T Nation

What Is Happiness to You?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Happiness is a warm bed in a snug cabin in a place like the above, naked and pressed up against my guy, with a nice, full day behind us.

I’ve spent years dealing with depression. One of the things I had to figure out was that I was the one driving it. I was causing it to happen to myself. And once I recognized what was happening, I found I could stop it in it’s tracks. It took work, but I have improved immensely.

One of the things I learned was that happiness is a choice. Too often we put restrictions on our happiness. “I’ll be happy when…” or “If only this would happen, then I would be happy.”

I decided to choose to just be happy. Screw what happens to me, or around me. Doesn’t matter if the world has problems, or my neighbor does. Doesn’t matter of that person cut in front of me. Sure I can still get pissed, but I still maintain my happiness. Because it’s a choice. A decision I made for myself.

Although being happy doesn’t mean I’m satisfied. I keep that drive to improve myself. To get stronger, healthier, and wealthier. (Personal goals.) Neither am I satisfied with the way the world is. There’s a drive to make the world a better place, even if only on a small scale.

Too many people think happiness is the goal. I say it’s the journey.

Yep. Happiness is a choice.

You can spend your whole life chasing the elusive “happiness” or simply choose to find joy in the journey.

We were going to try to do Glacier last year - it’s still on our list - but couldn’t arrange his travel schedule with my work stuff. Someday. Luckily I have mountains in my backyard, too, though they’re not as grand as that. Still, my days are full and my bed warm and I’m pretty much plumb happy all the time.

I think it’s important to be content with one’s life. I do think it pays for some people to be ambitious, but I am not into the whole relatively new “divine discontent”/“never satisfied”/“positive dissatisfaction” crap.

I’m virtually allergic to trendy packaging but I use these concepts all the time. In the context of recovery from substance abuse they are great tools to keep you on your toes and continue to ameliorate character defects.

The most you can have is nothing. This is all any of us ever have, and this is all that is required for hapiness.

I’ve started getting into meditation again (first explored it back in college). I can understand people writing meditation off as bs, but if you are open enough to learn a little more about it, a great book is:

‘Zen Training’ - by Katsuki Sekida (1893-1987).

Samadhi is an intersting state that I would call a form of natural, obtainable happiness.

This is a great book that goes over the practice and also introduces enough science to make the reader a true believer. It’s like $14 on amazon.

I’m a freelancer, and when a new job comes in and I know it’s going to keep my mind off of money for a couple of months I feel a sense of peace and calm. I’m working on making sure I have that feeling all of the time around the clock.

So not being stressed about money is at the top of the list.

Also, wrapping your arms around a hot South American girl will work wonders for happiness.

I maintain that if all you want out of life is to be happy, you should forget about fulfillment and hierarchies of needs and just concentrate on taking MDMA as much as possible. There’s like a study of something.

Most of us want more out of life than that. Getting things done. Achievements. Relationships.

Personally I like to concentrate on the fulfilment etc then every now and then take MDMA with some good friends of mine.

Best of both worlds, I feel.

Seems like an emninetly sensible plan.

I’ve actually read infantile posts on Facebook and Instagram in which ridiculous women state that “all I want is a life of happiness” or “a life of laughter”. I wish them luck and I’m glad I don’t have this ridiculous view on life and the world.

My wife has requested I stay off Facebook so I won’t lose respect for some of her friends and their husbands.

Seriously, as of late, I am disgusted by Facebook, literally! I can’t stay on it for more than about five minutes, if that.