What if Texas Had a Muslim Governor?

Well…I know most will be sarcastic and say,“sure…why not. We have Muslim president.” But let’s be serious…I’m talking about a true-to-faith Muslim.

What are the chances in our current political environment? After Ft.Hood shooting? AND basically the fact that this is Texas…if ya know what I mean.

Well…Palestinian-born,Farouk Shami thinks his chances of being governor are great:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-shami_20tex.ART.State.Edition1.4b778d8.html

What will work against him the most? Being a Democrat? A hair-product tycoon? or a Muslim? Hmmmm. I admire the guy for in reality being a good example of immigrants(and Americans) who worked their ass off…but I also can’t help but feel sorry for the guy. He’s about to waste millions trying become governor of TX.

Boss I tried responding to your thread, but somehow it started another thread, here was my original response.

I think right now would be the worse time in light of the Ft. Hood situation. I also think his idea of making a “bridge of an economy” with the Texas-Mexico border will not make people happy. Typically I understood Texas to be Republican, and this guy sounds pretty liberal to me, I don’t think he has much of a future. This is me saying this from California too, I have no idea what the politics are like there, I do know they are better than here.

Ok…things have been sorted out. MaxB,repost what you stated in response to this.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Boss I tried responding to your thread, but somehow it started another thread, here was my original response.

I think right now would be the worse time in light of the Ft. Hood situation. I also think his idea of making a “bridge of an economy” with the Texas-Mexico border will not make people happy. Typically I understood Texas to be Republican, and this guy sounds pretty liberal to me, I don’t think he has much of a future. This is me saying this from California too, I have no idea what the politics are like there, I do know they are better than here.[/quote]

The Ft.Hood situation is definitely prevelant on our minds. Timing couldn’t have been worse…considering that he’s also Palestinian-American like Nadal. And yes,his words pretty much say that he wants to open our borders completely and give illegals free-pass to jobs…not gonna happen.

Texas is a Republican state…Austin is very liberal through-out. DFW and Houston were pretty much “blue” during elections recently…but are not necessarily liberal…yet. Other than that…TX is conservative stomping grounds.

This guy does have some serious pull…but only from a “money-talks” standpoint. He has history with Republicans and Democrats. This will be interesting…as some of his ideas and words are “red flag” material.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

I think right now would be the worse time in light of the Ft. Hood situation. I also think his idea of making a “bridge of an economy” with the Texas-Mexico border will not make people happy. Typically I understood Texas to be Republican, and this guy sounds pretty liberal to me, I don’t think he has much of a future. This is me saying this from California too, I have no idea what the politics are like there, I do know they are better than here.[/quote]

The Ft.Hood situation is definitely prevelant on our minds. Timing couldn’t have been worse…considering that he’s also Palestinian-American like Nadal. And yes,his words pretty much say that he wants to open our borders completely and give illegals free-pass to jobs…not gonna happen.

Texas is a Republican state…Austin is very liberal through-out. DFW and Houston were pretty much “blue” during elections recently…but are not necessarily liberal…yet. Other than that…TX is conservative stomping grounds.

This guy does have some serious pull…but only from a “money-talks” standpoint. He has history with Republicans and Democrats. This will be interesting…as some of his ideas and words are “red flag” material. [/quote]

“Red flag” as such it should be, I do not know what you saw. The thing that said wow, is the job creating and the stimulus talk. If he is talking about deregulating health insurance, but with talk about not accepting the stimulus money it sounds like he is not really for business, except his.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Well…I know most will be sarcastic and say,“sure…why not. We have Muslim president.” But let’s be serious…I’m talking about a true-to-faith Muslim.

What are the chances in our current political environment? After Ft.Hood shooting? AND basically the fact that this is Texas…if ya know what I mean.

Well…Palestinian-born,Farouk Shami thinks his chances of being governor are great:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-shami_20tex.ART.State.Edition1.4b778d8.html

What will work against him the most? Being a Democrat? A hair-product tycoon? or a Muslim? Hmmmm. I admire the guy for in reality being a good example of immigrants(and Americans) who worked their ass off…but I also can’t help but feel sorry for the guy. He’s about to waste millions trying become governor of TX.

[/quote]

The answer lies in roots (not the book btw ;). Black people, white people, latinos (some) who have been here for generations, are much more trustworthy, IMO. You don’t trash your family’s neighborhood. Recent immigrants like Barry have only a shallow loyalty to the state or country.

So, the Muslim dude’s grandchild might win, but not him.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

This guy does have some serious pull…but only from a “money-talks” standpoint. He has history with Republicans and Democrats. This will be interesting…as some of his ideas and words are “red flag” material. [/quote]

My only comment is that this appears to be a case where a man’s faith is obviously at odds with his sexuality. That’s the biggest problem I see for Ahmed, or whatever his name is.

Julian Castro, Mayor of San Antonio. No way Islam beats Hispanic charm and charisma in the great state of Texas.

I mean, how do you argue with that grin? That’s like, the most charming grin since Jesus. And he’s got a proven political record. And he doesn’t share a faith with a guy who just went on a shooting rampage at an Army base.

Distant future, maybe. But in the upcoming years, my money’s on this cat.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Julian Castro, Mayor of San Antonio. No way Islam beats Hispanic charm and charisma in the great state of Texas.

I mean, how do you argue with that grin? That’s like, the most charming grin since Jesus. And he’s got a proven political record. And he doesn’t share a faith with a guy who just went on a shooting rampage at an Army base.

Distant future, maybe. But in the upcoming years, my money’s on this cat.[/quote]

Hell yeah…Fez for governor!

[quote]Otep wrote:

I mean, how do you argue with that grin? That’s like, the most charming grin since Jesus.[/quote]

Second only to Buddy Jesus!