What is a Christian?

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]mse2us wrote:

[quote]Severiano wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:
I will guess and say you are a JW. you’re always welcome here. I respect that JWs know what they believe and live it without apology,nor compromise. They also take the gospel message seriously and try to help people find god. I don’t criticize someone who is trully doing their best to live for god and spreading the gospel message.confusion[/quote]

So here is where I get confused… You brought up all the wolves, pagan like beliefs brought about by the Greek… But then you tell a J.W. that you understand their positions. But, J.W.'s do this thing where they say they only go by what the bible states, yet they go by the King James Bible, which isn’t original at all. I would be more understanding of J.W.'s positions if they went by ancient gospels that aren’t necessarily used by the Bible, as well as gospels from the bible to have a true understanding of the faith, and it’s history like they claim to have… They seem to be somewhat gnostic in their practice, not voting or taking part in war… Even against the Nazi’s.

What I don’t understand is, what is the real rigid original Christian Doctrine anyways? It’s my understanding/ hunch as is a lot of much smarter people than myself that the Bible, and the Abrahemic God is just an accumulation of all of the omni properties from other Gods, and there are bits and pieces of other Gods stories that make up the story of Christs properties.

You find things like virgin birth, making water into wine, rising from the dead all things that have been done before Christ that were facets of other Gods abilities, and even extremely similar storylines…

So, again… Where, and what are the actual original works of Christianity? We know there are some old Hebrew works. :slight_smile:

I think the most important thing to avoid, while being Christian is picking and choosing what to follow, and arguing ways from the bible when it’s beneficial, and ignoring aspects of the bible again, when it’s beneficial. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who claim to be Christian that are like this.[/quote]
Interesting points. You’re right, the King James Bible isn’t original. Not only that, the King James Bible is one of the worst Bible translations available today. The main reasons is because the translation isn’t accurate and the way we talk today is different from the way people talked back then. Meaning that it’s not in modern English so some words in the King James are no longer used and some words used in it have different meanings today. For example, according to the book Truth in Translation(an excellent book for getting a better understanding of the different translations), the word “prevent” meant “come” not “hinder.” “Let” meant “prevent” now it means “allow.” “Suffer” meant “allow,” now it’s used for experiencing pain. There’s literally dozens of words like this in the King James Bible. Fortunately, we stopped using the King James Bible way back in the 1950s. We use the New World Translation and according to the book Truth in Translation(written by James David DeBuhn an associate professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University and is not a Jehovah’s Witness), the New World Translation is the most accurate of all the major translations of the Bible. Not only is the New World Translation a very accurate translation but it’s been revised so that it won’t have the problem I described with the King James translation. It was revised in 1984 and most recently in 2013.

We do use other ancient manuscripts to help our understanding. For example, the writings of first century Jewish historian Josephus is often referred to especially with regard to the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple. That’s because at Luke 19:41-44; 21:20, 21, Jesus told his disciples exactly what would happen when Rome came to destroy Jerusalem. In 33 C.E. Jesus told them that a literal wooden fence would be built around the city so that no one could escape and that the temple would be so thoroughly destroyed that not a stone would be left upon a stone. Two days later he told his disciples that when they saw Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies they should know that the city’s destruction was near. When his disciples saw this they were to immediately begin to prepare to flee the city. If they did not leave, they would be caught in the city when the fence was built and would be unable to escape and be killed with the Jews. Josephus reported on what happened and it happened exactly as Jesus prophesied. After the Jewish revolt in 66 C.E., general Cestius Gallus attacked the city and surrounded it. For some unknown reason he withdrew from the city. According to Josephus and other reports, the faithful Christians (who were already expecting the end of the Jewish system of things based on the signs Jesus told them to look for at Luke 21) who were in the city remembered what Jesus said 33 years early and immediately fled to a neutral city in the mountains name Pella. Four years later, in 70 C.E., general Titus had his soldiers build a 4.5 mile fence in just three days that surrounded the city. After 5 months, Rome completely destroyed the city and the temple. Over a million people which included unfaithful Christians who didn’t heed Jesus’ warning and the Jews who had no clue about the prophecy Jesus told his disciples, were killed and tens of thousands were taken into slavery. Josephus recorded this and his writings can be found in the book entitled Jewish War and Roman historian Eusebius Pamphilus wrote a book entitled Ecclesiastical History which mentions the Christians actions once the Roman army withdrew in 66 C.E. We use these writings and other to help us get a better understanding of the time period of the Bible and to strengthen our faith in Bible prophecies such as the one I just explained. However, none of these secular writing are inspired by God like the Bible is. We believe that of all of the ancient writings, the Bible stands alone as being the only holy book and when any secular book contradicts the Bible, we believe the Bible.

