What is a Bodybuilder?

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
I’m kind of disappointed this thread didn’t contain a Castlevania: SotN reference.

LOL… Definitely one of the best “bad” voice-over jobs of any game ever. Probably the single and ONLY thing wrong with that classic game.

that ali quote kicks ass. it definately speaks to the immense damange you can do to yourself in the focused pursuit of any goal. consequences are unforseeable.

[quote]celtics2022 wrote:
Biggest roid gut I’ve ever seen LMAO. How disgusting.[/quote]

Wow. Five 09’ers on the ‘ignore’ list now.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
This is a bodybuilder.

Those calves…[/quote]

No shyt! He had to have the biggest calves after Matarazzo. This is his peak for sure!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]celtics2022 wrote:
Biggest roid gut I’ve ever seen LMAO. How disgusting.[/quote]

Wow. Five 09’ers on the ‘ignore’ list now. [/quote]

you going to miss out on the pictures of him looking like Frank Zane after his cut.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
No shyt! He had to have the biggest calves after Matarazzo. This is his peak for sure![/quote]

I looked that guy up…damn crazy calves

This was the only quote wiki gave from him "Oh, god, where do I begin? I’d have to say that everything that led to my heart problem began the minute I started getting serious about competitive bodybuilding. In order to get bigger, I’d eat five, six, seven pounds of red meat a day, no vegetables. And I’d stay away from fruits because of their sugar.

Worst were the chemicals. I have so many memories of being alone in a hotel room the week, five days or two days before a contest, and doing unspeakable things to my body–steroids, growth hormones, diuretics–anything and everything that we as bodybuilders do to achieve a certain look.

It has affected my whole life, so to all those guys who are on an eternal quest to have 21" arms and 20" calves, and who are so vain about their never-say-die attitude, I say, “Change your attitude.”

Worry about keeping that body of yours as healthy as possible, because it’s going to have to last you not just through your next contest or to the end of your bodybuilding contract, but for a long time. And a long time for a human being is nothing. It goes by real quick, even quicker when your health is gone and you have nothing to stand on"

Pretty much in the opposite direction of Dave Pulcinella

You know HolyMac, I think you stole my copy of Pumping Iron when we lived in Johnson Hall.

Can I have it back?

I’ve always been inspired by Davie Pulcinella. I actually called him once, years ago. He was very encouraging. I have not seen his DVD series, but I would like to get it some day. Obviously, he’s hard core.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
The guy in the video also made another clip claiming that there are only 6 foods that work with the human body, and that those are the only 6 foods that he will consume (not food types, foods).[/quote]

Finally found what I was talking about, though it was pretty interesting.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
No shyt! He had to have the biggest calves after Matarazzo. This is his peak for sure![/quote]

I looked that guy up…damn crazy calves

This was the only quote wiki gave from him "Oh, god, where do I begin? I’d have to say that everything that led to my heart problem began the minute I started getting serious about competitive bodybuilding. In order to get bigger, I’d eat five, six, seven pounds of red meat a day, no vegetables. And I’d stay away from fruits because of their sugar.

Worst were the chemicals. I have so many memories of being alone in a hotel room the week, five days or two days before a contest, and doing unspeakable things to my body–steroids, growth hormones, diuretics–anything and everything that we as bodybuilders do to achieve a certain look.

It has affected my whole life, so to all those guys who are on an eternal quest to have 21" arms and 20" calves, and who are so vain about their never-say-die attitude, I say, “Change your attitude.”

Worry about keeping that body of yours as healthy as possible, because it’s going to have to last you not just through your next contest or to the end of your bodybuilding contract, but for a long time. And a long time for a human being is nothing. It goes by real quick, even quicker when your health is gone and you have nothing to stand on"

Pretty much in the opposite direction of Dave Pulcinella [/quote]

Mike went to the hospital twice in the 90’s during a contest or right afterward due to damage caused by the use of diuretics to get into contest shape. Mike was competing around the time that Andreas Munzer died (many believe of similar issues trying to get super dried out on stage which they now believe thickened his blood until his body failed) so that mentality seemed to be pretty prevalent. One time that Mike got sick he took too much potassium (so he said) while also using diuretics.

