What Happened to Kevin Levrone

[quote]roybot wrote:
That definitely seems to be the case at the moment, but I’ve got a nagging feeling that there will be something of a renaissance in the next few years…hopefully,

[/quote]

I sure as hell hope so. I’m tired of heroes who look like they could fly away in a light breeze. Unless it’s because they have massive lats, that is :wink:

Nah seriously, we need to do away with all this hurray-for-mediocrity bs.

Too bad all the comic book movies are coming out now, before this renaissance =[

Everything goes through trends - We’ve got so many borderline ladyboys in Hollywood at the moment that I think the tide is about to turn and go ‘old school’.

I mean, fashion at the moment has taken it’s lead from '80s clothing. Music has been similarly inspired by '80s music.
It’s only a matter of time before Hollywood jumps on the bandwagon and goes '80s.

And you know what that means: Schwarzenegger Stallone, Weathers, Ventura. Yay!

[quote]red04 wrote:
Too bad all the comic book movies are coming out now, before this renaissance =[[/quote]

The problem is that Hollywood is putting too much stock in having to get ‘name actors’ to sell comic book movies.

I think it is partly to do with the fact that they insist on bringing in critically acclaimed actors (Bale, Robert Downey jr and Ed Norton are exceptions, because they were physically ‘right’ for their roles).

However, whenever somebody starts to talk about the heavier muscled heroes like Captain America and Thor, they automatically start casting wrestlers. Nobody in the mainstream seems to be thinking outside the box.

The world is a massive place: I think that it is very narrow-minded to assume that big muscles are the hallmark of a bad actor. I’m positive that there are plenty of unknown bodybuilders/ aspiring actors out there who could hold their own against Downey Jr and Ed Norton.

Comic book properties are now popular enough that they should be able to sell themselves, without needing big name actors to ensure their success…

There is definitely a growing emphasis on ‘old school heroes’. For example, there is a reboot of the Conan franchise in the works.
I don’t believe that Hollywood is going to be able to get away with casting a known actor, and then ‘bulking’ them up for the role.

Arnie’s legacy is too great. I don’t believe that even the average Joe is going to settle for that, because of what Conan represents…

For that reason alone, I think that a path will be opened for actors with bodybuilder level physiques…

[quote]roybot wrote:
Everything goes through trends - We’ve got so many borderline ladyboys in Hollywood at the moment that I think the tide is about to turn and go ‘old school’.

I mean, fashion at the moment has taken it’s lead from '80s clothing. Music has been similarly inspired by '80s music.
It’s only a matter of time before Hollywood jumps on the bandwagon and goes '80s.

[/quote]

I fucking hope so. 80’s action was one of the few things the 80’s managed to get right. We need some real intense motherfuckers back, blowing up choppers and shit again. Rambo IV was the closest thing we’ve had since… (and I might I add that movie was brutal as hell.)

Instead, we are blessed with the ever-so talented Jason Stathem.

Fuck.

[quote]SSC wrote:
roybot wrote:

I fucking hope so. 80’s action was one of the few things the 80’s managed to get right. We need some real intense motherfuckers back, blowing up choppers and shit again. Rambo IV was the closest thing we’ve had since… (and I might I add that movie was brutal as hell.)

Fuck.[/quote]

People bitch and complain though when they try to release an all shoot all explosion no talk movie. Look at the way people are acting about the new Punisher movie.

People are stuck up now when it comes to movies. That B-movie The Marine would have actually been right at home in the theater if this were 1985. Instead, today, people act like it should have never been made in the first place.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
SSC wrote:
roybot wrote:

Fuck.

People bitch and complain though when they try to release an all shoot all explosion no talk movie. Look at the way people are acting about the new Punisher movie.

People are stuck up now when it comes to movies. That B-movie The Marine would have actually been right at home in the theater if this were 1985. Instead, today, people act like it should have never been made in the first place.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the people that moan about these movies are the same ones who suffer from CGI induced ADD and love to watch High School Musical on a continuous loop (In fifty years, we’ll be treated to ‘Retirement Home Musical’).

It’s going to take something like Conan - comercially viable, but forcing the average moviegoer to admit that a well built leading man is acceptable - to shake things up.

I also think the downturn in these type of movies is due to the fact that people no longer view big movies as a form of escapism.
I know when I was a kid, I used to look up to the likes of Stallone and Schwarzenegger.
They were a real life version of a comic book superhero.

Sure, I wanted to be like them, but there was also that larger than life aspect that added to the whole experience.

Nowadays, kids look at weeds like Zach Efron and only want to emulate them because they are celebrities: they crave the fame, fortune and adulation, but there is no inspiration there other than that. All they get are bland personalities and mediocre physiques.

There is nothing to aspire to, and no sense of wonder anymore.

