What I Want To Be When I Grow Up!

Nathan, talk to Alan about working out here. (We need someone better than the boss to run the club. LMAO!)

Nate~

You have plenty of people on here that would help you out if you choose to relocate. You know we’d help you with a job, finding a place to live, etc if you moved to Phx. Great place to live, plenty of jobs. Check out career builder.

As for the schmuck that asked if its really that hard to be a personal trainer. Yes, it is. You have to build up a clientelle and most large gyms only pay you $7 - $12 an hour for clients they charge $55-$65 an hour for training. You build up but you’re always required to make quotas on both personal training and supplement sales. It’s a hard road but very rewarding if you can make it work! Not always easy since Americans don’t really like to workout and then to PAY a trainer to workout??? Even harder.

Nate, have you decided if you want to work for yourself or for someone else? That might be a place to start…

And call or PM me, let’s talk…

Nate my main man, I recently had the same revelation you are having, well over the summer when I had my big “shift”. I am basically sick of working in the business world, what I am now focusing on is recreation, I will find work there. People do it, so why the hell can’t I? Either teaching golf, running a fishing boat charter business, hell anything that would allow me to work with people who are there to have fun.

This is what I realized would make ME happy and get me through each day a little easier. I’m not all that concerned about how much money I make, as long as I can get by, and have a little extra cash to do a few things I like then I’ll be happy as a pig in shit.

Our business is being sold eff jan 1st and after that I have to stay on for 2 years for transition purposes, but after that, i’m a free man. If you can sit tight for another 2 years, I could really use a good first mate on my boat when I move out to cali.

V

Hmmm…I may need to look into possibilities in So. Cal and Arizona. If I did that, I’d most likely need to find stuff in my field of study since I’m not trained/certified in other areas of interest. I don’t mind doing PR, as long as it’s for something I believe in and enjoy.

I checked out the Harley Davidson site. They had one position that I can apply for (PR related), but it’s in Wisconsin! If I’m going to move, I really would like to go someplace I would enjoy living…and back up north or some parts of the midwest don’t excite me. I am interested in Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Arizona, possibly Texas, California and even Colorado. I may consider other areas for the right job.

And I really don’t want to do anything nonprofit or community-service based anymore. I’ve spent enough time in the nonprofit world struggling to find money to actually do my job. I like the “feel good” aspect of helping people, but not struggling just as much as the people we are helping. :wink:

And the whole firefighter, police thing would be cool, but you have to get certified first.

I got a call from UPS last night. They wanted me to start today. Unfortunately, it’s only seasonal and there is no guarantee you’ll get hired on afterward. In addition, it’s only part time and pays $8.50 an hour with no benefits. Even though I took a pay cut with my current job, I still make a lot more than $8.50 an hour. So there is no way I could do that and survive. If I could, I would. Because the guy said that I could get promoted to driver within a year. And they start out making $50-60K with full benefits. I should have done this years ago when I could have afforded putting in the time.

Last night I also got a call back from one of the jobs I interviewed for. They hired someone else and just wanted to let me know. And last week, I received a letter stating that another candidate was selected for another job I interviewed for. This sort of shit doesn’t even phase me now. It’s happened so much during the past year that I just expect it after going through the entire process.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
If you can sit tight for another 2 years, I could really use a good first mate on my boat when I move out to cali.

V[/quote]

Now that would be awesome! Enjoyable, working with people who are having fun and making a living. No suits. No 8-5 behind a computer in a cubicle. Outside, enjoying the weather and life.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Vegita wrote:
If you can sit tight for another 2 years, I could really use a good first mate on my boat when I move out to cali.

V

Now that would be awesome! Enjoyable, working with people who are having fun and making a living. No suits. No 8-5 behind a computer in a cubicle. Outside, enjoying the weather and life.
[/quote]

Thats what i’m thinking my man, wake up at the ass crack of dawn, load the boat up with 4-8 dudes, fish, drink beer and bullshit about fucking women and shit all day long. Get done around 3 or 4 or whatever, have the best fucking tan known to man, and then go out and try to get laid. It really can’t be that bad of a life.

