What Is Dynamic Effort?

I recently learned that athletes shouldnt train with belts except when maxing out or on dynamic effort days.

I do not know what Dynamic Effort lifts are.

What is Dynamic Effort?

Thanks.

Dynamic effort means using a submaximal weight but applying maximal force, accelerating the bar quickly.

Say if you’re a 300 pound bencher, you might put 135 on the bar and do sets of three as explosively as you can.

Accomodating resistance, such as bands or chains, is often used on dynamic effort movements.

As far as using a belt, I don’t know about that. I don’t own a belt, so I don’t use one for anything, but that’s just me.

So if someone squats 220 pounds, they would put on 100 pounds and do it explosively for like 5 reps?

Would that be a Dynamic Effort set?

Dynamic effort (as it has come to be used) is simply the Westside take on training for power.

Which athletes are you talking about? Many shouldn’t bother with the “Westside” (bench/squat with chains/bands) way.

-Dan

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
So if someone squats 220 pounds, they would put on 100 pounds and do it explosively for like 5 reps?

Would that be a Dynamic Effort set?[/quote]

That’s the general idea, yes. And, as Buffalo mentioned, the chains, bands and other gadgets aren’t always applicable, I just mentioned them to try to give a more thorough answer.

One thing about dynamic effort that people overlook is, why are you doing it? Are you slow? Then, yeah, dynamic effort stuff is great. Are you fast and weak? (like alot of basketball players I’ve seen") Then building up your maximal strength would probably help you out more. Figure out what your weakness is and attack that first.

Ok. Thanks for the help.