T Nation

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

Lot of good topics in the BB and GAL lately that has me reflecting on things.

If you could go find yourself 10 years ago, what would you tell yourself? I’d be 16 so here it goes:

First thing I would do is punch myself right in the face. Hard. Really. The first time someone, anyone gets punched in the face they learn alot. I fear I see too many grown men who have never been punched in the face these days.

Followed by:

Financially: save 10%, invest 10% and give away 10% every paycheck everytime and never buy somethign on a credit card unless you have the money right now in the bank to pay for it.
Health: start taking fish oil, everyday.
Family: Tell your parents you love them, everytime you see them.
Socially: Only keep good people in your life and dont waste a breath on the others
Business: Do what you said you would do, when you said you would do it.(thanks larry winget)
misc: Never beleive the pound when they say your dog will only be 30 lbs.

your turn folks.

1. Stop listening to what people think of you.
    Know your own goals and accept that haters will always exist. It means you are doing something while they aren’t in most cases.

2. Have way more sex and worry less about complications.
    I say this with full knowledge that most of the guys who actually lived like that now have high levels of child support to pay every month from the extra 5 kids they had with 3 different ladies…which I guess means, have more sex but expect more problems…so maybe I actually played that one just right.

3. Realize that everyone has issues.

4. Those people who act like they can do no wrong…often do the most.

I’d tell myself I was bipolar, get medicated a lot sooner, not blow tons of money on retarded crap while manic.

I’m torn on if I’d want to know that my marriage was going to abruptly end in exactly 10 years. I think I would drive myself crazy trying to prevent that, and in the end I don’t think I could have saved it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
2. Have way more sex and worry less about complications.
I say this with full knowledge that most of the guys who actually lived like that now have high levels of child support to pay every month from the extra 5 kids they had with 3 different ladies…which I guess means, have more sex but expect more problems…so maybe I actually played that one just right.
quote]

I would take child support over catching the bug anyday.

Catch the bug?

Are you gay?

If not dont worry about HIV. Even if you vaginally penetrate an HIV stricken woman tlhe transmission rate is 0.005%.

Go forth and rawdog my son

How many iphones apple would sell. I would of put every single penny i had into buying apple shares… Something like $9 10 years ago… 700 back in Autumn last year.

Stop eating dude.

Put down the xbox pad and pick up some meat and something heavy.

26 now, professional school student at an ivy league school, bachelors and master’s degrees.

1. Stick with state schools–don’t worry about the prestige factor.

If I could do it over again, I probably wouldn’t have taken on student debt to go to an ivy league school. Although I’ll be recouping the money with my job position this fall at a pretty fast clip, I’ve honestly seriously disliked (to put it mildly) my time at the ivy. The people are, by and large, very out of touch with reality and would drive most normal people crazy.

1. Be comfortable with the body that your genetics gave you.

I was a marathon runner in college despite really being built to be a stocky, muscular guy (played on the line in high school). I got obsessed with becoming skinny because that’s what seemed socially desirable at the time, when I really should have been thinking about what was right for me.

1. Enter college with a career-oriented focus.

I basically just took classes that interested me in college but never gave serious thought to what profession I was pursuing, at least until graduation started to become more of a reality to me. I wish I had thought more about it earlier.

1. Don’t lose touch with your high school friends.

I’m still in contact with them, but I can see the bonds loosening–they’ve consistently weakened since I left my hometown.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Catch the bug?

Are you gay?

If not dont worry about HIV. Even if you vaginally penetrate an HIV stricken woman tlhe transmission rate is 0.005%.

Go forth and rawdog my son[/quote]

how sure are you on those numbers?

(the only acceptable answer is 'I’m HIV Positive)

1. College will not leave you as smart as you think it does, you need to read more
    2 - 5) All involve specific sexual things that should, or shouldn’t take place in the next 3 years
  2. Calm down, and stop drinking so much
  3. You have less true friends than you think you do
  4. Skip T’s wedding, just skip it

I’ll be honest, I don’t want to change much… Now if this went back 15 years… Oh boy.

What are we talking about, having as much sex as possible or as many girls as possible?
Having as much sex is obviously safe because you can only do it with a girlfriend.

therajraj did you know 48 percent of black women are infected with genital herpes in the US aged 14-49 according to CDC.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

1. College will not leave you as smart as you think it does, you need to read more
    2 - 5) All involve specific sexual things that should, or shouldn’t take place in the next 3 years
  2. Calm down, and stop drinking so much
  3. You have less true friends than you think you do
    I’ll be honest, I don’t want to change much… Now if this went back 15 years… Oh boy.[/quote]

This, seriously, we are on the same brain wave.

1. Ignore the girls and most of your “friends” in high school. I know it is hard but they end up going nowhere and you are easily influenced.

2. Eat and eat more. Then, focus on the big 4 lifts and get your ass strong.

3. Focus on educating yourself. Not just what you learn in school but learn more about politics, history, science, and health.

4. Yes working out on the farm sucks so bad but accept it and learn from it. You will be amazed how much it pays off in the future.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

1. You have less true friends than you think you do.[/quote]

Dear God, I just learned this one in great detail.

VALUE those people that truly stick with you through the hard times…and realize that everyone else is nothing more than an “associate”. Keep it that way and life will be way happier.

Tried and true friends do NOT comes in 12 packs.

I wish I knew that it’s not really that bad to be a 19-year-old virgin and that sleeping with some loser bouncer from some shitty bar is not really the best course of action to take to become de-virgizined.

Having shitty marks in high school sucks for trying to get into college!!!

Shoulda seen batman in Imax instead of regular screen!!!

[quote]doogie wrote:
I’d tell myself I was bipolar, get medicated a lot sooner, not blow tons of money on retarded crap while manic.
[/quote]

For the record, I think more people should pay more attention to this one.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Stop eating dude.

[/quote]

Cannibalism, in general, is bad. I would not probably just lay off consuming humans altogether.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Stop eating dude.
[/quote]

LOL.

I was telling myself the exact opposite back then.

I’d point out to 20 year old me that when you tell someone about a dream or ambition you want to pursue, and they list a bunch of reasons why you shouldn’t, what you’re actually hearing are the reasons they wouldn’t do it, and has no bearing on your decision.

In fact I’d tell him to keep his mouth shut and just get on with it.

1. I would’ve told myself to fucking eat and that being <100lbs is not healthy. I can’t help but wonder if I would’ve grown taller than 5’fucking2" if I would’ve just fucking ate when I was 12-17… but no, instead I was worried about being fat. pfft.

2. To not try to fight 200lb+ guys at said <100lbs. It will hurt… badly.

3. To learn to manage my anger better. When I finally started eating/lifting my anger exploded. I ended up beating up somebody very close to me which I regret to this very day. I’ve also said a lot of hurtful things to those I love that I can never take back.

And a whole bunch of crap… including taking advantage of awesome medical and dental insurance before being laid off, etc, etc.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
I’d point out to 20 year old me that when you tell someone about a dream or ambition you want to pursue, and they list a bunch of reasons why you shouldn’t, what you’re actually hearing are the reasons they wouldn’t do it, and has no bearing on your decision.

In fact I’d tell him to keep his mouth shut and just get on with it.[/quote]

This is great. Too bad I already handing out my slow clap of the week.

I would change it to this though,

“what you’re actually hearing are the reasons they Couldn’t do it[/i], and has no bearing on your decision.”