P.S The latest Rambo movie was awesome IMO - and very well received (at least by the critics). Might be a sign of things to come…

after seeing this again it just made me think, maybe the whole genetic shit isnt all its cracked up to be. he looks like a normal guy right there, he’s still bigger than the average person but he isnt what youd expect him to be i guess.

KL, NEVER, even when he placed top 3 year after year, NEVER carried weight all year round (ok, maybe one or two off seasons he carried extra weight & bulked up).

He was the lightest pro going round, while guys like Nasser, a young cutler and the like where cutting down from 300+ to get on stage, KL was always the oppositre building up to his stage weight, he was like 90 kg’s off season, but stepped on stage at 110kg+.

Check his stats on wiki if you don’t have old mags to look at. His shoots were always around show time, cause it was the only time he was big enough for the shoots.

He is a genetric freak more so then the rest, as he is the only pro to consistantly gain weight for a show.

Sorry for the rant,
JC.

oh…

And the video was pretty f!@#en funny.

Haha cool vid. Incredible though. I wonder what it is like for him to walk around in that skin… it’s like trading in your Ferrari for a Mondeo.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
after seeing this again it just made me think, maybe the whole genetic shit isnt all its cracked up to be. he looks like a normal guy right there, he’s still bigger than the average person but he isnt what youd expect him to be i guess.[/quote]

Oh well, genetics do matter a lot at the pro stage (round muscle-bellies, or look at Levrone’s tricep attachments etc).

Just about any of us normal people can get huge (ok that’s a dangerous statement, I’m just saying that our genetics won’t prevent us from getting there. For Pro size, you’d need a little bit of assistance to get to the strength/size levels of a heavy or superheavy at average height… But it’s possible to get very big nontheless).

The problem comes with those muscle-bellies for example. Look at Rühl’s shoulders. They’ve had that shape (but obviously not the size) pretty much from the start (meaning: after 1-2 years of proper training and making serious strength gains).

I don’t see anyone on this forum with that kind of delt-shape.
We have a few (very few it seems) guys who sport shoulders which look like those of a bodybuilder… But none of them comes close to Rühl or even the more normal-shouldered pro’s.

Or if I look at people’s arms here… Dante made a post or two about that on here in one of the T-Cell threads ("motivation from Dante by ScottM).

You can have arms of 20-22 inches (at average height) or whatever (like maybe 3 posters here if I’m not mistaken, not counting very tall guys), the Pro’s have that(or more) and much better shape, more sweep in their triceps, better peaks, etc (even though there are a bunch with crappy arms, see King Kamali who has probably some of the worst ever seen… Doesn’t win all that much either :wink:

After a few years of bb training you will know if you have a chance at turning pro…

A while back it would have been possible for fairly normal people to compete at the top, provided that they had their heads on straight and knew what it took (even if they would not necessarily win… Though Yates managed) . Today, look at the bloody lineup of super-aesthetic and massive guys who dominate the O… Minus Cutler, who’s “just” massive…
You have Heath, Dex, Freeman and a slew of others… Or guys like Lockett and Curry and a slew of NPC etc bodybuilders.

Mere mortals don’t look like that dieted down, even when weighing the same (or more!).

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
after seeing this again it just made me think, maybe the whole genetic shit isnt all its cracked up to be. he looks like a normal guy right there, he’s still bigger than the average person but he isnt what youd expect him to be i guess.

Oh well, genetics do matter a lot at the pro stage (round muscle-bellies, or look at Levrone’s tricep attachments etc).
Just about any of us normal people can get huge (ok that’s a dangerous statement, I’m just saying that our genetics won’t prevent us from getting there. For Pro size, you’d need a little bit of assistance to get to the strength/size levels of a heavy or superheavy at average height… But it’s possible to get very big nontheless).

The problem comes with those muscle-bellies for example. Look at Rühl’s shoulders. They’ve had that shape (but obviously not the size) pretty much from the start (meaning: after 1-2 years of proper training and making serious strength gains).

I don’t see anyone on this forum with that kind of delt-shape.
We have a few (very few it seems) guys who sport shoulders which look like those of a bodybuilder… But none of them comes close to Rühl or even the more normal-shouldered pro’s.

Or if I look at people’s arms here… Dante made a post or two about that on here in one of the t-cell threads ("motivation from Dante by ScottM).

You can have arms of 20-22 inches (at average height) or whatever (like maybe 3 posters here if I’m not mistaken, not counting very tall guys), the Pro’s have that and much better shape, more sweep in their triceps, better peaks, etc (even though there are a bunch with crappy arms, see King Kamali who has probably some of the worst ever seen… Doesn’t win all that much either :wink:

After a few years of bb training you will know if you have a chance at turning pro…

A while back it would have been possible for fairly normal people to compete at the top, provided that they had their heads on straight and knew what it took (even if they would not necessarily win… Though Yates managed) . Today, look at the bloody lineup of super-aesthetic and massive guys who dominate the O… Minus Cutler, who’s “just” massive…
You have Heath, Dex, Freeman and a slew of others… Or guys like Lockett and Curry and a slew of NPC etc bodybuilders.

