T Nation

What has lifting done for you?

Think back to the time when you hadn’t even touched a weight in your life. Now contrast that with the person you are today. How has lifting weights changed you as a person, how has it changed your life? What positive things has brought? Personally, the primary thing it’s given me is confidence. Building a leaner, more muscular body has simply brought me greatly increased confidence. Confidence in myself with the opposite sex (I’m getting more action [evil grin] ), confidence in my ability to do my job, and confidence to take on challenges that may at first seem to difficult, but know I can achieve them. I now hand the podium over to the T-Folk…

Great topic. I started lifting after losing about 60 pounds. I got down to 159 and realized that being skinny and puny was just as bad as being fat. This was also my first year as a high school teacher. (Being 21 and teaching classes full of 18 year old hotties tends to get ones ass into the gym.) That was about 10 years ago. Since then my bodyfat has dropped and my weight has gone up to about 210. (I fluctuate between 200 and 220 depending on how I’m dieting.) All those years of experimentation and research paid off as I joined the T-mag team back around issue #59. Not long after, I quit teaching and went full time with the mag.

So I guess you could say the whole direction of my life changed because one day I decided to lift weights and watch my diet.

Mark: You hit it on the head…confidence…

Good topic indeed, I was 18 years old, 6’1" and 140lbs, and needless to say I got a lot of “damn you’re skinny”. People will try not to point out someone’s obesity, but they will bust out without a thought with remarks about “pipe cleaner arms” a “sunken chest”. I had known muscular guys but the gym and bodybuilder’s lifestyle was so foreign to me I had no clue and figured I was doomed to be laughed at for life. I remember daydreaming about walking into a room and demanding respect for a muscular physique but believing it would never be. And then my first workout partner moved into my Air Force dorm. He scoffed at my “I don’t know what to do in a gym” and drug me along. (Thank you Joe Baker) I now weigh 220lbs, and I am pretty lean. What does that longwinded story have to do with this thread? I know I can do anything now. What was once only in my wildest dreams was made to be, by my own drive and determination, and that applies to anything and everything now.

For me,the #1 is confidence.

Besides discipline, patience, and a sense of accomplishment, the biggest reward weight training gives me is stability. It’s my little dose of daily therapy that keeps me centered and sane. Whatever else is going on in my life, I can always count on my personal time in the gym going the way I want it to. Without it I’m sure I’d go crazy, or at least be a lot less happy.

Everyones right with the confidence line. It may sounds like bull, but it has changed everything for me, especially alot of the work on Tmag. I had someone managed to get myself in state where i was 230lbs and fat, hooked on ephedrine to be able to work the hours I have to work(about70/week) and generally a mess. I had been brainwashed by my company and other people that i would never do any better than my lot, and should stay with the job. Fast forward to now and I am ripped to the tits, have no confidence problems, can talk to anyone and unlike the self centred money oriented person i had become, am now actually back to the nice guy i was before - and like the guy in an atomic dog way back am packing in my job (Stocks & shares trading) and will be surprising my boss in about 2 weeks when I go to university to study nutrition and physiology! In a nutshell lifting weights and the whole lifestyle has changed my life - For me I feel there really isnt anything i cant do now. At the end of the day so many people just drift along, never making the most of their lives just like i was. Even though Im fairly young, I cant wait for the future now - after all, most of us here love lifting and other forms of exercise and the way i see it normals boring, so why be normal?

I love feeling strong and powerful! In the 7th grade I didn’t have the strength to serve a volleyball over the net. Now I’m a competitive(masters)powerlifter.

i started lifting as a teenager to get girls. I was short, 5’7", and only went about 130 at sixteen. As I built up, I gained stregnth, and started powerlifting in college. I won a few titles and enjoyed myself.
This lead to my career as a chiropractor. The average MD didn’t give me a lot of satisfaction with training problems, but the chiropractor always did. I’ve gained confidence, strtength in body and mind, and got the girls. I’ve had the pleasure of working with and learning from great people such as Dave Tate, Paul Chek, Vladimar Janda, and the man i have the most respect for other than dad, Dr. Mike Leahy. He is a true gentleman, an ex fighter pilot, and did the Lance Armstrong thing before Lance did. it’s great when a hobby gives a great wonderful life. Thanks to all the guys who spent time to show me the way.

