What is a Good Beginners Routine for Girls

Hello t-ladies,

I have almost finally convinced my gf that she is better off lifting weights, than spending hours doing steady state cardio.

I need a girl-friendly beginners program that I can subtly introduce my gf to.

She is a former serious swimmer, and knows her way around at the gym. Although on the rare occasion she does go to the gym with me she spends most of the time doing these strange swimming core/rehab exercise with free weights. Like most people, she thinks if she does what I do then she will became too bulky. Im slowly(and gently) showing her the light.

Please help your favourite bird.

tweet

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book.

Hey Bird! Glad to hear your girl is venturing into the weights. With any luck, life will never be the same!

Google Jamie Eason Livefit Trainer for a good beginner program. It will give her an excellent place to start getting comfortable with weights.

Also, Girls Gone Strong is a good resource for all things training related.

Both Nia Shanks and Molly Galbraith maintain good training related blogs for women, in addition to writing for Girls Gone Strong.

Rachel Cosgrove is also a big name in women’s lifting, and a lot of people follow her.

Then there’s the book, Coyote mentioned above, which I’ve never read but I recall Maschy got into lifting from reading it, and a lot of women say it changed their minds about weights. Lift New Rules for Lifting: Lift Like a Man Look Like a Goddess.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

Then there’s the book, Coyote mentioned above, which I’ve never read but I recall Maschy got into lifting from reading it, and a lot of women say it changed their minds about weights. Lift New Rules for Lifting: Lift Like a Man Look Like a Goddess.

[/quote]

Thanks Powderpuff!

I think the book may be exactly what I need. i also have to convince her get over her phobia of muscles on girls. She thinks that the girls that appear on stage, look like they do on stage all the time. Any suggestions/photos I can show her off girls that lift but dont have “bulging” muscles?

tweet

^ Well, here’s just one example. This is a link to Courtney Prather’s blog. Have her watch the video there of her dancing with the stars challenge. You can see that in real life, when she isn’t all H2o manipulated and dried out for a photo shoot, she looks very feminine and much softer.
http://courtneyprather.wordpress.com/

Education is the answer!! Great books were recommended and great names to follow. Julia Ledewski is another that woman that is crazy strong, is a mother of 2 and is a director at the Parisi school. There are no need for special programs for women. I have trained Westside and/or Wendler’s 5/3/1 program for 10 years now and am far from bulky. Building mass like that takes hardcore diet and supplementation that just isn’t my cup of tea. Best of luck to you both!