Regarding the Nazis…JWs were the first and initially the only religious group to openly oppose Hitler and the Nazis(there were individuals within Catholic and Protestant religions that opposed Hitler but they were the minority. The majority of Catholic and Protestant religions not only accepted them but embraced them). Because of that they were among the first to be put into concentration camps. Over 10,000 were put into camps and hundreds died.

Regarding the works of Christianity…the Hebrew scriptures are just as important as the Christian-Greek scriptures but there is very little regarding Christianity in the Hebrew scriptures. The Hebrew scriptures shows how the seed or offspring mentioned at Genesis 3:15, that would undo the effects of the rebellion in the Garden of Eden, would be produced from Abraham’s offspring. And how this seed, Jesus, would rule as king over a kingdom that will remove the current kingdoms or governments and rule forever(Daniel 2:44; 7:13, 14; Isaiah 9:6,7; chapter 11). The original first century Christians are the original Christians. The only way to find the original works of Christianity is to read the Christian-Greek scriptures. Jesus told his disciples to seek first the kingdom and once the Christian congregation was formed that’s what they did. They understood that it was through God’s kingdom that God’s original purpose which is perfect humans who would live forever in paradise on earth would be fulfilled. We model ourselves after the first century Christians and put our hope in God’s kingdom to remove the current wickedness we see today.
[/quote]

NWT is really not a good translation. Secret committee, no independent verification outside the Watch Tower. Most Christian denominations do not recognize it as a valid translation.
I know you are a JW and that’s what you guys use, but it is considered an errant translation by most Christian denominations, both Protestant and Catholic.
I mean no offense at your faith or your beliefs. I just want to make it known that the majority of Christian scholars do not recognize the NWT and do not consider it an accurate translation.
I am not saying this to you per se, but for those who aren’t familiar with the Christian faith that the NWT is used only by and for JW’s and no others.[/quote]
99 percent of our beliefs can be found in any translation of the Bible. I actually prefer to show people in their own translation of the Bible so people can’t say that we come to our conclusions because our Bible is different.

Regarding the accuracy of our translation. . . . take a look at the book Truth in Translation as to why the New World Translation is the most accurate of the major translations. The author is a third party professor who is not a JW.

It’s no surprise that other Christian denominations don’t agree with it. Since our beliefs are different than all other Christian denominations and we try to show people why beliefs such as Hellfire and immortality of the soul is not Biblical the first things people will say is because our Bible is different. It’s actually 99 percent the same as the other major translations.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:
If Christianity is true,we should certainly see good examples of it around us. For example, the 2nd commandment and also Jesus words. “love thy neighbor as thyself”. How many people do we even see TRYING to do this,let alone accomplish it? I am curious to know what peoples idea of a Christian is…Thanks. Confusion [/quote]

Where are you looking?[/quote]

Fair question. Should I have to look? Not being difficult here…[/quote]

Not the news media, that’s for sure. You can look for news of people helping each other. For instance:

http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/Teresa/WhoWasTeresa.aspx

http://www.missionariesofthepoor.org/our-history.php

I mean, there are a lot of people doing a lot of good stuff. Dare I say living the Christian message. And the message doesn’t begin or end with these massive campaigns, Christian Charity begins in the home and your community. Simply a kind word can change a person’s day. A small act of kindness can yield massive results. In as much as there is visibly tremendous evil in the world, there is also tremendous kindness and charity.
If you only look for the bad, it’s all you will see. There is also tremendous capacity for good. And I dare say, with confidence that Christianity is at the heart of much of it. That doesn’t mean others don’t. It doesn’t mean that other are lesser, or worse, or uncompassionate, or not afraid of hell, it means that Christians are by and large the most giving in terms of time, money and effort, presumably because they are trying to live the Christian message.[/quote]

Thanks Pat. You make a good point here. I will read those links. Just curious where you are in the USA? Confusion

