What is an Open Chained Movement?

What is the difference between “closed-chain” and “open-chained” movements? For example, bench presses are considered closed chain and push up are considered open chain- why is that?

Thanks.

Closed- Foot/hand cannot move. Squat/pushup

Open- Foot/hand allowed to move. Leg ext./barbell curl

Closed chain = the distal end of the body is restricted from movement Think of it as your body moving around an object. Open chain = distal end is unrestricted. Think of this as you moving an object around your stationary body.

Bench Press = open
Pushup = closed
Squat = closed
DB Shoulder Press = open
Pullups = closed
Leg Curls on machine = open

I dont get the difference. Why is one better than the other?

lol!

compound or isolation might make more sense to you…?

[quote]Joe Brook wrote:
lol!

compound or isolation might make more sense to you…?[/quote]

No, it wouldn’t.

Bench Press is both a compound exercise AND an Open Kinetic Chain Exercise. DB Flyes are also OKCE’s but are an isolation exercise.

Unless I’m reading it wrong, what you wrote doesn’t ring true.

[quote]husker29 wrote:
What is the difference between “closed-chain” and “open-chained” movements? For example, bench presses are considered closed chain and push up are considered open chain- why is that?

Thanks. [/quote]

BTW you have it backwards there. A pushup is closed chain because the hands are unable to move freely.

Bench press is open chain.

yeah but whats the difference, why is one better than the other, I dont get it.

It is not about “better”, it is about dividing exercises up logically by whether a part of your extremities is in a fixed position or not. A closed chain chin up is better than an open chain lat pull down, but a closed chain push up is not superior to open chained dumbbell bench press.

Whether open chained or closed chain movements are better for a particular movement for body part greatly depends on the situation.

Right, if one was better than the other with ANY certainty, you’d either have a pushup being superior to a bench press OR a dumbbell flye superior to a dip.

Just doesn’t work.

[quote]derek wrote:
husker29 wrote:

Thanks.

BTW you have it backwards there. A pushup is closed chain because the hands are unable to move freely.

Bench press is open chain.[/quote]

Closed chain is not purely about the hands moving, it is about where the weight travels… through the body, a closed muscle chain from gravitys base, the floor, to the weight - through a closed chain of muscle… or an open chain of muscle where the weight is pushing away from the body… leg ext…

As far as i was taught, pushups and bench are both closed chain exercises.

You are right about my compound and isolation post though, as i was wrong. A back row is a compound exercise but open chain i believe.

A chest press would be open chain, and bench closed…

I have just realised, my teacher on kinesiology actually told us that open and closed chain were the SAME as compound and isolation, and i never gave it much thought till now…

So someone who knows 100%, what do you think?

Joe

[quote]sumgai wrote:
Closed chain = the distal end of the body is restricted from movement Think of it as your body moving around an object. Open chain = distal end is unrestricted. Think of this as you moving an object around your stationary body.

Bench Press = open
Pushup = closed
Squat = closed
DB Shoulder Press = open
Pullups = closed
Leg Curls on machine = open[/quote]

By your definition, it isnt about the hands moving, it is about he body being fixed and a small pivot moving the weight (Open chain) and the small lever being fixed and the body moving (Closed chain)

see?

I honestly think it is defined more on the path of gravity and the body in relation to that, could be wrong, but just by definition of its name and an educated guess…

Joe

[quote]Joe Brook wrote:
sumgai wrote:

Bench Press = open
Pushup = closed
Squat = closed
DB Shoulder Press = open
Pullups = closed

By your definition, it isnt about the hands moving, it is about he body being fixed and a small pivot moving the weight (Open chain) and the small lever being fixed and the body moving (Closed chain)

see?

I honestly think it is defined more on the path of gravity and the body in relation to that, could be wrong, but just by definition of its name and an educated guess…

Joe

[/quote]

That’s exactly what I wrote. See?

A push press is an open chain movement yet you can hardly call it a small pivot when you have multiple joints involved. You’re confused here.

Gravity has less to do with it rather than whether you’re moving an object through space (open) or moving your body through space around an object (closed).

Here’s what I know.

Closed Chain = body moves (squat, dips, chins)
Open Chain = body doesn’t move (bench, pulldowns)

I think this should help as well.

[quote]sumgai wrote:
Joe Brook wrote:
sumgai wrote:

Bench Press = open
Pushup = closed
Squat = closed
DB Shoulder Press = open
Pullups = closed

see?

Joe

That’s exactly what I wrote. See?

A push press is an open chain movement yet you can hardly call it a small pivot when you have multiple joints involved. You’re confused here.i can call it a small pivot… lol

Gravity has less to do with it rather than whether you’re moving an object through space (open) or moving your body through space around an object (closed).This is what i am on about!

[/quote]

I wouldnt call it a open I would call it closed, thats my point. As the weight is passing through the chain of musculature of the body, not away from it. I never called the push press a small pivot anyway… i never used the example, but if i were, i would call it closed.
I was trying to clarify someone elses definition, by pointing out they were talking about freedom of hand, when i was showing them their definition actually boiled down to movement of body - IN THEIR DEFINITION OF WHICH I DONT AGREE!

Do you know what i mean? i am getting confused myself though now! lol!

Joe

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Here’s what I know.

Closed Chain = body moves (squat, dips, chins)
Open Chain = body doesn’t move (bench, pulldowns)[/quote]

THATS what i suggested!

Thanks for the wiki… it did help.

Closed are ALWAYS compound, but the reverse is not true, that is where i was mis-lead.

Thanks for teaching me that.

Joe

Would a leg press be considered open chain?

Your torso is motionless while your legs push away.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Would a leg press be considered open chain?

Your torso is motionless while your legs push away.[/quote]

Closed.