T Nation

What HDTV Do You Have?

I should be getting a Panasonic TX 37LZD800 today and I can’t wait! Its gonna be different from the 28CRT its replacing. Cant wait to see how the PS3 looks and Blu Ray of course, my son will also be trying the Xbox 360 (not an elite though). Anybody got the same model?

I have a Memorex. I got it at Target for like $100.

Nate what spec is it? Any good?

I had a hookup from Marantz, and I managed to get their DLP VP-12S3 projector. Use it on a Vutec Screen, with other assorted A/V equipment (mostly Marantz…that hookup was the sht.)

I have a Sony 55" Grand WEGA LCD, it’s the love of my life.

Samsung 42" DLP.

Anyone here have a 1080p set? I am curious if you think they are worth the high price tag, opposed to 720p sets.

[quote]Applesauce wrote:
Samsung 42" DLP.

Anyone here have a 1080p set? I am curious if you think they are worth the high price tag, opposed to 720p sets.[/quote]

Do you have Blu-Ray? Otherwise, probably not worth it…yet.

Two Sony Bravia V series. A forty six and forty two inch. I don’t even feel the need to go to the movies any longer. They are the 1080 and I compared side by side when purchasing and noticed a difference.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Two Sony Bravia V series. A forty six and forty two inch. I don’t even feel the need to go to the movies any longer. They are the 1080 and I compared side by side when purchasing and noticed a difference.

D

[/quote]

I got a 40" V series - it’s excellent. Also saw a nice difference in be Bravia’s when compared side by side with the likes of Samsung, Thoshiba, etc.

And as for 1080p, I thought it was a good way to “future proof” the technology as much as I could.

Mits 57" DLP 1080p …Compared to what they cost when I bought mine they are dirt cheap now. Looks absolutely amazing with PS3 and 360…Bigger tv for less money, only downfall is you change a 200 dollar bulb every 3 years and you can’t hang it on a wall.

My Sony XBR is a beast. Very clear pic, still waiting for prices to drop for Blu Ray. Also want more movies to come out on Blu Ray.

I have the LN40a650 Samsung 1080p LCD. Just incredible picture. I helped my friend purchase a 50" plasma about 2 years ago. He claims my tv has better black levels, even though its an LCD.

1080p

Pros: Highest definition possible. Works great with DVI to HDMI cable from computer to tv. Not worth having 720p if you intend to use it with a computer. I get 1080i & 720p over digital tv (btw, this tv gets digital w/o having to pay for it) and both look great, although I think 1080i has a slight edge.

Cons: makes 480i look like crap. My Wii during the loading screens looks like a high resolution background @ 8bit (check out your screen setting and change it to 8 bit from 32 bit, you’ll see what i mean). 720p isn’t as bad w/ this.

You can get the tv for about $1500 @ amazon. I wouldn’t even dream of buying another tv.

Oh, rsg, I got bioshock running on my tv. WOW, it looks amazing at 1080p. I think it looked slightly better @ 1920x1200, but its not fair to compare a 24" monitor to a 40" tv. Just great looking though. FPS are awesome with this tv.

I wouldn’t get 720p unless its a small tv. 1080p is just a better option and is worth the money.

[quote]Applesauce wrote:
Samsung 42" DLP.

Anyone here have a 1080p set? I am curious if you think they are worth the high price tag, opposed to 720p sets.[/quote]

Everything I have read says you can’t tell the difference between 1080 and 720 past 6 feet from the TV. I went with the Panasonic 50" plasma 720 TH-50PX75U, bought 2 months ago at Best Buy for $1196 out the door (felt like I was stealing the thing). Brand new TV, they matched the price of www.thenewconnection.com. Also check frys.com and newegg.com for comparison prices

1080p panasonic plasma. Amazing TV.
1080i panasonic plasma and 40 inch samsung lcd. All are great tvs for their given applications.

I think 1080p is worth it as I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Also futureproofing is never a bad idea.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
Oh, rsg, I got bioshock running on my tv. WOW, it looks amazing at 1080p. I think it looked slightly better @ 1920x1200, but its not fair to compare a 24" monitor to a 40" tv. Just great looking though. FPS are awesome with this tv.
[/quote]

Cool news! I may look to doing this in that case, one day.

[quote]74 wrote:
Applesauce wrote:
Samsung 42" DLP.

Anyone here have a 1080p set? I am curious if you think they are worth the high price tag, opposed to 720p sets.

Everything I have read says you can’t tell the difference between 1080 and 720 past 6 feet from the TV. [/quote]

I read that all the time, but the display units at best buy, which are usually 40" Samsungs and Sony XBR’s look stunning when I am standing in front of them. It looks like the prices are steadily dropping on them so I may end up getting one in a few months anyways.

[quote]Applesauce wrote:
74 wrote:
Applesauce wrote:
Samsung 42" DLP.

Anyone here have a 1080p set? I am curious if you think they are worth the high price tag, opposed to 720p sets.

Everything I have read says you can’t tell the difference between 1080 and 720 past 6 feet from the TV.

I read that all the time, but the display units at best buy, which are usually 40" Samsungs and Sony XBR’s look stunning when I am standing in front of them. It looks like the prices are steadily dropping on them so I may end up getting one in a few months anyways.
[/quote]

I went with the info I got from Consumer Reports and numerous techie sites. Couldn’t justify spending almost double for the 50" 1080p as I have a 15x25 great room where the TV is displayed. So I am at least 10 feet from the screen.

Toshiba 65" HDTV.

Remember it’s not the size of the tv, its the size of the arm that is holding onto the remote…

[quote]BiG BeN wrote:
Toshiba 65" HDTV.

Remember it’s not the size of the tv, its the size of the arm that is holding onto the remote…[/quote]

So… no money left to replace that 70s paneling, huh?

[quote]nephorm wrote:
BiG BeN wrote:
Toshiba 65" HDTV.

Remember it’s not the size of the tv, its the size of the arm that is holding onto the remote…

So… no money left to replace that 70s paneling, huh?[/quote]

You’re still pimping a black and white screen then?