T Nation

What is a leader?

Lets hear the opinions on this forum of what leadership comprises.

From wiki Leadership is the “process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task.”

A leader is someone who can inspire other individuals to trust his judgment and adopt his model of behavior.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
A leader is someone who can inspire other individuals to trust his judgment and adopt his model of behavior.[/quote]

It depends on the context not necessarily to adopt the leaders model of behaviour as many historical leaders have lacked integrity or been tyrants but rather do what the leader wants which is to have the ability to influence.

So then these historical figures were not real leaders were they?

Leadership is more than just influence. It is about setting the example and then leading by example.

If a “leader” does not have integrity to even behave the way he wants his followers to behave then he is no leader.

I thought this was going to be a discussion about the qualities of Leadership – i.e., regardless of the events of history.

Leadership is the ability, not to influence, but to inspire people to come together for the common good of all people. A true leader will sacrifice their own ambitions and bring the good of the people that follow him/her to the fore front.

LIFTI, I like your definition by the way.

Leader: One who leads. I think you guys are talking more about the qualities you would like in a leader. Being a leader means people will follow you unconditionally. Whether or not you are a good leader is dependent on the results.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Being a leader means people will follow you unconditionally.[/quote]

This is false.

The only people who lead other people unconditionally are despots and tyrants.

Leaders of intellectual and spiritual movements typically cannot lead by hegemony.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Being a leader means people will follow you unconditionally.[/quote]

This is false.

The only people who lead other people unconditionally are despots and tyrants.

Leaders of intellectual and spiritual movements typically cannot lead by hegemony.[/quote]

HEY HEY HEY Now, we need leaders too.

Leaders are opposite of followers. Leadership is the antithesis of followership. ROTC 101.

http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/leader/leadcon.html

You want a true leader, check out people that lead a large number of volunteers. Volunteers can leave at any time they want.

A leader whom people will follow unconditionally is a master at talking bullshit, lacks empathy and is strongly motivated to further his own cause by any means, i.e. a sociopath, sort of. His own cause can be some kind of ideology. While there are also other types of leaders, this has been the most successful one.

So then these historical figures were not real leaders were they?

Leadership is more than just influence. It is about setting the example and then leading by example.

If a “leader” does not have integrity to even behave the way he wants his followers to behave then he is no leader.

I thought this was going to be a discussion about the qualities of Leadership – i.e., regardless of the events of history.[/quote]

It could be, it should be a discussion about leaship ideals and qualities but part of the reason I wanted to hear peoples opinion on this is that I perceive the kind of qualities that I believe make real leaders are not obvious today in society, I mean take mose people of influence in your society are they inspirational leader types or slimy politician types? In the UK the expense scandal tainted most of the political class for example these bent crooks lead my country.