Mere mortals don’t look like that dieted down, even when weighing the same (or more!).

[/quote]

i suppose getting to the top of the O is one thing. but then again so long as you build enough size you can still land shoots, promotions/endorsements, etc. i dont think every guy in a Flex mag is an Arnold winner.

i suppose getting to the top of the O is one thing. but then again so long as you build enough size you can still land shoots, promotions/endorsements, etc. i dont think every guy in a Flex mag is an Arnold winner.[/quote]

Sure man, I’m just saying.

Though some of the most popular bodybuilders around are guys who’ve never won much… But did lots of shoots, guest posing, interviews, etcetc.

[quote]SSC wrote:
roybot wrote:

Fuck.[/quote]

How was the newer Rambo brutal as hell? It was way better than Rambo III. It was just crazy action, a pure testosterone fueled movie if you ask me. Also, Jason Statham is awesome. He may not be huge, but I like the guy as an actor and I like the movies that he’s in. But he also doesn’t play huge guy roles, liek I’d never expect him to play as the Terminator. But as a quick hitman sort of guy, he’s perfect.

Too bad Dwyane Johnson skimped out on action movies, and went all Disney on our asses. Walking Tall was badass.

after seeing this again it just made me think, maybe the whole genetic shit isnt all its cracked up to be. he looks like a normal guy right there, he’s still bigger than the average person but he isnt what youd expect him to be i guess.[/quote]

When I am talking about genetics and pro bodybuilders i take that as how they respond to drugs. Plenty of pros were very scrawny to begin with. Ever see early pics of Ferigno? Some people resond to juice better then others.

I have known several people who juiced and still didn’t look good and then others who looked just as you would expect… awesome. You ever see that new documentary bigger, stronger, faster? Two of the three brothers are juicers.

One of them looks pretty good but not incredibly impressive given that you know he is on the sauce. The second brother was a dud wrestler back in the WWF back in the day. His body is just garbage juice or no juice.

You can have “great insertion points” but if you don’t respond well to the drugs you are not going to be a pro contender. You need both. You don’t need “good genetics” in a natural lifting sense.

You need good genetics in terms of roids working better on you and the average person. A lot better. A lot has been said that Lee Priest doesn’t even take that high a dose. It just works really really well on him.

This is just my little rant on what i consider “good genetics” in bodybuidling. Does it matter if Levrone looks like that natural and out of shape if he takes a little sauce and 6 weeks later he looks better then anyone who has ever posted to this forum?

[quote]DJS wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

When I am talking about genetics and pro bodybuilders i take that as how they respond to drugs. Plenty of pros were very scrawny to begin with. Ever see early pics of Ferigno? Some people resond to juice better then others.

I have known several people who juiced and still didn’t look good and then others who looked just as you would expect… awesome. You ever see that new documentary bigger, stronger, faster? Two of the three brothers are juicers.

One of them looks pretty good but not incredibly impressive given that you know he is on the sauce. The second brother was a dud wrestler back in the WWF back in the day. His body is just garbage juice or no juice.

You can have “great insertion points” but if you don’t respond well to the drugs you are not going to be a pro contender. You need both. You don’t need “good genetics” in a natural lifting sense.

You need good genetics in terms of roids working better on you and the average person. A lot better. A lot has been said that Lee Priest doesn’t even take that high a dose. It just works really really well on him.

This is just my little rant on what i consider “good genetics” in bodybuidling. Does it matter if Levrone looks like that natural and out of shape if he takes a little sauce and 6 weeks later he looks better then anyone who has ever posted to this forum?[/quote]

lets not forget kevin levrone also used esiclene to help fill out parts of his physique, so even someone who responds very well to aas needs a little extra help.

whats esiclene?

Everyone bitching about Levrone can shut the fuck up because 99% of the people on this board aren’t going to be half the man he was, yet ever look like him.

He was one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time, had the best pro record at one time, and was robbed numerous times at the olympia haveing a few second place finishes.

His philopshy was lift heavy, eat a shitload (pounds of chicken breasts, beef, flounder, rice, and mixed veggies a day), and to give 110% at all times.

I think if people followed his example we’d have many more successful bodybuilders today. He also works with children and was even acknowledged and given medals on several occasions by the state of Maryland.

Point is, the man was absolute beast and anyone dissing him should wake the fuck up, and show him some respect. He’s moved on and has a wife and kid and is doing what HE wants to do, not what anyone thinks he should do. He can be that 260 pound monster in less than a year if he wanted to.