[quote]confusion wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:
If Christianity is true,we should certainly see good examples of it around us. For example, the 2nd commandment and also Jesus words. “love thy neighbor as thyself”. How many people do we even see TRYING to do this,let alone accomplish it? I am curious to know what peoples idea of a Christian is…Thanks. Confusion [/quote]

Not the news media, that’s for sure. You can look for news of people helping each other. For instance:

I mean, there are a lot of people doing a lot of good stuff. Dare I say living the Christian message. And the message doesn’t begin or end with these massive campaigns, Christian Charity begins in the home and your community. Simply a kind word can change a person’s day. A small act of kindness can yield massive results. In as much as there is visibly tremendous evil in the world, there is also tremendous kindness and charity.
If you only look for the bad, it’s all you will see. There is also tremendous capacity for good. And I dare say, with confidence that Christianity is at the heart of much of it. That doesn’t mean others don’t. It doesn’t mean that other are lesser, or worse, or uncompassionate, or not afraid of hell, it means that Christians are by and large the most giving in terms of time, money and effort, presumably because they are trying to live the Christian message.[/quote]

Thanks Pat. You make a good point here. I will read those links. Just curious where you are in the USA? Confusion
[/quote]
Charitable works are awesome and people who take the time and effort to help people should really be commended. However, Jesus said something quite profound about works that all Christians should consider.

The passage is at Matthew 7:22-23 which states: “Not everyone saying to me, Lord, Lord,will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name? 23 And then I will declare to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!”

That “day” is during Armageddon. So Jesus is saying that there will be people who will be doing good works, charitable works in the name of Jesus. These people obviously have the faith but they also have the works but yet Jesus is going to reject them. What makes this so serious is that these people won’t know until it’s too late. Something to think about.

I.was.going.to.quote that scripture in another tbread, ut I didn’t think it would be well received. I think this refers to people who know the scriptures but deny the power there of. Sad

We are the pure selected few
And all the rest are damned
There’s room enough in hell for you
We don’t want heaven crammed

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
We don’t want heaven crammed[/quote]

So overpopulation isn’t just an earthly problem. We are so fucked.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:
This guy knows his Bible. Many Christian groups don’t even believe Jehovah’s Witnesses are Christians.

[/quote]

They’re not. Not even close.

Precisely.

They’re the very epitome of cults of whom Christ and the Apostles warned.

Maybe you’d feel differently if you had firsthand experience with JW’s. They are a hollow, fragile, disingenuous cult, who like the Mormons, are purty on the outside, cancerous on the inside.

And no, I won’t get into a JW debate here other than to say if you remove the deity of Jesus Christ you are in no shape, form or fashion, and under no circumstances a Christian.

[/quote]

My original question was what is a Christian…Push starts to answer here,in an unsuprisingly unfriendly way,lol,about what is not a Christian…which is cool. So,where are we? I believe we can say Push feels that believing in the triune godhead is a requirement. Is this true? Does someone have to believe Jesus=God to be a Christian?

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]mse2us wrote:

[quote]Severiano wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:
I will guess and say you are a JW. you’re always welcome here. I respect that JWs know what they believe and live it without apology,nor compromise. They also take the gospel message seriously and try to help people find god. I don’t criticize someone who is trully doing their best to live for god and spreading the gospel message.confusion[/quote]

So here is where I get confused… You brought up all the wolves, pagan like beliefs brought about by the Greek… But then you tell a J.W. that you understand their positions. But, J.W.'s do this thing where they say they only go by what the bible states, yet they go by the King James Bible, which isn’t original at all. I would be more understanding of J.W.'s positions if they went by ancient gospels that aren’t necessarily used by the Bible, as well as gospels from the bible to have a true understanding of the faith, and it’s history like they claim to have… They seem to be somewhat gnostic in their practice, not voting or taking part in war… Even against the Nazi’s.

What I don’t understand is, what is the real rigid original Christian Doctrine anyways? It’s my understanding/ hunch as is a lot of much smarter people than myself that the Bible, and the Abrahemic God is just an accumulation of all of the omni properties from other Gods, and there are bits and pieces of other Gods stories that make up the story of Christs properties.

