What Happened to Your High School Friends?

Just got my diploma today. The entire graduation ceremony seems almost overdone (especially with 400 kids). I mean, it’s high school; most people graduate. So far I’m making better friends with some of my classmates. Oh, 18 years old.

[quote]biglifter wrote:
I’m not aware of any that can currently deadlift more than me. I win.[/quote]

good point, i like it.

I’m 23. The ones that I still see and talk to are doing well, went to college and are working on careers.

The ones that I stopped seeing around the time high school ended, well thats a different story.

-Two of them got an apartment together. Last I heard they were in jail for kicking in a pregnant woman’s door and robbing her.

-One got into heroin.

-Saw two others while I was working (I’m working in a large retail warehouse to put myself through grad school). My manager was following them because they were trying to steal a power strip or something. They asked me to open the back door at let them out with it (lol, yeah right)

-A bunch got DWI’s

1- dropped out of college to work at Cumberland farms and moved in with her first boyfriend ever within 2 months of dating.
2- messed up admission process and works as a dishwasher atm but excited for college in september
3- (2’s gf) decided since 2 isn’t going to college she doesn’t have to. She stays home (parents house) all day and plays on her computer…never has had a job.
4- goes to same college as me and works a ton so i never see him.

I moved countries, so lost touch with many. Pretty much the primary reason for me having a Facebook account, I still speak to a good amount of school friends. The closest ones though:

One worked in hotels, finished a hospitality degree and now works as a car rental rep because his degree sucked. He also just got married.

My closest friend worked as a graphic designer in print straight out of school, had a promising future, but commited suicide late last year.

Other good friend moved abroad, returned to SA upon his brothers death and took over his business. He’s doing very well in all aspects of life.

Life-long friend became a dentist and is currently practicing, good future ahead for him. I’ve known him since I was 4.

Most are working shitty jobs, getting married and having kids - and they’re only in their mid 20’s.

I’m 47, so the one’s that aren’t dead are doing pretty well.

I’m still friends with only two of the people I graduated with.
Most who were my friends in high school are now working dead end jobs and partying all the time. Whatever makes you happy I guess. Some are going to various schools and are doing pretty well.

Of the two I’m still friends with, one is working 50 hours a week for the family business which he’ll likely take over some day. It’s a pretty sweet setup.
The other is going to school with me at the U of M, working toward Pharmacy school. She was a valedictorian in high school, and not much has changed. She’s one of the most intelligent people I know.

I’m aware that many of the people I went to high school with who were the “popular” kids still think they’re hot shit. Which is probably why I don’t talk to any of them.

But in the end, none of it really matters to me any ways. I hated my high school and most of the people in it!

I only still know 4 guys from high school.

1 went Army a few months ago to provide a better life for him and his wife.

1 is in a similar situation as me - got a degree in architecture, worked a few internships in the States, then spent a few years in Germany and Slovenia. Just came back last month and is trying to adjust and find work here in the States.

1 is still an undergrad going in his like 6th year and he works as a police dispatch.

1 moved back to Canada (where he’s a citizen) and tried college but didn’t like it. Worked construction, is currently driving a semi, and is looking at going to a trade school for wind power engineering of some sort. He’s actually visiting his brother down here in Orlando this week. His brother who is a few years older moved out to California for a while, tried to go military only to get medically discharged and found out he’s colorblind.

Now he’s attending the Paul Mitchell School to become a male hair stylist. This guy was a wannabe neo-nazi when we were in school and still hangs out at punk rock shows and does more drugs than anyone I’ve ever met. The day I got back into the country he ODed (obviously didn’t die though)

I’m 30 and this is small town USA, so yea, I hang pretty regularly with probably 5 guys, and see another 20-30 or so on a monthly or bi-monthly basis at the tavern or pub or at a party or just out somewhere.

They run the gambit but almost no one is UBER successful on an economic level, but probably 95% have a job that gets them through the monthly bills with enough left over to enjoy life.

