What is Intelligence?

[quote]Bungalow wrote:
To me, intelligence is the ability to convert a task into concept, then apply that concept to a new task.

Any dumbass can learn how to draw two ears and a face. A genius will take that and draw the Mona Lisa.[/quote]
There are no ears in the “Mona Lisa.”

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Intelligence should be a blend of different attributes.

To be able to think laterally, ‘outside the box’, unencumbered by social or educational conditioning.

To be able to take a practical example of something or an esoteric concept and be able to extract all that is useful to you and (more impressively IMO, due to lack of personal interest) to others, even if you have limited eperience/knowledge/training in that field. In other words, to be both a theorist and a pragmatist, I suppose. To be able to apply concepts.

To be adaptive and flexible in your approach, yet still attain the major and the minor goals/tasks.

To be able to critically review your own performance/skills and fairly and objectively assess your weaknesses, in order that you can overcome or bypass them.

To recognise when you truly have reached your personal limits, in a given scenario and be able to hand over to a superior/someone with greater skill/intelligence/learning/practical experience in that particular field.

BBB[/quote]

I love all your posts…no homo

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Well, I’ll take a stab at a definition, which quite likely is different than most:

Intelligence is that which enables a person, for reasons other than physical attributes, to perform tasks or activities that an animal cannot.

Greater intelligence in a given area relative to another person is exhibited by being able to in general perform the same tasks or activities in that area that the other person can and additionally perform many others that he cannot, again where physical attributes are not the involved factor, and assuming comparable exposure to education.[/quote]

I’m not really sure how animals relate to the discussion. I don’t see an animals ability to preform something having an effect on weather it is defined as an intelligent act.

I take it you don’t agree with the notion of kinesthetic intelligence either.

Intelligence is in the eye of the beholder. It is really too broad a topic to make really quantifiable distinctions at the general level.

Good at math, bad at music. Good at math in your head, bad at complex math using a calculator. Good with book smarts, bad with social smarts.

Or even if you are talking about good at math in your head, there are many nuances. Say one guy is faster at math in his head, while the second guy is more accurate. Who is “smarter”?

You must also note that many times individual abilities vary within a person. Some people can be bad at math in their head, but have an idiot savant type skill that is entirely dependent on it.

I don’t really find intelligence in a broad since to be an objective quality. It’s like comparing apples and oranges and bananas and granny smith apples and red delicious and strawberries and tomatoes and est. and trying to determine what flavor “fruit” is.

I for instance am really good at math/physics/engineering, but can’t spell or use proper grammar to save my life. Are I dum or is i smarts?

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:

[quote]Bungalow wrote:
To me, intelligence is the ability to convert a task into concept, then apply that concept to a new task.

Any dumbass can learn how to draw two ears and a face. A genius will take that and draw the Mona Lisa.[/quote]
There are no ears in the “Mona Lisa.”[/quote]

Use your imagination goddamn it!

I have an IQ of 156 and finished high school with a D in math.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

[/quote]

Well, the obvious answer is you need to be far more intelligent than that to do well in gr. 12 math without paying attention or reading etc.

That being said, how were you tested? I’m pretty sure some tests are not really that accurate [not calling you stupid, bud].

EDIT: On topic- intelligence is when you wear glasses. /thread

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[/quote]

Well, the obvious answer is you need to be far more intelligent than that to do well in gr. 12 math without paying attention or reading etc.

That being said, how were you tested? I’m pretty sure some tests are not really that accurate [not calling you stupid, bud].

EDIT: On topic- intelligence is when you wear glasses. /thread[/quote]

I was tested three times, once in Elementary, Junior High and Senior High. Most of it was “Out of the Box” questions and remembering number sequences in different orders and patterns. The Out of the Box questions were the ones that seemed to have really simple solutions which turned out to be red herrings.

The low grades were a result of complete lack of interest in the subject. That, and boring ass teachers.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[/quote]

EDIT: On topic- intelligence is when you wear glasses. /thread[/quote]

I was tested three times, once in Elementary, Junior High and Senior High. Most of it was “Out of the Box” questions and remembering number sequences in different orders and patterns. The Out of the Box questions were the ones that seemed to have really simple solutions which turned out to be red herrings.

The low grades were a result of complete lack of interest in the subject. That, and boring ass teachers.

[/quote]

I’ve only been tested once, in 8th grade. It required some lady timing my answers. Similar questions to yours based on what you described.

I only got a 144 overall, but my Verbal was WAY higher than the ‘non-verbal’ [I forget what it was called].

I like to view intelligence as being awake (sharp) and productive while liking it

Intelligence is not only the knowledge you have, but how you apply it to your surroundings or whatever situation your’e in.

