What Idiot Invented These Plates?

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Most gyms I go to have these: http://www.irongrip.com/products/olympicplates_igx.asp and I enjoy them.[/quote]

same

there are no 35’s in my gym tho lol, not that anyone cares

[quote]trav123456 wrote:

Most gyms I go to have these: http://www.irongrip.com/products/olympicplates_igx.asp and I enjoy them.[/quote]

same

there are no 35’s in my gym tho lol, not that anyone cares[/quote]

I hate 35’s. I sold the ones that came with my weight set at home on Craigslist the 1st chance I got.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]trav123456 wrote:

same

I hate 35’s. I sold the ones that came with my weight set at home on Craigslist the 1st chance I got.[/quote]

why? they’re just another increment to me, although they don’t have a nickname like dimes quarters and plates

[quote]trav123456 wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]trav123456 wrote:

same

I hate 35’s. I sold the ones that came with my weight set at home on Craigslist the 1st chance I got.[/quote]

why? they’re just another increment to me, although they don’t have a nickname like dimes quarters and plates[/quote]

They’re redundant. If I have a 25 already, I’ll just add a 10. The weight set already comes with 4 10lbs plates so I don’t see why I’d ever need the 35. Since I have the 10’s I’d rather have another 45 instead. So I sold them, and put the money toward a pair of 45’s.

I’m picturing a few of these guys on the Island of Misfit Toys from Rudolph…

“nobody wants a weight plate that doesn’t roll!”…sniff sniff

I have 700lbs of these at home and they have it at the gym too. They are alright.

Do not like not round.
The suck to deadlift

Do not like slick coating.
Smash fake nails when loading - too fast!

My gym has crappy super-thick TechnoGym rubber coated plates. 2 standards iron 45’s put together are still thinner than one of those fuckers. An oly bar can only fit 5 of those plates, maybe a 6th plate with the risk of it falling apart. I have to duct tape the whole thing plus the extra plates if I wanna do stuff like T-Bars or rack pulls.

Hate plates like that and hex plates…srsly i thought the wheel was invented for a reason

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:
My gym has crappy super-thick TechnoGym rubber coated plates. 2 standards iron 45’s put together are still thinner than one of those fuckers. An oly bar can only fit 5 of those plates, maybe a 6th plate with the risk of it falling apart. I have to duct tape the whole thing plus the extra plates if I wanna do stuff like T-Bars or rack pulls.[/quote]

Can’t stand anything by TechnoGym, that compagny is pure crap. The machines are always broken or defective, and badly designed as a whole. Their plates are just the same. When I own my own gym, not a simple piece of equipment of that brand will go through my doors, that’s for sure!

If you stagger them and there are more than one on each side, don’t they become round? My last gym had these, never a problem, plus you can slide plates on by keeping the flat side toward the floor.

[quote]WP wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:
What exactly is the problem with them?[/quote]

Maybe because they aren’t round? [/quote]

I’m not a physicist, so I could be totally wrong, but wouldn’t the shape cause them to spin so one of the “fat” ends would be pointing down once you pick it up?[/quote]

It would be logical to assume so but the bulge in the plate simply isn’t big enough to cause the plate to spin, the bulge isn’t heavy enough.

…I tried my very best to explain that without using words such as “inertia” and “frictional coefficient”.[/quote]

Doesn’t matter if it tends to land round side down if you roll the bar out on every rep.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:
My gym has crappy super-thick TechnoGym rubber coated plates. 2 standards iron 45’s put together are still thinner than one of those fuckers. An oly bar can only fit 5 of those plates, maybe a 6th plate with the risk of it falling apart. I have to duct tape the whole thing plus the extra plates if I wanna do stuff like T-Bars or rack pulls.[/quote]

Can’t stand anything by TechnoGym, that compagny is pure crap. The machines are always broken or defective, and badly designed as a whole. Their plates are just the same. When I own my own gym, not a simple piece of equipment of that brand will go through my doors, that’s for sure![/quote]

Their leg press ( which is a copy of cybex ) is good.

All their equipment however, sucks, their bench press is made of fucking PLASTIC. Jesus christ, who the hell builds an equipment that is supposed to hold a barbell over someone’s head out of plastic ? Technogym is a disaster waiting to happen.