T Nation

What Happened to the Livespills?

What happened to the livespills that used to be under the articles?

All major media outlets and content providers (such as CNN and others) are removing the comments section under the articles or are in the process of doing so.

We are following suit and encourage readers to use our forums, <a href="https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTestosteroneNation"target=“new”>Facebook or <a href="https://twitter.com/T_Nation"target=“new”>Twitter for comments.

Removing comments also helps us for some technical reasons (mobile, Google analytics etc.) Most authors and coaches already use social media to answer questions. It’s the preferred medium these days and comments sections are fading fast from all the important sites. Christian Thibaudeau was on our Facebook page yesterday for example. And a few authors have dedicated forums here on T Nation (Wendler, Amit Sapir, Thibaudeau.) If not, feel free to start a thread in the appropriate section of our forum.

Not sure if you’ve thought of implementing this or not, but iIf that’s the course of action, then I would suggest a forum dedicated to article discussion.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Not sure if you’ve thought of implementing this or not, but iIf that’s the course of action, then I would suggest a forum dedicated to article discussion.[/quote]

There use to be one if memory serves.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Not sure if you’ve thought of implementing this or not, but iIf that’s the course of action, then I would suggest a forum dedicated to article discussion.[/quote]

X2

Can’t imagine this not being the case with the elimination of the Livespills.

I’m sure I’m the fringe but I have absolutely nothing to do with any social media sites and would never begin to do so in order to discuss T-Nation articles.[/quote]

Yup. no social media for me. I hate Facebook.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

We did that before. No one used it.

I think I know one way we could figure this out. Give it a try?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
I think I know one way we could figure this out. Give it a try?[/quote]

I doubt they’re gonna spend the money on something that didn’t gain traction in the past. I can’t say I blame them. This place ain’t free…

On another note, I think it’s kind of discouraging that news outlets are essentially blunting discussion, unless they’re providing a dedicated discussion board.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
On another note, I think it’s kind of discouraging that news outlets are essentially blunting discussion, unless they’re providing a dedicated discussion board.[/quote]

I donno man, have you ever read through the comments section of a news story? I’m not sure I’d call it “discussion” tbh.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
On another note, I think it’s kind of discouraging that news outlets are essentially blunting discussion, unless they’re providing a dedicated discussion board.[/quote]

A lot of that trend (not necessarily in T-Nation’s case)was because of internet troll-isms that turn into bad press. They (news outlets) needed a full time monitor to keep thing civil and it just didn’t make sense financially. At the same time, they have these other social media channels, Twitter, FB, etc., that always seem under used, so the hope is to drive traffic to them, get “liked,” engage the readers and most of those channels have some sort of monitoring, so it becomes a double win. “We’re winning social media, and not getting bad press!”

I sat through a few meetings about this in my time, (as a recruiter often as an ancillary to marketing) a bunch of old(er) exec’s trying to bottle social media engagement but at the same time never let their branding be victim to some 12 yea old in a bad mood. The punch line is for the most these captains of industry don’t understand the basics of social media, they only know it’s col, and they should be on it.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

News outlets restricted comments because too many people were calling them on lies/posting omitted facts. They used the occasional troll as justification. Reality is they could not allow facts to get in the way of their agenda/message.

I don’t see either problem as concerning here.

The comments section/Livespills were one of the best parts of this site, it’s a shame to see them go. Quality info was to be had there.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

I donno man, have you ever read through the comments section of a news story? I’m not sure I’d call it “discussion” tbh. [/quote]
example: bleacher report.

then again, I hesitate to even call them ‘news’ with some of the writers they have…

[quote]KvonBabbage wrote:
The comments section/Livespills were one of the best parts of this site, it’s a shame to see them go. Quality info was to be had there. [/quote]

The quality info was impossible to find if you weren’t following the Livespill. In the good ol’ days, when we had article discussion, the info was easily found using the search function.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Livespill show up on a T Nation search result…

I’m with pushharder and usmccds on this one - I don’t have anything to do with any social media sites and I’m not going to start now. I would typically skim the article discussions each day and often would find bits worth reading. I’ll miss that but I’ll still read the articles each day. Still the only training site I check out daily and still the best around in my opinion. No way am I logging on to Facebook or anything like that to follow up on the discussions though.

Good point Pangloss