T Nation

What is Going on Here?

I’ve been on the Mass Made Simple program for the last 4 weeks and I’ve been making great progress until this week. I started out around 180 and on Monday I weighed in at 187 after maxing out on my bench. However, today was shitty and idk whats going on. I weighed myself before the workout and I weighed 182. I’ve been good about not missing meals but I ate like shit on Tuesday and skipped a couple meals. This weight drop has got me fucked up though. I’m not sure how one day of bad eating caused me to lose so much weight.

I also had a really shitty workout today. I couldn’t even squat 285 5 times on the high rep squat portion. Last week on Monday I did 315 with chains for 5 after benching and front squats and on Wednesday I did 205 for sets of 20 and 15. This week is my deload week and I got a shoulder tattoo last friday, so I didnt squat on Monday. I was also somewhat dehydrated during the workout and definitely had a bad attitude and was doubting myself because of the weigh in.

I’m really worried about my loss of strength and size in such a short amount of time. How is it even possible?

dehydration most likely. Don’t worry about it.

I wasnt even that dehydrated tho it was just like I was kind of thirsty before lifting.

[quote]dk6666 wrote:
I wasnt even that dehydrated tho it was just like I was kind of thirsty before lifting.[/quote]

If you are losing both size(body weight) and stregth, then you might be a bit over trained. Take off a few days. You shouldn’t be losing weight, if your eating the same and working out the same.

Try taking off a few days, see if that helps.

Well it happened during my deload week, after one day of shitty eating. I’m only training 2 to 3 times a week as specified by the mass made simple template.

This is why I hardly weigh myself anymore. Its just not worth it. You get enough feedback about whether diet and training is working from a. Strength b. the Mirror c. Comments of people you dont see regularly.

I could be down anything between 5-15kgs since I last weighed myself but I dont care because my strength has been maintained or gained in the process. Weighing yourself all the time is just a total head f**k!

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:
This is why I hardly weigh myself anymore. Its just not worth it. You get enough feedback about whether diet and training is working from a. Strength b. the Mirror c. Comments of people you dont see regularly.

I could be down anything between 5-15kgs since I last weighed myself but I dont care because my strength has been maintained or gained in the process. Weighing yourself all the time is just a total head f**k![/quote]

The main point of the program I’m running right now is bulk and strength so weighing myself is a measurement of how I’m doing. My strength being down drastically as well is what worries me the most, weight can fluctuate but I dont think I’ve ever actually lost strength like that before.

My weight fluctuates as much as 10 lbs a day based on how much I’ve eaten and drank. The scale is just one way to measure. Stop worrying about it and just get back on the horse. Eat more, drink more.

You said you missed a few meals. That’s probably it. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You should probably just weigh yourself like 1-2x a week. That will somewhat reduce those fluctuations. If your weight is stuck, as others have said, add more calories.

[quote]dk6666 wrote:
I’ve been on the Mass Made Simple program for the last 4 weeks and I’ve been making great progress until this week. I started out around 180 and on Monday I weighed in at 187[/quote]
Just to clarify, you were “around 180” 4 weeks ago, correct?

This is exactly why the best plan is to weigh-in once a week, naked as a jay bird, first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom/before eating or drinking. That’s going to give the most consistent reading. Bodyweight can absolutely fluctuate a few pounds over the course of a single day.

What did you eat today?

[quote]I couldn’t even squat 285 5 times on the high rep squat portion.

and on Wednesday I did 205 for sets of 20 and 15[/quote]
If you did 205x15-20 last week, why in the sweet name of Jessica Biel’s hamstrings would you be using 285 for 15-20 this week?

Why are you squatting with chains?

Ask any competitive powerlifter. These three things can fuck with your strength as much as anything. (And yep, “kind of thirsty” is dehydrated.)

Long story short (too late), it was a one-off session. Get back on track, make sure to stop missing meals, return to training as usual.

Make a mental note to weigh first thing tomorrow morning, using the guidelines I mentioned above.

On a related note, how are your clothes fitting this last month? How much has your strength increased on the basic lifts?

Weigh yourself at the same time each day, preferably in the morning when you wake up. Your weight will fluctuate during the day. I usually weigh a 2-3 pounds less in the morning after waking up and going to the bathroom. After I eat breakfast and drink some water though I’m 2-3 pounds heavier and my weight fluctuates around there for the rest of the day. It doesn’t make sense to weigh yourself at different times during the day and stress yourself out over it.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]dk6666 wrote:
I’ve been on the Mass Made Simple program for the last 4 weeks and I’ve been making great progress until this week. I started out around 180 and on Monday I weighed in at 187[/quote]
Just to clarify, you were “around 180” 4 weeks ago, correct?

This is exactly why the best plan is to weigh-in once a week, naked as a jay bird, first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom/before eating or drinking. That’s going to give the most consistent reading. Bodyweight can absolutely fluctuate a few pounds over the course of a single day.

What did you eat today?

[quote]I couldn’t even squat 285 5 times on the high rep squat portion.

and on Wednesday I did 205 for sets of 20 and 15[/quote]
If you did 205x15-20 last week, why in the sweet name of Jessica Biel’s hamstrings would you be using 285 for 15-20 this week?

Why are you squatting with chains?

Ask any competitive powerlifter. These three things can fuck with your strength as much as anything. (And yep, “kind of thirsty” is dehydrated.)

Long story short (too late), it was a one-off session. Get back on track, make sure to stop missing meals, return to training as usual.

Make a mental note to weigh first thing tomorrow morning, using the guidelines I mentioned above.

On a related note, how are your clothes fitting this last month? How much has your strength increased on the basic lifts?[/quote]

Yesterday I had eggs in the morning, a meal replacement bar, an evos double stack burger with a protein shake for lunch, a post workout shake, pasta for dinner and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich before bed.
Your correct, I weighed around 180 four months ago. My strength is actually hard to measure on the Mass Made Simple program because I didn’t focus on the the lifts I’ve been doing this month. My main measure for strength before was my squat and now I’m only doing it for reps. I really under calculated my max on all my lifts for the 5/3/1 though. I deadlifted 295 for 7 and still had reps in the tank on the 1 rep day and shoulder pressed 95 for 12+ (I lost count) so I’ve been making pretty good gains. I wasn’t trying to squat 285 for 20, I was just going for 5. Last monday I did 185x10 205x10 225x5 and 315x5. I already was feeling like shit and just did 185x10, 205x5 225x5 beforehand. Last thursday the first set of 20 with 205 felt comparatively easy (if you can call a 20 rep squat at any weight easy). I had also deadlifted 185 by 5 before and it felt kind of heavy. I’m just gonna put it behind me though since it was my deloading week.
My clothes are fitting about the same I think, I never really notice how they fit different though so thats not a great measurement. I have been getting a lot of comments about how I’m built or like asking if I work out from people I just met and people I don’t see a lot, but I don’t put too much stock in that. For whatever reason I’ve heard that since I started working out, even when I was like 160. I think your average american is so out of shape that if you have any sort of an athletic build you’ll get comments. I’m not really sure how to measure my progress, since I don’t have a scale at home. I feel bigger and I look bigger in the mirror, but thats really subjective. I think I’ll just weigh myself at the gym every day, since I work out around the same time.

Take pictures. That’s usually the best way to track progress if aesthetics is your main goal.

I’m an athlete so my main goals are strength, size, speed, and endurance. Aesthetics is like a distant 5th.