Sometimes I think that weight training has hurt how I look at myself. Like, other girls will say stuff to me like “You’re waist is so small”, “I wish I was a size 4, too”, etc, and that does nothing for me, since my delts and biceps SUCK! Maybe I’ve just become more sensative to my body, and I guess it gives me something to do. Also, I used to like to drink and use recreational drugs, and I have since stopped doing those activities (for the most part:), which is of course positive. Even though my mom doesn’t know this, she would much rather have a daughter using Primobolan than cocaine or E. :slight_smile:

Good topic.

I agree with Zav wholeheartedly. Dicipline is a big thing, setting goals and achieving them is a big part of lifting and increases confidence in ones abilities. It has also made me aware of the technical aspects of other physical pursuits… most people can’t comprehend that there is anything more to lifting than simply “picking up and dropping a weight” - and I guess I didnt realise the full complexity of it until I started myself. It made me realise how much there is to training of elite athletes in other fields.

It has also seemed to give structure to my lifestyle, it requires organisation (balancing food prep/workouts/ recovery/sleep/other recreation activities) which has spread to other areas of my life.

Aesthetics, and the practical aspect of being stronger and fitter in everyday life is also good too, huh? :slight_smile:

Jared_s

Lifting weights has allowed me to maintain my sanity and not “burnout”. I have a very high stress job and haven’t taken a vacation in years, I’ve always moved from one contract to another. Working out allows me to eliminate stress and keep my focus. Likewise, the ego boost I get when a woman feels obligated to touch my arm or chest is certainly a plus:).

It has changed me, I used to be really lazy and non-goal orientated, not to mention smoke pot and drink a lot. Now, I am a lot more goal orientated and motivated to work for what I want. I just quit drinking a month ago (almost completely) and haven’t touched weed in like a year. I think T-Mag has done lot to keep me motivated. You guys got me into power lifting and now I’m almost sure the football coach is going to let me try out (I haven’t played ever and I am coming out late).

Confidence, discipline, stress-relief, long-range planning (although I already had a lot of that from chess), health, oohs and ahhs from women, the ability to believe in yourself (when I started, NO ONE in the general population was lifting weights, and they all told me I was wrong … Well, guess what, everyone? YOU WERE WRONG!!! Ha ha ha ha!), knowledge, perserverance… The list goes on and on. It’s a good thread, but I don’t think I can really begin to gauge the impact bodybuilding has had on me. I’d be a completely different (and poorer) person without it.

Lifting has gotten me bigger stonger muscles and has me in better shape. If you get your confidence from your muscles, what will you do when you get injured or your ass kicked? Confidence should come from your mind.

what has it done for me: more organized, think twice about beer, pick up luggage, open pickle jars, relax and sleep more, when i see hot bitches, think yea they probably want me.

Can’t really say that the lifting (and the accompanying physical changes) boosted my confidence, as I embarked on a rigorous (and ongoing) self-improvement reading campaign at the same time. I do have more confidence now, but it’s not just physical confidence. I had that when I weighed 150 bike racing. I think that the physical confidence comes from accomplishing something that 99.9% of the population would fear to attempt. I’m definitely more versed in supplementation and have a better long-range view to training. Sorry if I’m resurrecting a thread that you all though (or hoped) was dead. I’m off the forum on the weekends.

i think the question is what hasn’t it done for me…more confidence, more attratctive to the opposite sex, and i’ve also gotten into personal training all because i started lifting weights…i’ll lift till the day i die…life’s too short to be small

Lifting has done a lot for me and now i can’t imagine my life without it. As a freshman in H.S. i needed direction to set myself apart from others in the school. I was weak and small (140lbs.)made fun of a lot for lifting.(i also need a lot strength for wrestling) But now as a senoir in H.S. i wieght 190 with 8% bf and i am one of the strongest kids in my school, and now no one makes fun of me. The people that once made fun of me r now asking me to train them.

I wasn’t going to respond to this topic
because the only response I can honestly give
is heavy, and is going to sound like corny
“feel good” BS. But, WTF - it’s true. I
have benefited and changed in many ways as a
result of lifting. And I could list and ramble
on about all of them. But one thing stands out
above the rest: Personal strength. As in
psychological strength. That personal strength
has allowed me to achieve a degree of success
in life that I probably otherwise wouldn’t
have. But more importantly, it allowed me