T Nation

What If We Had This Site Earlier

What if when we were all younger we had computers and an awesome web site like this.

I was just thinking about how much bigger I may have gotten if I had access to multiple leg workouts. I always kept myself around the middle weight size because I couldn’t for the life of me get size on my legs. My upper body would blow up like a ballon but then I would look like a dork with big arms, chest and back but zero legs.

I remember being twenty six with 17 1/2 inch guns and 22 inch legs. Now with all the info I’m getting on this site from articles and other site users I’m finally getting some size on my legs.

I can remember back in the day when I could feel the bite of the steel. The inner desire to push more and more, wanting to crush things with my bare hands. Starting to get that feeling again, well you’re never to old to give it a try.

I think you are one crazy SOB

[quote]streamline wrote:

I can remember back in the day when I could feel the bite of the steel. The inner desire to push more and more, wanting to crush things with my bare hands. Starting to get that feeling again, well you’re never to old to give it a try.[/quote]

SL

I know exactly what you mean. I also have a much better discipline with my nutrition these days than before…

[quote]streamline wrote:
What if when we were all younger we had computers and an awesome web site like this.

I was just thinking about how much bigger I may have gotten if I had access to multiple leg workouts. I always kept myself around the middle weight size because I couldn’t for the life of me get size on my legs. My upper body would blow up like a ballon but then I would look like a dork with big arms, chest and back but zero legs.

I remember being twenty six with 17 1/2 inch guns and 22 inch legs. Now with all the info I’m getting on this site from articles and other site users I’m finally getting some size on my legs.

I can remember back in the day when I could feel the bite of the steel. The inner desire to push more and more, wanting to crush things with my bare hands. Starting to get that feeling again, well you’re never to old to give it a try.

Wilba wrote:
I think you are one crazy SOB[/quote]

Yeah, he is, but we keep him around to make the rest of us look sane.

BITD the coach handed me an iron ball and said here, learn to throw this. Took many trips to the local library looking up old articles on microfilm and checking out books. Now I can download anything I want including videos of meets and techniques. Hell, on the thrower’s web sites I chat with the best thrower’s in the world.

As for my bare hands, I was lot more interested in getting them on some tender young female flesh than crushing things.

Lost the feeling for a long time but got it back. Can’t ever be young again but I sure plan on going kicking and screaming into old age.

The internet provides endless knowledge.

Knowledge is power.

The internet is free power.

Natural laws indicate that this situation cannot be maintained perpetually.

I kick myself frequently for not starting lifting 30 years ago–T-Nation or not.

[quote]streamline wrote:
[/quote]

Well, I’d probably be doing the exact same thing I did when I was 20 and there was no internet. You know, going out drinking, smoking and playing rock and roll all night. Then getting a few hours sleep, grabbing my stick, and scoring a goal on a 16 yard hit. When I was 20, I thought I was immortal, and could do just about anything. Heck, I was an athlete, I didn’t need to lift no stinkin weights!

Until mortality kicked me in the ass, years later.

I’ve only been at it 8 months. I’m in my 30’s, and I never did it until just recently, and only then because my husband wanted to join a gym and start working out as a couple.

But one thing I already know for sure, there’s a whole lotta people at my gym who don’t have a clue what they are doing, a whole lotta trainers who don’t know what THEY’RE DOING EITHER, and it’s sad because there’s a ton of free info out there to get and learn if you’re willing to do that.

Most of the members who were there when I started look EXACTLY the same as they did the day I started. lol

Tawney

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:

Knowledge is power.

Natural laws indicate that this situation cannot be maintained perpetually.[/quote]

The internet provides endless garbage (with a few pearls such as this site).
Garbage makes fools of all who believe it.
Fools pepetuate their own folly.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:

Knowledge is power.

Natural laws indicate that this situation cannot be maintained perpetually.[/quote]

Not quite.

The internet provides information and misinformation.

information does not equal knowledge

information, however, does provide opportunity

I was lucky in that I discovered the newsgroups (misc.fitness.weights and alt.fitness) about 10 years ago or so. I had been lifting for a couple of years before that.

In its day, misc.fitness.weights was THE source for information related to anything weight training related. That’s where I first really learned about the science behind weight training and dieting instead of just the crap that you get from magazines. I was able to talk to people like:

Dr. Mel Siff - Author of Supertraining and GOD of weight training
Lyle McDonald - ketogenic diet guru
Dan Duchaine - steroid and bodybuilding guru
Victor Conte - of BALCO and Barry Bonds fame
Patrick Arnold - of BALCO and Barry Bonds fame (Patrick is a really nice guy; I met him in NYC once)
Robin “HELLGA” Coleman - from American Gladiators and World’s Strongest Woman competitor from the first season of that.
Jason Deepsquatter Burnell - not really famous except in his own mind but a great source for PL information

And a bunch of others, known and unknown.

When I was younger, I wouldn’t have been ready for the info. I always knew I should be lifting weights but I never could get serious about it until I was older. I was too busy playing guitar.

I don’t know that it would have changed a whole lot for me. After leaving high school and the military, I just didn’t feel as motivated to keep training. The only chance it would have made a positive difference for me was if one of those many times I tried to restart my training I would have gotten much better results, as I have this time, and been so motivated by the positive results that I stuck with the program instead of dropping it 3-6 months in.

I think I wasted money on gym memberships 3 or four times in the past 15 years only to quit just as I was getting rolling. Of course the results were never really visually there in the past because I didn’t know how, what, or when to eat to lose the flab. This may be T-Nation’s greatest contribution to me personally.

The information was out there back then you just had to glean it from different sources. Also you had to be willing to take allot of crap from people who thought you were wasting your time, it is much more main stream today.