V

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
OOOhh, La La, Nate, you MUST check out the Harley Davidson job opps!!! Wowowwee nice of you to suggest HD, Hulkstar!![/quote]

HD is an awesome company to work for. very good benefits, profit sharing, free swag, riding compnay owned bikes…you cant beat it. Im currently in the styling dept. at Buell. right out of school it was rough, not making what i felt i should have been, and 400/month in school loans really hurt, but i’ve gotten 5 raises in 3 years, one being 27%, so i cant complain now… but like Prof X ill be paying loans well after the olsen twins are gone

Perhaps it’s time for you to truely strike out on your own?

Start a business.

A guy I know in South Carolina started a mobile windshield replacing service 2-3 years ago. He is doing very well now.

The business idea doesn’t have to be brand new and complex, you just have to execute it well.

Why tie yourself to a desk, a boss, and a company when you are perfectly capable of doing it your own way and having the sense of freedom every man wants and needs?

Mike

I can hook you up with a job that will get you 13 weeks in South Carolina or San Diego, then some job training and you will end up working overseas. You might even get to go on a ship and see europe, or asia, or perhaps the sunny, beautiful middle east.

You have a bachelors degree, so I can also get you 10 weeks in Quantico, Virginia with another 6 months there, then some job training and some overseas work.
The pay is good, the benefits are good, and chicks dig the uniforms and scars.

Semper Fidelis

[quote]Professor X wrote:
doogie wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Dude, I will be paying back student loans until The Olsen Twins are wearing dentures and leak proof underwear. Some times you deal with what you have.

I always assumed the Army put you through med school. What’s your story, Prof?

A very long one with topless women, many twists and turns and one awesome chase scene.[/quote]

Now you have my attention. I want to hear about the topless women and the chase scene.

[quote]Hot AZ wrote:
As for the schmuck that asked if its really that hard to be a personal trainer. Yes, it is. You have to build up a clientelle and most large gyms only pay you $7 - $12 an hour for clients they charge $55-$65 an hour for training. You build up but you’re always required to make quotas on both personal training and supplement sales. It’s a hard road but very rewarding if you can make it work! Not always easy since Americans don’t really like to workout and then to PAY a trainer to workout??? Even harder.
[/quote]

good to know that i’m a schmuck.

actually, my question related to actually being a personal trainer, not being a good or well paid personal trainer. Nate expressed interest in it, and i speculate that getting in the door is not super difficult.

Ok, so maybe schmuck was a bit rough. But if you read his post, Nate would like to do something he enjoys and would like to make a living at it. That means being good at it and making money. If you’ve read his posts from the past, he talks about how hard his year has been financially as well.

I can only assume that he would like to bring home paychecks bigger that $147 a week… but that’s just my take on it.

“. They had one position that I can apply for (PR related), but it’s in Wisconsin! If I’m going to move, I really would like to go someplace I would enjoy living…and back up north or some parts of the midwest don’t excite me.”

I live in Wisconsin and if you are from Florida you would hate it. Thats why I go to college in Florida. Always go somewhere you already know you will like.

[quote]Specialized wrote:
Perhaps it’s time for you to truely strike out on your own?

Start a business.

A guy I know in South Carolina started a mobile windshield replacing service 2-3 years ago. He is doing very well now.

The business idea doesn’t have to be brand new and complex, you just have to execute it well.

Why tie yourself to a desk, a boss, and a company when you are perfectly capable of doing it your own way and having the sense of freedom every man wants and needs?

Mike[/quote]

The problem with starting his own business is one it can fail and two he will have to take out more loans. So if he is going to do that he might as well go back to school. Plus if you start your own business he will be working like 60-80 hour weeks and he might as well just work full time and go to school.