[quote]NDucedStrength98 wrote:
Intelligence is not only the knowledge you have, but how you apply it to your surroundings or whatever situation your’e in.[/quote]

alright so hitting my girlfriend with a hammer, how would you rate that? good, bad?

Intelligence comes by way of exploration. It is cultivated by hard work, awakened by environment and sustained by determination. Genius is potential translated into action. It is realized achievement. Excellence isn’t “stumbled upon”, but discovered through self guidance of the mind.

Every individual of our era covets achievement. That’s why we are all here, to learn and better ourselves (and to swing our E-peens). Every person wants to lead the most successful and pleasure-filled existence possible. But very few learn how this can be accomplished. Those who don’t live up to our potential and fail to lead successful lives do so because they close their minds to the option of greater things.

I didn’t “wake up” until I was in my mid-20’s. My mind was lazy. Now, not so much. I believe that most humans have the potential to use their brains FAR more efficiently than they currently do. Most of us just… DON’T.

Intelligence is not only the knowledge you have, but how you apply it to your surroundings or whatever situation your’e in.[/quote]

alright so hitting my girlfriend with a hammer, how would you rate that? good, bad?[/quote]

Not bad if you mistook her for a nail.

Not good at all though if you were trying to turn a bolt.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

alright so hitting my girlfriend with a hammer, how would you rate that? good, bad?[/quote]

Not bad if you mistook her for a nail.

Not good at all though if you were trying to turn a bolt.
[/quote]

so i should hit her with a wrench?

[/quote]

Isn’t that more likely due to a lack of interest/motivation?

I was a terrible pupil at school, because I just couldn’t internalise the importance of working hard for my future life and I didn’t see what advanced algebra could do for me (still don’t, lol) anyway. Oh, and I was too busy de-constructing stuff to find out how it worked, lol.

Once I locked onto areas of personal interest (the human animal), I suddenly ‘became’ smart. Did I? Of course not. The smarts were always there, just unused.

BBB[/quote]

I did horrible in high school. I was on the Dean’s List and 'Who’s who in American Colleges and Universities" in college.

I had poor teachers growing up who skipped over important steps in math class. As such, I lost interest because the dots didn’t connect. I had a great calculus teacher in college…a class I made A’s in so I took Cal II just for the hell of it.

I would never judge some kid’s potential by how they do in high school and below alone. Some people just “wake up” later.

So theoretical physics is for dummys huh?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I don’t really find intelligence in a broad since to be an objective quality. It’s like comparing apples and oranges and bananas and granny smith apples and red delicious and strawberries and tomatoes and est. and trying to determine what flavor “fruit” is.
[/quote]

Good one.

I think people like to think of intelligence in a way that leads to the logical conclusion that they, themselves, are intelligent.

I try not to worry about shit like this and just be fucking awesome.

[/quote]

Isn’t that more likely due to a lack of interest/motivation?

I was a terrible pupil at school, because I just couldn’t internalise the importance of working hard for my future life and I didn’t see what advanced algebra could do for me (still don’t, lol) anyway. Oh, and I was too busy de-constructing stuff to find out how it worked, lol.

Once I locked onto areas of personal interest (the human animal), I suddenly ‘became’ smart. Did I? Of course not. The smarts were always there, just unused.

BBB[/quote]

Its also important to note that intelligence is generally considered the ability to adapt, not the actual result of adaptation. It is really more a potential than an achievement.

Kids from poor areas with poor schools and no motivation can still be both smart and ignorant.

I personally would define intelligence merely as an adaptability of the nervous system. That pretty well covers all areas. The only caveat I have with that is innate abilities don’t fall into the intelligence category.

IMO higher intelligence means higher cognitive abilities,better memory and better dissection and absorbing of a given material,usually mixed with great curiosity to know how things work.I have an IQ of 145,not really high but I have an insatiable curiosity and usually I excel in whatever subject I set the mind on.

Also my linguistic abilities are pretty good,for example when I was 8 years old I entered in an English course with guys who were 16.When I got 13 I took TOEFL with great results and I was the youngest to have ever taken it.But in my opinion my greatest ability is my capability to show what i know in a pompous way,making me the leader and making people value me,sometimes more then I’m worth.

I have a GPA of 3.85 in the most difficult high school in the Country and don’t study very much,and enjoy life.I also have high expectations for my self,I want to enter Harvard.Yeah ,yeah I know its difficult but I’m going to try…Also I’d say my real passion is biology and medical sciences,I got my first anatomical atlas at 3 years old and in few months I could draw human muscle and organs.Coming form a family of doctors that isn’t very strange.

Mom,Dad, Grandpa from moms side, uncle from moms side are all doctors…Also I have a theory , I’m posting my essay later, basically it says that the difference between a genius and a high IQ person is that the genius has a disability to socially connect with people and he/she dedicates all his/her time to the studies and IMO a true genius has a HUGE imagination and a great curiosity…