T Nation

What if Everyone Ate Meat?

Hi all.

I’ve recently converted to low-carb/high fat life style, and been thinking what if eating this way was the norm?

Do you think it would be sustainable both environmentally and economically for everyone in the world to eat low-carb.

That is a lot of meat! Maybe this is why grains has become such a large part of our lives. Is there enough meat to go around?

If not, then our population would just decrease as people starved until balanced was achieved.

EDIT: Or if industry became involved, huge meat farms would sprout up everywhere and the quality of the meat would likely decrease.

Bring back the Bison!

num,num!

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:

EDIT: Or if industry became involved, huge meat farms would sprout up everywhere and the quality of the meat would likely decrease.[/quote]

Are you joking here?

I’m glad everyone doesn’t, more for us.

[quote]andyr wrote:
Hi all.

I’ve recently converted to low-carb/high fat life style, and been thinking what if eating this way was the norm?

Do you think it would be sustainable both environmentally and economically for everyone in the world to eat low-carb.

That is a lot of meat! Maybe this is why grains has become such a large part of our lives. Is there enough meat to go around?[/quote]

Good topic. I don’t think the world could support a population of 6 billion plus eating a completely meat based diet without significantly more environmental impact.

[quote]andyr wrote:
Hi all.

I’ve recently converted to low-carb/high fat life style, and been thinking what if eating this way was the norm?

Do you think it would be sustainable both environmentally and economically for everyone in the world to eat low-carb.

That is a lot of meat! Maybe this is why grains has become such a large part of our lives. Is there enough meat to go around?[/quote]

Grains are simply much more efficient than meat. I believe it takes around seven kilos of grain to produce 1 kilogram of feedlot beef.

The human body did not evolve while eating what is basically dried grass, so a grain based diet is not ideal, but it is necessary for the majority of the worlds population. Six billion people eating multiples servings of meat per day is not sustainable.

I expect vegetarianism to drastically increase in popularity in coming years. This will happen even more rapidly if a carbon tax is put in place.

[quote]sen say wrote:
LiftSmart wrote:

EDIT: Or if industry became involved, huge meat farms would sprout up everywhere and the quality of the meat would likely decrease.

Are you joking here?[/quote]

Here is where we currently grow our meat.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
sen say wrote:
LiftSmart wrote:

EDIT: Or if industry became involved, huge meat farms would sprout up everywhere and the quality of the meat would likely decrease.

Are you joking here?

Here is where we currently grow our meat. [/quote]

Kind of a stretch, but looking at that picture combined with your avatar is very funny.

All of America could very easily eat this way. It might not be feasible or economically sustainable for the world as a whole. But a lot of people in a lot of underdeveloped countries unfortunately have much bigger problems, like getting enough of any type of food to eat at all.


This is where most people get their beef.

[quote]sen say wrote:
This is where most people get their beef.[/quote]

What?? The hell you say! Beef mass produced under inhumane conditions at cattle lots in America? I don’t believe it! I simply won’t! Only the soulless communists would do something like that. Where was that picture taken? RED CHINA??

NateOrade, you’re right. I hadn’t even noticed. Pretty funny.

Here’s the thing about the “US” view of low carb. For the general population, here’s what it means:

No potatoes.
No bread.
Lots of sausage, steak, and bacon
No vegetables
No fruit.
Lots of sugar alcohols.

What a GOOD diet should have are LoW GI carbs
(grains, not bleached out flour and crap like that)
no refined sugars
NO CORN SYRUP!
Lots of vegetables (raw and cooked without 10 pounds of margarine or butter on 'em)
Fruits
LEAN protein choices

So, really, I don’ think the WORLD could support a US version of ‘low carb’ 'cuz we all would want our 52 ounce steaks and a pile of buttered green beans, but that the rest of the world could do without our ‘fake carbs’ like the breads, sweets, and sugar in all the ‘low fat’ stuff that’s out there.

Sorry about the ramble…

Think of all the meats most Americans DON’T eat…

Horse, goat, sheep, deer, dog, cat, etc.

I don’t think we’re in any serious danger of running out of sources of meat or the places to grow it any time soon. Imagine how good deer would taste if it was farm-raised so the diet could be controlled to reduce the gamy taste.

People on here were creaming their shorts when Thibaudeau talked about eating horse meat because they wanted to be just like him.

I think we’ll be ok…

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
If not, then our population would just decrease as people starved until balanced was achieved.

EDIT: Or if industry became involved, huge meat farms would sprout up everywhere and the quality of the meat would likely decrease.[/quote]

i pretty much agree. and i think hes just saying the quality of meat would be even worse than it is now.

there would definately be a huge population decrease if by some chance people could just not handle eating grains and such. however theory is nice and all but it is the way it is so just eat your meat, get big and make babies.

[quote]futurepharm wrote:
Imagine how good deer would taste if it was farm-raised so the diet could be controlled to reduce the gamy taste.
[/quote]

I know of several venison farms within a half hour drive of my house. A few do bison, elk, and ostrich as well.

It’s not gamey at all. In fact, it’s a little fatter than the wild deer so you don’t have to cut it much or at all with other fattier meat for sausage, burger, etc.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
futurepharm wrote:
Imagine how good deer would taste if it was farm-raised so the diet could be controlled to reduce the gamy taste.

I know of several venison farms within a half hour drive of my house. A few do bison, elk, and ostrich as well.

It’s not gamey at all. In fact, it’s a little fatter than the wild deer so you don’t have to cut it much or at all with other fattier meat for sausage, burger, etc.

[/quote]

There’s a restaurant in Cleveland called the gamekeepers lodge, and they serve, as the name implies, ‘game meet’…and lemme tell you - venison, bison, ostrich, elk, all those items are phenomenal when prepared correctly and raised right.

Also in Cleveland, there’s a bar called “Harry Buffalo” that does buffalo (bison) burgers and steaks, and I believe the claim is that it’s 1/3 the fat of skinless chicken breast.

it is not environmentally feasible and the majority of people could not afford to do it. people with not as much money tend to eat carbs and lots of them because bread is cheap and meat and vegetables are not.

[quote]c22002 wrote:
it is not environmentally feasible and the majority of people could not afford to do it. people with not as much money tend to eat carbs and lots of them because bread is cheap and meat and vegetables are not. [/quote]

And I guess that’s another point I was trying to make…most of the WORLD doesn’t need to worry about eating a ‘low carb as the US sees it’ diet because they’re not munching on honey buns made with enriched white flour and coated with high fructose corn syrup. They’re eating REAL grains and REAL vegetables that PROBABLY aren’t coated in pesticides and things like that.

And they’re not obese like us.

:wink:

[quote]LightsOutLuthor wrote:
c22002 wrote:
it is not environmentally feasible and the majority of people could not afford to do it. people with not as much money tend to eat carbs and lots of them because bread is cheap and meat and vegetables are not.

And I guess that’s another point I was trying to make…most of the WORLD doesn’t need to worry about eating a ‘low carb as the US sees it’ diet because they’re not munching on honey buns made with enriched white flour and coated with high fructose corn syrup. They’re eating REAL grains and REAL vegetables that PROBABLY aren’t coated in pesticides and things like that.

And they’re not obese like us.

;)[/quote]

Most of the DEVELOPED world eats processed junk like most Americans. Not everwhere, but increasingly so these days. Most of the UNDERDEVELOPED world is starving.