[quote]HULKSTAR wrote:
chinadoll wrote:
OOOhh, La La, Nate, you MUST check out the Harley Davidson job opps!!! Wowowwee nice of you to suggest HD, Hulkstar!!

HD is an awesome company to work for. very good benefits, profit sharing, free swag, riding compnay owned bikes…you cant beat it. Im currently in the styling dept. at Buell. right out of school it was rough, not making what i felt i should have been, and 400/month in school loans really hurt, but i’ve gotten 5 raises in 3 years, one being 27%, so i cant complain now… but like Prof X ill be paying loans well after the olsen twins are gone

[/quote]
Hulkstar,are projected sales still looking up with the economy the way it is and all of the fad bikers trying to unload their Harleys.Have their been any rumblings of cutbacks and lay offs like the 80s??? Ive been into bikes since the 60s and it just seems like the market is overloaded with people trying to dump their scoots to get out from under what they owe on them.

Hey Nate,

I used to be a volunteer firefighter and EMT. I also used to assist with teaching paramedic classes (I have a math degree and taught formulas, conversions etc.) Anyway, becoming a paramedic would put you well on the way to many of the possible careers you listed.

Many Community colleges offer paramedic courses that take less than a year and can be done at night and on weekends. With a paramedic (or even EMT liscense) many fire departments will hire you because of the EMS background and obvious physical abilities. They will then train you in-house or send you to training often with pay and pay for the class.

I was a volunteer firefighter for 4 years without any certification and the only thing I wasn’t allowed to do on a scene was run the pump panel on the truck.

Good luck brother.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
Vegita wrote:

V

Thats what i’m thinking my man, wake up at the ass crack of dawn, load the boat up with 4-8 dudes, fish, drink beer and bullshit about fucking women and shit all day long. Get done around 3 or 4 or whatever, have the best fucking tan known to man, and then go out and try to get laid. It really can’t be that bad of a life.

V[/quote]

I know a few guys that have been doin that in florida for the last 20-25 yrs.They are both in their 60s and once in a while they catch a few big bails just floatin along…

How about sending your resume to Tim and TC? For the amount of time that you’ve been on this site, you probably have much to offer them about improving Biotest’s business.

And they’re based out of Colorado.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
Vegita wrote:

V

V[/quote]

LOL
Sounds good, however; you are up before the “ass crack of dawn” usually at 4 am to get ready for the first tide, which runs between 430 am and 630 am. Then of course there are several tides in the day. You will be done around 1030pm. No drinking when you are guiding…it’s illegal to drink and drive a boat and will void your insurance with all those people on the boat. Would be nice though…kind of a margarita ville dream.

Cheers.
Michelle

Wow! Really good info guys! Thanks. I truly appreciate all the insight and varied ideas.

I’m still researching all my options. I have sent my resume to Biotest HQ, so maybe I’ll hear something from them soon. In the meantime, I’ve been applying for jobs as I find them and figuring out what my best options will be (move? different career? go back to school? etc.).

I practically need vacation time to browse listings on CareerBuilder and Monster in various cities and states.

I like the idea of getting an EMT/Paramedic certification through the local college on nights/weekends. That could open the door for working with the fire department or the hospital.

Before my dad had cancer, he worked as a Flight Nurse with the local hospital. That job was awesome. Although he was a RN prior to that, they have hired EMT/Paramedics to join the flight team as well. They work a very cool schedule (24 on/72 off) and get to wear those cool jump suits. When they’re not busy, they have free time around the office or to help assist in the ER. So being an EMT/Paramedic could open the door to something like that down the road.

As for personal training, once I get certified, I would enjoy doing that on the side for a while. But I probably couldn’t do that in a commercial gym full-time and make the same amount of money or more. I definitely can’t survive on $150/week. If I could, I would take the UPS job. I make decent money now (still lower than my previous job and what I should be making based on my experience/skills), but I want to make more and do something I enjoy.