I don’t know what caused his health problems specifically, but based on his past, this is another reason I am against how dry the guys have to be now on stage just to fit in.

People like Sergio Oliva and others wouldn’t stand a chance today in the shape they were in because people today would actually call that “fat” on stage.

The use of diuretics may just be more harmful than anything else these guys do to their bodies.

yeah i think it would be awesome if bbers didnt need to get as dry as they do. it would be cool if it ws like in the 70’s with arnold etc in terms of how lean they would need to get for stage. it also takes quite a lot of pain from the whole process, getting to enjoy being on stage etc more in stead of whether or not you’re going to pass out from dehydration lol.

That guys fridge looks just like mine! Eggs, eggs and more eggs.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
The guy in the video also made another clip claiming that there are only 6 foods that work with the human body, and that those are the only 6 foods that he will consume (not food types, foods).[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, he gets extra credit from me with the extra pressure of trying to stick to a strict diet in an Italian family. From the “Acme” food cans in the vid, I’m guessing he’s in PA or NJ near Philly-- lots of good Italian food there!

Hell, I’m putting away 4-4500 cals or so, and when I visit family and turn down a Pizzelle or Spaghetti, I still get shit for not eating enough!!! No problems with extra Frittata though!!

I think to those who don’t think too much about what they eat, the distinction between a plain sweet potato and candied sweet potato might be lost.

They say things like: “You’ll eat 5 frittatas*, but you won’t eat a piece of toast! You eat all the meatballs, but no spaghetti! [i]You’re wreckin’ your cholesterol!!!”

• For the non-Italians- a frittata :slight_smile:Frittata

Lol, I’ve dated mostly Italian girls over the years, and family dinners are always funny once the Mother gets it in her head that I have my ‘special food issues’. Usually I would end up getting a separate bowl of meatballs just for myself, or on occasion, someone would ‘try’ to help me out by cooking up some whole wheat pasta -lol.

S

i never thought that it would be so difficult for people and especially family to understand why i ate what i ate in my contest prep… i come from an italian family and it became very annoying to answer peoples questions… nearly got disowned for bringing food to my nonna’s house! she caught on eventually and cooked separate for me…

[quote]Davius wrote:
i never thought that it would be so difficult for people and especially family to understand why i ate what i ate in my contest prep… i come from an italian family and it became very annoying to answer peoples questions… nearly got disowned for bringing food to my nonna’s house! she caught on eventually and cooked separate for me… [/quote]

Dude, it’s not just Italians. I have had that issue since I was in the 7th grade when I first got interested in lifting weights and bought my first Flex magazine. Because of my family’s understanding of “bodybuilding”, I made very little progress until I moved out of the house completely. Having regular arguments with people over the number of eggs I eat is not conducive to making much progress.

I often wonder where I would be right now physically if I would have had more support from that age onward.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

These are the same 6 things I eat over and over again (though I have added yogurt and eliminated bananas). It’s good to get confirmation once and a while, and to see someone else who is dealing with the same heckling I get all the time about my diet.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

egg whites
oatmeal
chicken breasts
tuna
banana
brown rice/sweet potato

He is talking about contest dieting (as I am sure someone that size doesn’t avoid BEEF in the off season). With that in mind, it makes perfect sense. I don’t see too many people who are trying to get under 7% body fat eating much else than that by the final weeks of the diet. Other foods are generally gradually tapered off until this remains along with water intake.

Also, I am more than sure some newbie is going to read this thread and start only eating those foods for abs yet wondering years later why they have so little muscle on their frame.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
He is talking about contest dieting (as I am sure someone that size doesn’t avoid BEEF in the off season). [/quote]

Since he competes regularly, this may be true, but one can still gain plenty of weight just eating these foods. I got the feeling he doesn’t eat red meat (but he probably wouldn’t object to it for another lifter). Just the sense I got.

Here’s another factor–he’s probably not trying to gain weight anymore (he competed as a super-heavyweight in 2005).

I agree with Prof X–if you are trying to get up to the lean 227 lbs that Dave Pulcinella brings to the stage, you should pull out all the stops and expand your diet to include other bulking foods, particularly red meat.