You find things like virgin birth, making water into wine, rising from the dead all things that have been done before Christ that were facets of other Gods abilities, and even extremely similar storylines…

So, again… Where, and what are the actual original works of Christianity? We know there are some old Hebrew works. :slight_smile:

I think the most important thing to avoid, while being Christian is picking and choosing what to follow, and arguing ways from the bible when it’s beneficial, and ignoring aspects of the bible again, when it’s beneficial. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who claim to be Christian that are like this.[/quote]
Interesting points. You’re right, the King James Bible isn’t original. Not only that, the King James Bible is one of the worst Bible translations available today. The main reasons is because the translation isn’t accurate and the way we talk today is different from the way people talked back then. Meaning that it’s not in modern English so some words in the King James are no longer used and some words used in it have different meanings today. For example, according to the book Truth in Translation(an excellent book for getting a better understanding of the different translations), the word “prevent” meant “come” not “hinder.” “Let” meant “prevent” now it means “allow.” “Suffer” meant “allow,” now it’s used for experiencing pain. There’s literally dozens of words like this in the King James Bible. Fortunately, we stopped using the King James Bible way back in the 1950s. We use the New World Translation and according to the book Truth in Translation(written by James David DeBuhn an associate professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University and is not a Jehovah’s Witness), the New World Translation is the most accurate of all the major translations of the Bible. Not only is the New World Translation a very accurate translation but it’s been revised so that it won’t have the problem I described with the King James translation. It was revised in 1984 and most recently in 2013.

We do use other ancient manuscripts to help our understanding. For example, the writings of first century Jewish historian Josephus is often referred to especially with regard to the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple. That’s because at Luke 19:41-44; 21:20, 21, Jesus told his disciples exactly what would happen when Rome came to destroy Jerusalem. In 33 C.E. Jesus told them that a literal wooden fence would be built around the city so that no one could escape and that the temple would be so thoroughly destroyed that not a stone would be left upon a stone. Two days later he told his disciples that when they saw Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies they should know that the city’s destruction was near. When his disciples saw this they were to immediately begin to prepare to flee the city. If they did not leave, they would be caught in the city when the fence was built and would be unable to escape and be killed with the Jews. Josephus reported on what happened and it happened exactly as Jesus prophesied. After the Jewish revolt in 66 C.E., general Cestius Gallus attacked the city and surrounded it. For some unknown reason he withdrew from the city. According to Josephus and other reports, the faithful Christians (who were already expecting the end of the Jewish system of things based on the signs Jesus told them to look for at Luke 21) who were in the city remembered what Jesus said 33 years early and immediately fled to a neutral city in the mountains name Pella. Four years later, in 70 C.E., general Titus had his soldiers build a 4.5 mile fence in just three days that surrounded the city. After 5 months, Rome completely destroyed the city and the temple. Over a million people which included unfaithful Christians who didn’t heed Jesus’ warning and the Jews who had no clue about the prophecy Jesus told his disciples, were killed and tens of thousands were taken into slavery. Josephus recorded this and his writings can be found in the book entitled Jewish War and Roman historian Eusebius Pamphilus wrote a book entitled Ecclesiastical History which mentions the Christians actions once the Roman army withdrew in 66 C.E. We use these writings and other to help us get a better understanding of the time period of the Bible and to strengthen our faith in Bible prophecies such as the one I just explained. However, none of these secular writing are inspired by God like the Bible is. We believe that of all of the ancient writings, the Bible stands alone as being the only holy book and when any secular book contradicts the Bible, we believe the Bible.

Regarding the Nazis…JWs were the first and initially the only religious group to openly oppose Hitler and the Nazis(there were individuals within Catholic and Protestant religions that opposed Hitler but they were the minority. The majority of Catholic and Protestant religions not only accepted them but embraced them). Because of that they were among the first to be put into concentration camps. Over 10,000 were put into camps and hundreds died.

Regarding the works of Christianity…the Hebrew scriptures are just as important as the Christian-Greek scriptures but there is very little regarding Christianity in the Hebrew scriptures. The Hebrew scriptures shows how the seed or offspring mentioned at Genesis 3:15, that would undo the effects of the rebellion in the Garden of Eden, would be produced from Abraham’s offspring. And how this seed, Jesus, would rule as king over a kingdom that will remove the current kingdoms or governments and rule forever(Daniel 2:44; 7:13, 14; Isaiah 9:6,7; chapter 11). The original first century Christians are the original Christians. The only way to find the original works of Christianity is to read the Christian-Greek scriptures. Jesus told his disciples to seek first the kingdom and once the Christian congregation was formed that’s what they did. They understood that it was through God’s kingdom that God’s original purpose which is perfect humans who would live forever in paradise on earth would be fulfilled. We model ourselves after the first century Christians and put our hope in God’s kingdom to remove the current wickedness we see today.
[/quote]