Quite a few marriages, some kids, but all in all, we still do relatively the smae things, just on a less frequent basis. Few bigger parties each summer, some smaller house parties revolving around a UFC fight or the Superbowl, etc… Some smaller house parties outside with a campfire. I mean just the normal hanging out stuff people do. Drink beer, enjoy nice weather, eat grilled animal flesh.

V

[quote]Enders Drift wrote:
become a male hair stylist. This guy was a wannabe neo-nazi[/quote]

How the fuck did that happen?

Shit, I wish I would have gone to an American High School. My friends are: internationally published profs, or at least PhDs, internationally published Fashion-Photogs or Directors, or Cameramen, a couple MDs and Lawyers and other successes. It’s depressing beyond belief.

I, on the other hand, had some kinda melt down right before my Masters and, due to lots of bad luck and weird circumstances, am starting at Community College level again. Anyone familiar with the sitcom “Community,” that’s my life- I should sue them for royalties.

I graduated 10 years ago and the only people I still talk to are my kid’s mom, my wife, and her sisters. I only had two good friends in high school anyway, but one moved to California after college and I had a major falling out with the other. That’s life.

[quote]Rasslore wrote:
They are all on facebook trying to find me. Jokes on them, I don’t have an FB page.[/quote]

I lol’d.

I don’t really talk to anyone from highschool except 1 friend who I basically grew up with (he lived across the street).

From news I’ve heard over the last 13 years though it’s pretty all much over the board. A few friends have died, a few got married, had kids and maybe did some college…I know one girl in my class who went on to become a t.v. anchor in Houston and another went to work for NASA as an engineer, etc. I knew a a lot of people who ended up in jail for stints following highschool.

So yeah, for the most part that was a whole different life and those people and I parted. I’ve never really felt the need to reconnect with any of them, though I will ocassionally run into someone inside a store or something since I still live in the area.

[quote]blacklicht wrote:
Shit, I wish I would have gone to an American High School. My friends are: internationally published profs, or at least PhDs, internationally published Fashion-Photogs or Directors, or Cameramen, a couple MDs and Lawyers and other successes. It’s depressing beyond belief.

I, on the other hand, had some kinda melt down right before my Masters and, due to lots of bad luck and weird circumstances, am starting at Community College level again. Anyone familiar with the sitcom “Community,” that’s my life- I should sue them for royalties.[/quote]

Where did you go to school to?

Abed FTW

[quote]WombRaider wrote:
No one still hangs out with their high school friends?? Then again its only been 8 years. One of my bestfriends is singing for the band August Burns Red and the other plays in Evergreen Terrace. I still feel like someone should have hit me for picking an education over music.[/quote]

All I got out of your post is that you have 2 friends in obscure bands that I’ve never heard, yet you somehow think everyone is impressed by you saying that they are in them and picking music is universally better than pursuing an education…congrats at being a member of this site for 2 weeks and achieving a level of “douche” so quickly

Quit being so pretentious and assuming, it doesn’t fit well with this crowd … you can be pretentious and assuming when you’ve accomplished something…

PS - Brody Jenner gargles balls like listernine … once in the morning and once before bed

Did you put it in her bum?

[quote]Im_New_Feed_Me wrote:

Did you put it in her bum?[/quote]
No, but I did try hitting her. And squats and milk. Still can’t figure out what the problem was though.

[quote]blacklicht wrote:

I, on the other hand, had some kinda melt down right before my Masters and, due to lots of bad luck and weird circumstances, am starting at Community College level again. Anyone familiar with the sitcom “Community,” that’s my life- I should sue them for royalties.[/quote]
“I wish I had gone to an American school, so everybody I know would be unsuccessful.” Low dude.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:

[quote]blacklicht wrote:

“I wish I had gone to an American school, so everybody I know would be unsuccessful.” Low dude.[/quote]

Could have been a Canadian institution, so everyone you know could be a drunk and semi-successful.