What is Considered Lifting Heavy?

[quote]reneeweimer wrote:
I’m sure I could squat heavier, if I didn’t feel like the bar was going to crush my vertebrae.

[quote]

I am glad someone feels this way. I just mentioned this to my husband the other day!

Its interesting to see what is thought of as heavy and what is not. I see guys do less then me. I base it more off that.

sorry for it all being gray I don’t know how to fix it!!

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
(for a girl)?

I think I lift pretty heavy, but I’m always the only female in the gym…(its a small weight room in the basement of a drillhall on base) I’m not even sure if anyone even notices me, although I guess I stick out walking into the place, having boobs and all, HA!!

Sometimes I think it would be cool for someone to let me know that what I’m doing is good, or if they talked to me about lifting,gave me pointers(no, not those kind of pointers :P), etc…
[/quote]

For me, lifting heavy means that I am lifting more than the guy next to me. LOL. That’s how I guage it. :smiley:

As for benching, lifting more than your bodyweight is considered “heavy.”

As for curling, lifting at least 1/3 of your body weight for a “normal” set is considerably heavy.

The list goes on, but lifting heavy is normally judged by society, especially the men at the gym. :smiley:

Hi, I’ve been working out for several years and started competitively powerlifting for about a year now.

Ok so I fall into the elite category - but as far as I’m concerned if you’re lifting with good form it means a hell of a lot more than a big brute of a guy next to you who’s swinging the weight to get it up.

Guys get hung up on the numbers - if you can bench your b/w you’re halfway there. I’m going for a 3x b/w deadlift at a world comp next month (I’m already close). My 353lbs deadlift may be piddly to a huge guy but I think any woman who can deadlift lift over 100kg/220lbs deserves kudos.
Do it for you first and foremost!

Has everyone seen this article? This is a woman lifting heavy, and this is what it takes to win the Worlds.