NWT is really not a good translation. Secret committee, no independent verification outside the Watch Tower. Most Christian denominations do not recognize it as a valid translation.
I know you are a JW and that’s what you guys use, but it is considered an errant translation by most Christian denominations, both Protestant and Catholic.
I mean no offense at your faith or your beliefs. I just want to make it known that the majority of Christian scholars do not recognize the NWT and do not consider it an accurate translation.
I am not saying this to you per se, but for those who aren’t familiar with the Christian faith that the NWT is used only by and for JW’s and no others.[/quote]

This actually disagrees with I read about the NWT on wikipedia. It appears several academics find it to be among the best or the best translation available,even better than the New International Version(NIV). The main fault noted is that Jehovah is used 237 times in the new testament. This is explained and seems reasonable to me. If its the same God in the OT and NT,what difference does it make to the meaning…? Another and more serious(in my mind) issue has to do with the translation of passages that seem to imply the diety of Jesus. I will check more into that. Confusion

This is what “impale” means.

[quote]mse2us wrote:
It’s no surprise that other Christian denominations don’t agree with it. Since our beliefs are different than all other Christian denominations and we try to show people why beliefs such as Hellfire and immortality of the soul is not Biblical the first things people will say is because our Bible is different. It’s actually 99 percent the same as the other major translations.

[/quote]

Yes, and chimpanzee DNA is 99 percent human. But the 1 percent that is different makes a lot of difference.

Let’s take John 1:1, for example.

Oh, what a difference a single letter can make. If you translate “kai theos en ho logos” as “and the word was a god” (as the NWT does) rather than “and the word was God” (actually, “and God was the word”, or even “and the word was Divine” would be more accurate), you get a completely different meaning, one which invalidates the concept of Christian monotheism, as well as the idea that Jesus and Yahweh are, in effect, two aspects of the same one god. You can see where mainstream Christianity might have trouble with this.

Also, why translate “stauroo” as “impale”? The Romans practiced crucifixion. That is, the affixing of a condemned criminal with nails to an upright post called a stipes AND a crossbeam called a patibulum, which the condemned would have to carry through the street in full view of the jeering crowd, as part of his punishment.

The crux of the matter–yes, the crucial point–is that this was how the practice was conducted for centuries in the Roman Empire, and it was a common practice in Judaea during the reign of Tiberius, and there is no reason to think that the patibulum was done away with in the case of one minor criminal named Yeshua ha-Nozri. So why the insistence that Jesus was “impaled” only on an upright post? I get that the Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t like the worship of the image of the crucifix…or perhaps you would like to disassociate your religion from the image of the bloody crosses on everything from the Crusader’s swords and shields to the iron crosses dangling from the necks of Nazi soldiers.

HOWEVER, the historicity of Jesus is on shaky enough ground without introducing a blatantly ahistorical element to the narrative, just to avoid a disliked piece of iconography.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
We don’t want heaven crammed[/quote]

So overpopulation isn’t just an earthly problem. We are so fucked. [/quote]

Speaking of that, please ask my dear friend Varq to respond to my plea for specificity on his overpopulation “solutions.” Mention the inadequacy of his earlier (on other thread) platitudinal efforts.[/quote]

How about this for a specific solution: neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

Just kidding.

If you actually want to hear my detailed solution for the most pressing problem faced by the human race, you’ll have to be patient. I do actually have other things to do right now.

Nitpick: That impalement illustration is not accurate. They didn’t extend it through the mouth. That would kill the victim immediately. And they didn’t use a sharpened stake, because a sharpened stake would puncture organs causing a quick death. They used a stake with a rounded tip that would push the organs aside rather than puncture them. Furthermore, they didn’t insert it in the anus because it could only go so far without puncturing organs. They actually cut a hole between the anus and the scrotum/vagina and inserted it there. The technical term for this area is the “perineum”. It was an Eastern torture that was probably brought to Europe by the Turks.

