Then: “For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President…,” Trump [tweeted] “Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect… It is the decision of the President, and for many good reasons.”