[quote]confusion wrote:
My original question was what is a Christian…Push starts to answer here,in an unsuprisingly unfriendly way,lol,about what is not a Christian…which is cool. So,where are we? I believe we can say Push feels that believing in the triune godhead is a requirement. Is this true? Does someone have to believe Jesus=God to be a Christian?
[/quote]

The question of the divinity of Jesus has been a ticklish subject nearly from the beginning. Lots of Christians did NOT, in fact believe that Jesus was God, or even “a god”. But all such sects were outlawed as heretical at the council of Nicaea, and the divinity of Jesus became an obligatory article of faith, a prime component of Nicene Creed.

So the answer to your question is another question. Is a “Christian” someone who follows the teachings of Jesus in order to attain spiritual growth, much as a Taoist is someone who follows the teachings of Lao-Tsu, or is a Christian someone who believes that the creator of the universe disguised himself as a Galilean carpenter so that he could have himself killed as a scapegoat-like human sacrifice to vicariously absolve the human race of its crimes, in perpetuity, and that ONLY this belief, coupled with a plea for forgiveness from the creator (but only through the agency of his Galilean avatar), will save one’s postmortem life-force from an eternity of torture.

If your answer is “the latter”, then yes.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Nitpick: That impalement illustration is not accurate. They didn’t extend it through the mouth. That would kill the victim immediately. And they didn’t use a sharpened stake, because a sharpened stake would puncture organs causing a quick death. They used a stake with a rounded tip that would push the organs aside rather than puncture them. Furthermore, they didn’t insert it in the anus because it could only go so far without puncturing organs. They actually cut a hole between the anus and the scrotum/vagina and inserted it there. The technical term for this area is the “perineum”. It was an Eastern torture that was probably brought to Europe by the Turks.[/quote]

Yeah, I know, I just grabbed the first, most gruesome image I could find. And in fact, the Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t mean “impalement” as it’s commonly understood, but rather attachment to a vertical post with nails through both hands and feet. Which was, to be sure, a method of execution, just not the most common one used by the Romans for that particular crime in that particular period of history.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:
[/quote]

The question of the divinity of Jesus has been a ticklish subject nearly from the beginning. Lots of Christians did NOT, in fact believe that Jesus was God, or even “a god”. But all such sects were outlawed as heretical at the council of Nicaea, and the divinity of Jesus became an obligatory article of faith, a prime component of Nicene Creed.

So the answer to your question is another question. Is a “Christian” someone who follows the teachings of Jesus in order to attain spiritual growth, much as a Taoist is someone who follows the teachings of Lao-Tsu, or is a Christian someone who believes that the creator of the universe disguised himself as a Galilean carpenter so that he could have himself killed as a scapegoat-like human sacrifice to vicariously absolve the human race of its crimes, in perpetuity, and that ONLY this belief, coupled with a plea for forgiveness from the creator (but only through the agency of his Galilean avatar), will save one’s postmortem life-force from an eternity of torture.

If your answer is “the latter”, then yes.[/quote]

Are you a writer,or ever considered being one:)

[quote]mse2us wrote:
99 percent of our beliefs can be found in any translation of the Bible. I actually prefer to show people in their own translation of the Bible so people can’t say that we come to our conclusions because our Bible is different.

Regarding the accuracy of our translation. . . . take a look at the book Truth in Translation as to why the New World Translation is the most accurate of the major translations. The author is a third party professor who is not a JW.

[/quote]

I guess saying “Don’t be offended” really isn’t going to stop somebody from being offended.
You are right most of the NWT is in line with other translations. The errors I have seen were pretty stark and extremely important verses.
Anyway, I don’t want to fight with you. You seem like a nice person and I am sure you have a good relationship with the Lord and I have no issue with you, at all. I wish you all the best. I just had the one comment and I will not interrupt you again.

[quote]confusion wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

[/quote]
Georgia, North Metro Atlanta.

[quote]confusion wrote:
I.was.going.to.quote that scripture in another tbread, ut I didn’t think it would be well received. I think this refers to people who know the scriptures but deny the power there of. Sad[/quote]

I am familiar with similar verses, if not the verse you are thinking of. Most of us replying here have read the whole Bible. You’re not going to quote something that offends us. I would appreciate that when you do, that you include which translation it is from.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]confusion wrote:

[/quote]
Georgia, North Metro Atlanta.[/quote]

Ah. Good stuff. Been in stuck in traffic there before! that beltway can become surprisingly crowded considering all the lanes. I lived in SC for a while near I85.